Any real contenders for the ipad3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johnnyturbouk, Feb 24, 2012.

1. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    With the iPad 3 set for release in the following few weeks - bringing retina display, faster processor,?increased memory- can android, Samsung, windows really compare against the original kingpin of the tablets!

I have the ipad1 -long awaiting the ipad3- just interested what the followers would bring

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The iPad delivers the "Apple" experience. Androids tablet are very advanced but are different, the system is more open that Apple. Does NOT require software like iTunes to run. That is GOOD!

There is also the Window 8 tablets coming soon! These Win8 tabs are going to be very interesting.

3. MultiMediaWill, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

My brain hurts from the grammar. But no, nothing will come close to the iPad 3. Nothing comes close to the iPad 2 right now.

4. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

-

5. 62tele macrumors 6502a

I am not sure what "very advanced" means nor am I sure how being "very open" improves anything. Vendors are offering to throw in an Android phone with purchase of the tablet. Why is that necessary? Answer: because of low consumer interest.
    Windows tablets with mobile software won't be released until late this year and will have a and time gaining a foothold.

There are no threats to iPad at this time.

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah only ones I can see competing are windows 8 tablets. Just look at the transformer prime and imagine that with Windows on it and you can see how that would appeal to alot of people. Personally I like what rim is doing with there tablet, the is is awesome and I'm enjoying the playbook as my secondary tablet, but unless they can get the app support and release new hardware with a high res screen I don't them competing much with iPad3 except on price.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple is selling 170,000 iPads a day today. Every single day.

They are literally in a class by themselves.

Invest in a winner or buy something "interesting" - it's clearly your choice.

8. M87 macrumors 65816

I don't think anyone can compete right now. There are a lot of things a competitor has to have. Hardware, apps, accessories, support, updates. Apple has the advantage. They have their own great software so they can just decide to port GarageBand, iMovie, iPhoto, etc. I'm a musician and it's really incredible all of the third-party accessories that are available for iOS devices, high quality stuff too (though there is a lot of junk too). And it's only going to get better.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

lots of competition out there. wait until tuesday when everyone announces their new tech crack. if you are into the apple experience (there are lots of reasons to be), then there is nothing. if you are looking for something else, android has finally released a solid os, and windows is coming out with big things. it's an exciting time.

whatever happens, i think we can bet the ipad 3 will be impressive :)

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's what I'm waiting for.

11. johnnyturbouk thread starter macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Since divorcing windows based machines, I have never looked backed!

I do however find the closed, archive less paradigm adopted by apple a little frustrating at times. But it just works, and jail-breaking solves any issues I have with iOS restrictions!

12. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

From a technical perspective, there are always going to be Android based devices released later in the year with better hardware specs that tech blogs eat up and can't wait to crown as the device to beat the iPad.

The sales numbers will tell a different story, and at the end of the day iPad 3 will probably be the huge commercial success everyone thinks it will be.

13. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

They cant compete with ipad2, how will they ever catch up to ipad3 is beyond me.

14. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

The iPad 2 with iOS 5, and the iPad 3 with iOS 5.1, DO NOT REQUIRE iTunes to use. (and the iPhone!, and the iPod Touch)

15. jaymes420 macrumors newbie

i think there are going to be contenders for the iPad 3, maybe not technically, but as long as there's people out there that simply cannot afford to spend 400+ on a tablet, then there's going to be competition for any apple product.

the problem i have with android tablets isnt so much the technology as some of them have some nice tech behind them. but what lets android down is unlike apple iPad where everybody has the same access to the apple store, depending on which android tablet you buy you might not have access to the official Android market, but instead can only download apps and games from the lesser "Appslib" market..which is terrible!!, not even apps like Facebook and twitter work!, the market is full of bad press and apps that fail to work. and this shines back very badly on the tablets themselves. tablets are only as good as the software you can get for them.

that's why i sold my android tablet and im moving to apple! where i can get any app i need from one source. and i know their going to work when i download them...and to me.. that's reason enough to move from android to apple

16. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That's for sure, Apple can't maintain this total leadership for long.
    Android tablets are growing in quality quickly, and is very naive to state no tablet can, or does, compete with the iPad 2.
    Very childish and fanboy-ish is also the attitude towards the perfection of Apple's products compared to the uselessness and ugliness of rivals. But that's another story. ;)

17. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

The only tablet i know off would be the transformer prime with the new full hd resolution thats coming q2.

But then you cant really compare android to ios. After being given the current transformer prime from work, i really do have to say i kinda like alot from android. Its not laggy at all as it was, and i love the ability to do what i want.

Want to download a avi file from piratebay or a mkv (legal of course :O)
    then its no problem. The shame is that the ui isnt as streamlined and crashes do happen (all though rarely). Also their app library is kinda small and lack some aaa titles.

That being said, after trying a android based tablet, i do find it very interesting. Also their home screen beats ios by kinda a lot. The ios home screen is just a grid of icons, feels like wasted space. I do like my ipad more, but its good to know competition is getting better.

In my eyes those who bash android has 1. never tried it. 2. tried a early revision of android when its was hella laggy and didnt work well

18. maclook macrumors 65816

That's huge. I can't even download an mp3 to my iPad, which artists do give out legally. Despite getting rid of "connect to iTunes", iOS is very much dependent on a PC. I only hope Apple realizes this and isn't delusional enough to think that people can get everything they want from iTunes and the App Store

19. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am not convinced Windows 8 is going to do that well in the tablet market. It is basically a new OS when it comes to touch screens and Android/iOS have a massive head start in terms of apps. Sure you can probably run normal Windows apps on it too (if you get the x86 version), but there is a reason Windows tablets haven't sold well in the past; mouse/keyboard apps are pretty unusable on a touch screen.

Apple's strength in recent years has been that when a market starts to become saturated, they move on to the next big thing. They brought out the iPod, but saw mobiles being used for music, so brought out the iPhone. The iPod then became the iPad. In a few years time there will probably be little to differentiate the different tablets, but Apple would have brought out the next big thing by then.

20. Cobster macrumors member

So far nobody knows for sure just what the next iPad model are binging to the table... But Apple sure are the tablet "trendsetter" and are probably about to take an other lap ahead...

21. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

Personally, I think an Asus Transformer Prime running on Windows 8 will make for an interesting competitor.

The latest version has a 1920x1200 resolution display, which is close enough to 2048x1536, especially on a 10 inch tablet. The brightness was awesome, and Anandtech really liked the panel in terms of color reproduction.

The form factor, weight and build quality are all pretty good on the Transformer Prime and I would expect Asus to keep it up on their future releases.

The cameras were good as well, much better than the iPad 2's, but we'll have to see the iPad 3's cameras to know how they compare.

The battery life was a bit shorter than the iPad 2's, but the keyboard dock extends it to 15 or 16 hours.

Tegra 3 might be slower than the A5X, but then again it might not. Either way it's still pretty fast and runs everything easily right now.

Software wise Windows 8 looks very interesting, and we'll have the consumer preview in a few days. I've been playing around with a HTC Radar and WP7 at least runs very very smoothly. So basically the biggest downside will be app selection, but with the Microsoft store and the ability to run x86 apps, I don't know how long it'll take for MS to obtain a good amount of great apps for their platform.

Biggest value add for me though, would be the keyboard dock. I just can't type fast or accurately enough on any tablet for them to be useful right now :(

22. palpatine, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

palpatine macrumors 68040

i am actually liking android (ice cream sandwich) a lot. in a lot of ways, i prefer it to ios 5, and i'd pick it over the ipad 2 just for the os. i'd call it a good competitor, and at 100 dollars less than the ipad (32gb) it is a surprisingly good deal (assuming you can find one).

i don't know enough about windows 8. maybe it will be good, but it's hard for me to get too excited about it. i wonder what they will offer that ics and ios don't. maybe just the office apps?

as for the prime, i am still on the fence about the tf201. i'm pretty pleased with it overall, but as i mentioned in another thread, there are some niggles. will the tf700t be ok with higher resolution, the same processor, and a higher price than the ipad? i kind of doubt it.

ics is a good competitor. there are finally a lot of great apps in the marketplace. the marketplace is much more open than apple's, so i can find some great stuff that i'll never see in itunes. but, when it comes to the devices, i think the ipad 3 (assuming it has what i think it will, and assuming the price is the same) will be stiff competition for another year.

by the way, there will be some androids, some apples, and some windows who will never consider competitors to be any good. stepping beyond our own idosyncratic needs, i think there is plenty of room out there for different approaches. there is certainly enough for two, but i do wonder a little about three...

23. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I have yet to see anything as good as the iPad. Apple balances out the iPad so it does most things really well not just one thing. In my opinion and alot of others iOS is just far ahead of android. iOS 99% of the time get the best apps and gets them first. That's because the money is in iOS. Not to mention Apple developers have a reputation on not wanting to develop for other platforms ie Windows.

That being said I am thankful for Android as it keeps Apple innovating and gives us an option. It's just a preference just like I like hot girls and some men don't.

24. M87 macrumors 65816

Then you don't know what you're doing.

25. GearDriven macrumors newbie

What do you use/plan to use your tablet for? For me -- no Foreflight/WingX for Android (well they sell incomplete versions I guess) is the deal killer...