Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Any reason Apple can't make a full wireless keyboard, with the numpad and delete keys, and whatnot?

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
Any reason Apple can't make a full wireless keyboard, with the numpad and delete keys, and whatnot?

I Agree where is it!
I bought the usb wired Apple Keyboard with the numerical keypad. It's great, it is just what i wanted except for the wire. I am fine with it now, and you have two extra usb ports in the sides of keyboard, so I like it.
Definitely recommend it.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I certainly hope there is one. But I think Apple loves going small with their peripherals (yeah a 27" iMac aint exactly small, but it is actually a "small" desktop compared to regular PC tower or MacPro :p)

And in the near future, I can't foresee if Apple going to produce wireless keyboard with numpad. They just sell less and less Mac desktop nowadays :(

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Full wireless keyboard would really be nice as many of us need those extra functions.
Meanwhile if you need it you can use apples wireless keyboard together with the wireless number pad Apple sells and get the magic wand to put them together into one.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Full wireless keyboard would really be nice as many of us need those extra functions.
Meanwhile if you need it you can use apples wireless keyboard together with the wireless number pad Apple sells and get the magic wand to put them together into one.

Agree. Apple is always care about the look :D
The one without the number pad is definitely cooler and simple :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That Is A

Very good question, one which I am going to put to my friend at Apple. I remember when I bought my iMac, the option was usb with numeric, wireless without.

I can see no reason why a full size keyboard could not be produced. I need the numeric keypad or would have opted for the wireless version.

Watch this space....I will email her now:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Still Doesn't Explain

As this is not a new question, you may find helpful responses in some of the existing threads on this topic:

Why no wireless keyboard with numeric keypad?
Full size Apple Wireless Keyboard with numberpad?

Why Apple don't produce one themselves. It could be a cost issue, and yes third party options do exist, but the crop mark offering has a nasty habit of moving out of reach.

I've emailed my Apple friend she should know. I for one would buy one if I could find an acceptable offering.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I'd certainly buy a full wireless keyboard. I'm not quite sure why it's not an option. I really miss forward delete and page buttons....

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Just Had This

Back from my friend at Apple, so if anyone feels strongly enough about it, post a suggestion to the web site in the email:

(I will be)

Hi Jeff,

Great question! I am not aware of a technical reason why there isn't a wireless numeric keyboard. I wish I had a more specific answer for you. We do welcome your (and your forum friends') feedback however, and this can be submitted at
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I'd certainly buy a full wireless keyboard. I'm not quite sure why it's not an option. I really miss forward delete and page buttons....

I also miss the extra buttons when using the wireless keyboard or my MBP keyboard, but aster a few seconds of needing one of them, I realize which keyboard that I am on and remember the key combos. I do have the full Apple USB keyboard at my desk when I need the big monitor, though.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Things to consider:

How well balanced would this larger wireless keyboard be if it rests on the lap with the same number of batteries currently in use? And how much money would Apple have to throw at their R&D department in order to come up with such a device?

Why throw R&D money at such a device when the company is already working on exactly such a peripheral, except one with a backlit keyboard, along with a corded cousin?

If the primary purpose of making a device wireless is to make it portable, why would one hinder the portability of such a device with the added bulk of an additional 27+ square inches of space and 30+ additional keys?

Why develop such a device when there's plenty of 3rd party keyboards that have a number pad and are wireless?

Why spend the effort developing a fancier wireless keyboard when you can just develop yet another iPad and make billions and billions of moneys on that instead.

I'm not saying a wireless keyboard with the delete key and the number pad would be a bad idea, but Apple does have some reasons why they wouldn't develop such a thing. Or who knows, maybe this is just another screw-up like the hockey-puck mouse. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.