Any Rumors On what's New Hardware/Software On WWDC?

G-Funk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Miami , FL
Just wondering if any of you may have news or Rumors of what is expected on this years WWDC ? Please share them with us !

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
aswitcher said:
Whoa. That would be impressive but I dont think so. :p
well if qt7 is out by then (for windows), im pretty sure it will be available as an h.264 stream.

i cant see it being live tho; wwdc is a developers event, not a consumer event, so they never stream it live, do they?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
asif786 said:
well if qt7 is out by then (for windows), im pretty sure it will be available as an h.264 stream.

i cant see it being live tho; wwdc is a developers event, not a consumer event, so they never stream it live, do they?

Not anymore....plus if they did and unencrypted wireless people might capture it.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
snkTab said:
I wonder if the keynote will be streamed live in h.264.
Actually it would be best for Apple to stream the keynote in H.264 since it'll give users much better quality while lowering the bandwidth requirements (and total bandwidth).

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
snkTab said:
I wonder if the keynote will be streamed live in h.264.
I also wish that Apple would stream Keynotes live. It seems that Steve has decided against the practice. MWSF would have been the most likely, but they didn't.
:(

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
G-Funk said:
Just wondering if any of you may have news or Rumors of what is expected on this years WWDC ? Please share them with us !
a new 'scroll pad' mouse
and maybe airport stuff as well

credibility=0, but hey, it'd be cool :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yvan256 said:
Actually it would be best for Apple to stream the keynote in H.264 since it'll give users much better quality while lowering the bandwidth requirements (and total bandwidth).
But people without a G5 will have trouble seeing it. This means anyone with a Mac laptop. :(

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Abstract said:
But people without a G5 will have trouble seeing it. This means anyone with a Mac laptop. :(
Only if they stream a HD version of it (not likely). H.264 encoded video can be played back perfectly smoothly on a G4 as long as the resolution isn't super high. Remember, there are plans to use H.264 on video that will be played back on cell phones. Cell phones definitely do not have a G5-class processor.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Abstract said:
Please remember that h.264 does not have to be HD. It is a scaleable codec. I believe that Apple with make a non-HD stream available after the keynote. With the lower bandwidth requirements you should have fewer buffer issues.

Hickman

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
admanimal said:
Only if they stream a HD version of it (not likely). H.264 encoded video can be played back perfectly smoothly on a G4 as long as the resolution isn't super high. Remember, there are plans to use H.264 on video that will be played back on cell phones. Cell phones definitely do not have a G5-class processor.
Great minds think alike. ;)

Hickman

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think we will definitely see an update to the portables in June... wether it be totally new iBooks, or dual core powerbooks... somehting has to happen to our beloved books or theyre gonna seem like toys compared to products costing hundreds less.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
RJP31484 said:
I think we will definitely see an update to the portables in June... wether it be totally new iBooks, or dual core powerbooks... somehting has to happen to our beloved books or theyre gonna seem like toys compared to products costing hundreds less.
I'll see your June and raise it to Past the end of July for PowerBooks anyway. Probably later then July, more like Sept or Oct, hey but it's only guessing right? The real question is, will it be a major update or a 5 or 10% speed boost? If it is the later can they do another price decrease?

Brian

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
iMac HD

Wouldn't be surprised to see the iMac HD and of course the PowerBook HD.

This is the year of HD.

Take care,
Quark

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
PowerBooks

New Powerbooks with :

- Freescale e700 (64-bit) Dual core @ 15W
- 1.5GHz
- Super duper drive ( DL et. all )
- Radeon X800 mobility
- 100GB Hard Disc

And built in light saber...( Star Wars Edition ). :eek: :D :p

Max.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Eastend said:
I'll see your June and raise it to Past the end of July for PowerBooks anyway. Probably later then July, more like Sept or Oct, hey but it's only guessing right? The real question is, will it be a major update or a 5 or 10% speed boost? If it is the later can they do another price decrease?

Brian
Hey, as long as I get SOMETHING for waiting to buy a powerbook till September, ill be happy.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Express AV, JamBox, Open GL 2, Widgets, iPod Software & Alicia Keys

Airport Express AV would be cool for streaming photo slideshows with music to a television. It may also do video but I would not hold my breath for HD. Very few people in Apple's market have plasma displays. Anyway, other than music videos and film trailers there is very little legitimate video out there so unless iTunes for Movies is also introduced there is no reason to rush to market something like this.

My money is on the infamous 'Asteroid' peripheral being introduced. Apple owns the trademark to the name Jam Box so maybe that is what they will call it. For those who do not know, this product is an analogue to digital breakout box for audio capture and output. GarageBand users could plug microphones and electric guitars into this device and record their sessions on the computer. In my opinion it will definately be a FireWire device since USB would need a seperate power supply to power microphones and FireWire can do more channels in HD audio.

Since this is a Developer's Conference I expect a lot of talk about OS X 10.4 but no introduction of OS X 10.5 yet; too soon for that. Maybe Apple will preview Open GL 2.0 for OS X which is rumoured to be introduced in OS X 10.4.4 or later. I am sure that a lot of time will be spent talking about widgets and encouriging shareware authors to make more of them.

As for the iPod, it would be great to see Apple make it possible for developers to write software for it. By now there are propably more active iPods than Palms in the world and there are a lot of applications that could be usefull in it. Something I personally wish for is a timer and more games.

Anyway, it will be hard to top the last Mac-show where iPod Shuffle and Mac Mini were introduced. Perhaps they should call Alicia Keys back for another live performance.