Any quality notebook with these specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by exigentsky, Oct 16, 2010.

1. exigentsky macrumors regular

I'm looking for something with the specs of the Vaio Z but a bigger screen 14"+ and a better graphics card (maybe 400M series). USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0 and SATA 3.0 would also be very welcome.

It's hard to find good high-end laptops and Apple's specs on the MBP are no longer impressive. Does anyone know of such a laptop from a reputable company? Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

400M Series? You won't have but a couple of hours of battery life with that. Asus' Bamboo edition PC has one USB 3.0 port, but still SATA 3Gb/s.

Big note, notebooks are not going to see your specs and be sleek and slim.

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Try the Republic of Gamers series from ASUS. They come with most of the specs your looking for.

4. exigentsky thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't the 400M series just the update to the 300M series? I thought there were similar voltage options. Moreover, you can always turn it on or off as needed. Anyway, the Z is almost there except the graphics card, which still isn't bad, so I have hope. I thought the screen would be too small at first but given it's ridiculous resolution, it will have much more screen real-estate.

BTW: I looked at the Asus one but pretty much anything quad core and with a GTX line graphics card will be large, weigh a ton and have a short battery life.

5. exigentsky thread starter macrumors regular

I was mistaken. The 425M can use up to 35W while the 330M maxes out at 23W. Still, given Apple's gigantic battery, I think they have the rare luxury of being able to use a faster card. It wouldn't be on all the time anyway.

However, there's an even better option in the AMD HD 5650 which consumes far less than the 330M while providing much better performance.

6. joei macrumors newbie