Any reason why my rMBP is taking so long to start up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Aug 21, 2012.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I've had it for about 3 days and the first 2 days it was doing great with start up times... this morning it was great also but this afternoon when I started it up it took a while but I thought it was a fluke now I'm getting start up times that range to a minute long.

What in the world can it be? The only thing I have installed on this sucker is google chrome.

2. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Oh man, what a bad luck... If you exchange it you'll probably get an LG screen... Sorry, but I literally LOLed...

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Run a series of tests on the SSD to check for speed variances. CrystalMark can help you with that task.

4. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Perform the Apple Hardware Test:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

5. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah its kind of weird, at times it'll boot up under 10-15 seconds. Then it'll have really long shutdown times. Then it'll be opposite in which it has long boot up times and then short shutdown times. And then it'll be fast either way.

6. LEARN2MAKE macrumors member

LEARN2MAKE

Not sure if this could be your problem, but its happened to me a few times:

I do a nightly clone to an external USB drive. Sometimes when I restart if the USB drive is attached, it boots from the clone. The first time it did this I was confused because it booted and ran slower and the files I'd worked on that day were missing as well as a few settings I'd changed and programs I'd installed. Then I figured out I was running off of the clone from the night before. I detached the USB and rebooted and everything was running lightning quick again.

Hope you figure out what is happening and get it fixed!

7. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I haven't attached anything on it. But right now its acting fine again... idk if its because it's still new? But thank you for your input! Much appreciated!

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Have a look at you settings; System Preferences Start up Disk, if it`s set to Network the system can be very slow to start from the internal drive.

9. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think it was, when I did that the only option that was there was my internal HD so I just selected it.

10. kurayami88 macrumors newbie

make sure you don't have any external drives connected to it during start up... else it will attempt to read all bootable 1st (detecting if your external is bootable or not) before actually starting up...

11. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

I just checked this on my old Macbook and unlike this one I had the option of the HD and the "Network Startup" that you referred toward. Weird that it's not an option on this one yet it was on my old one when selecting a Startup Disk.

12. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

What are the results of the tests we asked you to run?

13. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

After going to disk startup and selecting the HD on the Macbook the results are far more consistent now. Startup and shutdown times are fast and again consistent where as earlier it was varied.

When I got to disk startup nothing was selected but there was no other option than the internal harddrive so I chose it.

Yet on my old Macbook when I went to disk startup "network setup" was an option that was selectable other than the harddrive.

14. Queen6, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I am not in front of my Retina now, however i do know that if Network is selected the system will search for the network drive and the start up time is delayed waiting the null response. As nothing was selected the system may have been going through all boot options prior to starting from the internal drive, this would likely result in aprox 30 sec delay in boot time on top of the SSD`s time

15. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Either way thanks for your advice!

When I went into startup disk nothing was selected and there was no option for "network" the only thing that was selectable was my internal harddrive so I choose it and so far it's been consistent with the fast boot and shutdown times.

16. EyeLoveMac macrumors newbie

No actually it tends to be opposite to what you have suggested.

OP, long shutdown times tend to occur when you leave an application (or a couple) open while trying to shut down. Make sure you have quit all applications and your shut down times will be like 4-5seconds all the time.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The internal drive should be selected, so it may be no more complex than this as the system is now responding consistently. I rarely reboot my Macs, so i don't have a good number for booting 10 - 15 sounds about right for the Retina, depending on what you have starting up.

18. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

You need to run a verbose boot and check your shutdown / start up logs!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

There is currently an annoying bug in ML that shutdown log in console is not working, in verbose mode I often see shutdown monitor shutting before the shutdown process completes.

Verbose mode will show you what is causing your shutdown to hang, and for example Parallels often causes multiple process kill requests to hang.

I tend to always run with verbose mode enabled:

Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
    to revert back to non-verbose mode:

Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args=""

19. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Thinks for this piece of wisdom. I was having kernel panics on my new rMBP. Try this when I get home