Any reviews on the new "Smart covers"?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Clint1583, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Clint1583 macrumors regular

Any reviews yet on the new covers? Are they worth getting or should I go with a sleeve for better protection?

2. ATLswmr macrumors newbie

Smells horrible...I have a headache from it. Plus I don't think it's all that great in terms of protection. I am going to couple it with a sleeve until a good case comes out...hopefully within 30 days, so I can return the smart cover. Waste of money!

3. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

It protects the screen well and magnets seem strong. Mine slipped right into place with no issue. Cover goes all the way back to fold over to back of pad. Seems pricey not covering entire pad, but does what's advertise protecting the front screen. Wakes from sleep with pulling corners back quickly. Leather scratches quickly, but like the feel.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Finally an honest review. I agree they look like a gimick. No back protection. Wow, it turns on when you open it BFD.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

Personally I'm very pleased with mine so far. Obviously these aren't meant for serious full-body protection. However, it is just enough to keep the screen protected when closed and folding it into a stand works surprisingly well so far. Automatic unlocking sounds like a useless gimmick, but frankly there is something very satisfying about not having to swipe to unlock it all the time.

For reference, I have always kept my iPad 1 naked except when it's in a briefcase, so heavy protection isn't my main concern.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't like it. When you have it open, there's nothing that makes it attracted to the back of the device, so you have to hold it. I will probably keep it until closer to the Best Buy 30-day return period and return it in exchange for a 3rd-party case.

7. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I really like the leather cover, works great for typing and protects the screen very well

8. me2000 macrumors 6502

One word.. Awesome.

Keeps the entire screen protected.

9. NYCphone macrumors member

I like it with the exception of using as a portrait stand - angle seems wrong - possible i'm not folding it correctly...

10. omyard macrumors regular

I like mine so far. I don't need a bulky case since I've never dropped my iPad or iPhone and almost never take my iPad away from home. So I'm good with just the front protection and the magnetic gimmicks of the Smart Case.

11. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

It's a great screen protector, and I enjoy the design. I also like the way it sleeps/wakes the iPad.

However, it does nothing for shock and probably isn't best for transporting it in a briefcase, etc.

I'll give it a week and find a sleeve that will fit it with the cover on.

I definitely won't get rid of it. It's well-designed.

12. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I think it is pretty awesome. I picked up the black leather and it smells fine. :D

13. iserian macrumors 6502

Have you confirmed its thirty days.... apple gal told me fourteen on all ipad number two accessories.

14. iserian macrumors 6502

Did you just say never.... kiss of death.:eek:

15. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I like it but I wouldn't use it by itself. It does a good job protecting the screen but I am glad that I have a sleeve also. I have the navy leather one and. Have to say that the leather is really nice.

16. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Skeptical when I saw it advertised ... Skeptical when I saw in store ... Bought anyway (yeah yeah) and after a few hours I am thinking I should have went with my gut and not gotten it.

It provides ZERO back protection. Biggest complaint is when you have it folded to the back it doesn't hold on so when you are scrolling ... Typing etc. You have to hold the cover or it wants to fold and fall away from the iPad.

It is a nice stand and that is about it. Apple duped me on this one but I will return it and get them back! :)

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I like mine too. I'm glad to see that there is no metal on metal contact. There are small pads on the aluminum part of the cover.

18. DimeTech macrumors member

Leading up to today, I was totally on the fence about the smart cover. After using it now, I have to say that this is one high quality little cover. Ya it doesn't offer much in terms of protection on the back of the iPad, but seeing how the hinge/magnets work so well really just remind me of another high quality apple product. Everyone was whining about the hinge potentially scratching the side of the iPad, but of course apple thought of that by putting a couple rubber-y strips in there. also I saw someone mention that when you fold it up, the inside microfiber is actually on the outside of the stand, with the potential to get dirty and maybe even scratch the screen. Not only can you fold it the other way to have the top of the cover on the outside, but the magnets in the cover actually keep the stand pretty solid. This in combination with some type of back cover/protection and you're good to go. Just my $.02.

19. advan031 macrumors 6502

I like the smart cover a lot (bought black leather), now I need something to protect the back either film or an airjacket.

20. omyard macrumors regular

Yeah, really. I just remembered my Dad invited me to dinner Sunday and wants to see it. I'm sure I'll manage to drop it or something and feel like a jackass for not getting an actual case.

21. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Just adding my quick thoughts about the Smart Case as well.... I got the Black leather one and while I was skeptical, I think its fantastic. After having reviewed sooooo many cases its fantastic to see Apple trying to push a product that helps to contain the beauty and style of the iPad. While I may find something to protect the rear of the iPad 2, I love the Smart Case. It's extremely useful with its angles, slimming, micro-fiber lining to keep it clean and of course the magnetic features are really slick.

The combo of the Smart Case and the Waterfield Ultimate Sleeve Case will be my method of protection :cool:

22. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

i got the leather one. the fitment is top notch. i liked the way it attached to the ipad initially. the inside part of the cover attracts dust way too easily, in turn is already dirtying the screen. maybe the polyurethane ones are different in that regard.

23. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Buying protection that needs to be used with more protection is a fail.

24. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I bought the grey polyurethane version and I think it's great. I love how it stands the iPad up, I can have it on my stomach while laying on my back or on the bed and it stays up by itself. I know there are a lot of cases that do this but they also add bulk which takes away from the design of the iPad.

I'm not too concerned about the back as I never really have it resting on the back. If not in use, then I cover the front and then set it face down on the table.

As for when the cover is folded back, I fold the cover itself in half and it sticks to itself and I find it actually makes the iPad easier to hold with one hand, sort of acts like a grip (in portrait mode).

25. tsekh macrumors member

I got a red leather one. I want it red but I wish it was available in non-leather, because the leather ones are really expensive. But I like leather case in general, so I thought if this was a high quality leather case then that'd be fine for me.

Big mistake. I know that all leather has grains and spots here and there, which is the nature of leather. But mine has a big spot in the middle and some very visible grains along the one of the edges. Overall they makes my cover looks like it had been used for a few years. I'm bringing it back to Apple store tomorrow to see if I can get it replaced. I hope they don't bs me and say their warranty/return policies do not cover cosmetic defect. We buy covers like this that offer minimal protection purely for cosmetic reason.