Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So how do you like it so far? I've tried this before, and sort of missed my email functionality plus all the alert customizations. Not a huge deal now but then the jailbreak was such a battery killer so I went back. Not sure if this has improved with the new iphone4 and the new os. Should I wait for the jailbreak? Switch now? Thoughts?

Al3x87

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
Neah.. Iphone 4 is better than any other phone. You can use it for bussiness with no problems. My dad has an Blackberry Curve 8520, and Iphone it's better in any respect.

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
i went from blackberry curve to the iphone 3gs when it first came out and have never looked back, i phone all the way, iphone 4 now.

pudgey7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
I just switched over from owning a storm.....I had defended bb for over 5 years, gheeezzzz I was wrong!
I am speechless! I gave my crapberry to my daughter, I don't even think she wants it

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I was in the same exact boat as you. I have owned BB's for 5 years, had all the newest and best up until the 9000. While owning my BB's I was an iPhone hater, I owned a 2G and hated it so freakin much that I gave it away.

I didnt even think of getting an iPhone til I saw all the great features of the 4. They basically stole the best stuff from BB and created the best phone ever.

As much as I love BB, they are about 2 generations behind everyone else. And everyone follows the iphone, and for a reason.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Keep em coming guys, if this petition gets long enough I may be purchasing it tonight as long as my bb 9700 buyer meets me later lol.

How do you bb guys get past the notifications? How has ios4 improved with notifications?

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Hey there... here is more fuel for your fire. I got the iPhone 3G when it came out and used the SIM in my Bold (my 4th BB in 5 years) during the week and switched out during the weekends. With the new iPhone4, I was so impressed with it, I got a seperate line for my work email on my BB and use the iPhone4 as my main phone - IT BLOWS my BB Bold away...

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Been using the iPhone for about 6 months, coming from a Blackberry, and although I do switch back to it every now and then, I like my iPhone much better.... The browser, and camera on my iPhone 4 can't be touched....

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Prior to release, I had a feeling that what turned out to be the Torch would be disappointing, so I sold my 9700 in June and bought a 3GS on Craigslist when iOS4 came out. Switched to iphone4 in mid July.

I sometimes miss the notifications customization ability and the LED from my BB9700. But really it's not a big deal for me; I'm not on-call and don't have to jump on every email the very second it shows up (seriously, how did we as a society get so tied up into expectations of 24x7 immediate availability???). I also really never used BBM, so that was no loss either.

In nearly all other aspects my iP4 so completely blows away my old BB9700 that it's just not fair to compare. I've read the reviews about the Torch and am very glad I made the choice I did.

BTW, I carry my iP4 in an Incase Snap (smoke) and it fits perfectly in a Verizon OEM Blackberry 9650 holster I picked up off ebay for $8 or so. :)

pudgey7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
The only thing I miss from my storm is the flashing blue light....a stupid little light

sauced

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
O Canada...
I made the switch and I love it! After seeing the BB Torch and the OS6 video, I decided to make the switch because Blackberries just aren't innovative anymore.

I will say that the only things I do miss from my BB are the keyboard (I definitely typed faster on that), BBM (if only because I liked seeing the read/delivered status) and the LED light.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I got a seperate line for my work email on my BB and use the iPhone4 as my main phone

and although I do switch back to it every now and then

You 2 concern me a bit lol. You cant make the complete switch.

I will miss the heck out of those pretty led lights. I had disco patterns going for alerts, they can become addictive. Nothing that important though.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Switching to an iPhone 4 from a Curve 8310, I miss the physical keyboard, LED notification, vast notification options, "notification bar" (as opposed to popups that disappear, or numbers slapped over icons when I can't always see the app list), and battery life.

That being said, I would never go back.

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
My IP4 is my first iphone and i'm a long time BB user. My last was a Bold. My IP4 is wayyyy better. I much more enjoy it over the BB. The only thing going for the BB in my case is the notification system. I dont mind the missing blinking light but the intrusive pop up's get me. I've installed BiteSMS and it makes the SMS's easier to deal with for sure. Lockinfo also helps me so i can see on the lockscreen what has come in.

That being said i know Apple has heard the complaints about its notification system. They hired the designer of the WebOS notification system, which is outstanding, early in the summer so i'd expect iOS5 to have a revised system.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
. Lockinfo also helps me so i can see on the lockscreen what has come in.

But I would have to be jailbroken to use this?

I may be buying and iphone tonight or over the weekend, chances are this will come with 4.1? Which I'm hoping its not so I can jailbreak or I wont be able to correct?

B.winkle

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
I switched from a BB Storm to 3GS last fall. Much happier with the Iphone. Only thing I miss is the GPS on the Verizon network; beats the Iphone hands down. My wife has a Droid X which comes close, but not quite. I like my Iphone so much I bought an Imac 21.5........:D

ivan300

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
I switched from a BB Storm to 3GS last fall. Much happier with the Iphone. Only thing I miss is the GPS on the Verizon network; beats the Iphone hands down. My wife has a Droid X which comes close, but not quite. I like my Iphone so much I bought an Imac 21.5........:D

Wait you miss the GPS on the Verizon network? You do realize that GPS is its own network of satellites which is independent of any carrier?

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
You 2 concern me a bit lol. You cant make the complete switch.

I will miss the heck out of those pretty led lights. I had disco patterns going for alerts, they can become addictive. Nothing that important though.

Mac

The ONLY reason I have not done a complete switch is my Company does not support iPhone corporate email yet... once it does i will ditch my BB line as it has no contract on that line as I already had the device.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had the BB Bold (9000) for two years before I got my iPhone 4 last month and I couldn't be happier with the switch.

One thing that I miss is the flashing red LED for when I missed a call or got an email or something. Also the speaker volume (for calls) seems low on the iPhone compared to my Bold. And of course I miss BBM.

Other than those though, IMO everything is better on the iPhone. No need for Google Sync anymore for full email push (Gmail set up as Exchange), along with OTA contacts and calendar sync. Love the iphone's GPS, and the hardware build quality is light years ahead of RIM's. I'm no longer at my carrier's mercy to give me the latest BB OS. And I don't miss all my carrier's logos and bloatware all over my device.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Mac

The ONLY reason I have not done a complete switch is my Company does not support iPhone corporate email yet... once it does i will ditch my BB line as it has no contract on that line as I already had the device.

Good luck with that although I do hear alot companies are considering androids and iphones.

I had the BB Bold (9000) for two years before I got my iPhone 4 last month and I couldn't be happier with the switch.

One thing that I miss is the flashing red LED for when I missed a call or got an email or something. Also the speaker volume (for calls) seems low on the iPhone compared to my Bold. And of course I miss BBM.

Other than those though, IMO everything is better on the iPhone. No need for Google Sync anymore for full email push (Gmail set up as Exchange), along with OTA contacts and calendar sync. Love the iphone's GPS, and the hardware build quality is light years ahead of RIM's. I'm no longer at my carrier's mercy to give me the latest BB OS. And I don't miss all my carrier's logos and bloatware all over my device.

I dont know what it is about those led's , I may have to buy an led keychain to play with. If you dont mind me asking where can I find a good read on setting up gmail as exchange, sounds interesting and something I may try.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

^^^

Setting up your Gmail for OTA push/sync for your emails, calendar(s) and contacts is easy and works great:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

Edit: someone beat me to it (not exactly).

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I went from 9700 > iPhone 4 > 9800.

I wanted to like the i4 (mostly to have a solid all-in-one device and something that would seamlessly sync up with my MBP), but there were a few things that I just couldn't get around.

First off, the glass exterior of the device was terrible mistake on Apple's part. It is very fragile (I don't care what Apple says) and is easily scratched. I always felt like I was having to handle my mother's fine china when I was putting the phone down on the counter.

Second, the placement of the antenna stack is a big issue and the lack of a coating around it to keep your hand from becoming a signal muffler seems like it would have been avoidable. Its not a big issue for some but, it was for me.

Third, while iOS is a pretty solid OS overall, the lack of a proper notification system is just baffling to me. I tried to get around it...I really wanted to get around it. But in the end it was just a really big deal.

I am going to stick with the Torch until next summer and will take a look at the 5th generation iPhone then. Hopefully there will be an update in design and a new version of iOS that resolves some of the issues I have with it.

Just my $0.02

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So how do you like it so far? I've tried this before, and sort of missed my email functionality plus all the alert customizations. Not a huge deal now but then the jailbreak was such a battery killer so I went back. Not sure if this has improved with the new iphone4 and the new os. Should I wait for the jailbreak? Switch now? Thoughts?

It is pretty clear from your post that you would still hate the iPhone. 9700 is getting OS 6.0 so the browser will get better.

The iPhone OS has changed very little since day one. Yes some new features have been added in but the same things you hated about the iPhone are still there.

(lack of customization, one of the worse notification system out there of any phone ect.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.