Any reason not to get the free Microcell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, May 17, 2011.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

Longtime ATT user and currently have the iPhone 4 with unlimited data.

Well today I get the letter in the mail telling me I can now get a free Microcell. I guess my question is, is there any reason NOT to take advantage of the offer. I get so so coverage in my house but it seems like it's gotten better of late. Are there any hidden fees, hacks, etc that I need to be aware of?

Thanks
    David

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I think there is a time commitment or something? What's in the letter?

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

There's a one year commitment and I usually have this lag time that occurs which means I always have to wait a few seconds before the call connects.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

This is in the letter:

*Retail price is regularly $199.99. Free MicroCell requires a 12-month equipment agreement. Agreement states that you will either return the device to AT&T or purchase it at a prorated cost if you terminate your wireless service within 12 months. MicroCell agreement is separate from the contract(s) relating to your wireless service and will not impact upgrade eligibility or wireless contract end date. Offer expires June 15, 2011.

Here are the terms of service:

http://connectech.att.com/static/TermsOfService.html

You have to use it for 12 months. It can cause a problem if you have a good wireless signal.

I have a strong signal and don't need it. :)

5. blevins321, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

Friend of mine just got one (discounted in-store to $50) after some begging and the only problem that they seem to have is when unauthorized AT&T users come into the house they lose signal entirely. You have to login online and add users; up to 10 can be on the list and either 4 or 5 can use it at the same time.

Edit: What I mean is that the unauthorized people lose service. The microcell users keep chugging along fine.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Do they charge you monthly fees for using the "free" microcell?

7. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

The best I can tell, no. There are no associated fees with it.

I think I'm going to at least give it a try. Not sure I really have anything to loose.

I'm currently sitting on 4 bars and usually get between 2-4 here in the house.