Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cold_Steel

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Glouscestershire, UK
you reckon they are gonna release details of the new dual core G5s 40 days after the release of the 'speed bumped' PowerMacs?

Matt

Oh yeah my money is on dual core or dual-cpu G4 Powerbooks.... :D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Quark said:
Wouldn't be surprised to see the iMac HD and of course the PowerBook HD.

This is the year of HD.

Take care,
Quark

What do you mean iMac HD what more does it need to play HD :confused:

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Sol said:
Airport Express AV would be cool for streaming photo slideshows with music to a television. It may also do video but I would not hold my breath for HD. Very few people in Apple's market have plasma displays. Anyway, other than music videos and film trailers there is very little legitimate video out there so unless iTunes for Movies is also introduced there is no reason to rush to market something like this.

My money is on the infamous 'Asteroid' peripheral being introduced. Apple owns the trademark to the name Jam Box so maybe that is what they will call it. For those who do not know, this product is an analogue to digital breakout box for audio capture and output. GarageBand users could plug microphones and electric guitars into this device and record their sessions on the computer. In my opinion it will definately be a FireWire device since USB would need a seperate power supply to power microphones and FireWire can do more channels in HD audio.

Since this is a Developer's Conference I expect a lot of talk about OS X 10.4 but no introduction of OS X 10.5 yet; too soon for that. Maybe Apple will preview Open GL 2.0 for OS X which is rumoured to be introduced in OS X 10.4.4 or later. I am sure that a lot of time will be spent talking about widgets and encouriging shareware authors to make more of them.

As for the iPod, it would be great to see Apple make it possible for developers to write software for it. By now there are propably more active iPods than Palms in the world and there are a lot of applications that could be usefull in it. Something I personally wish for is a timer and more games.

Anyway, it will be hard to top the last Mac-show where iPod Shuffle and Mac Mini were introduced. Perhaps they should call Alicia Keys back for another live performance.

Open GL 2.0 that would be very good for apple I think....boost their so called crappy gaming performance :p

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
iMac HD

Platform said:
What do you mean iMac HD what more does it need to play HD :confused:
From the Apple perspective, this is what I was referring to:
From Apple said:
High Definition
Use the 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display to view high-definition serial digital interface (HD SDI) signals used in broadcast television environments at their true intended resolution.
Look at the resolution of the new Cinema displays. The HD designation doesn't appear until the resolution hits 1920x1200. The 20" iMac has only 1680 x 1050.

We should see the release of the special 20" iMac HD with a much higher pixel density. As well as the Powerbook HD with a much higher pixel density.

Take care,
Quark

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Quark said:
From the Apple perspective, this is what I was referring to:

Look at the resolution of the new Cinema displays. The HD designation doesn't appear until the resolution hits 1920x1200. The 20" iMac has only 1680 x 1050.

We should see the release of the special 20" iMac HD with a much higher pixel density. As well as the Powerbook HD with a much higher pixel density.

Take care,
Quark

Don't need more pixles just different config ;)

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1410382

Cold_Steel

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Glouscestershire, UK
Good time to buy a PoweMac

So, is now a good time to bag up a dualie 2.7 PowerMac or wait until after WWDC?

Seeming as I only use my current PBook for Office work, Website design (Dreamweaver + Flash MX) and a bit of Photoshop.

If jobs announces new G5s are they gonna look different and will the current ones 2.0, 2.3, 2.7s suddenly become old hat?

Matt

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Cold_Steel said:
Oh yeah my money is on dual core or dual-cpu G4 Powerbooks.... :D

Exactly. You've got to think dual core is coming to the powerbook first now. Otherwise the xServes.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Cooknn said:
What does SATA stand for :confused: out of the loop on this one...

Short for SATAnic. It's a hard drive with any version of Windows installed on it.

Serial AT ( reference to the original 16-bit PC ) Attachment. This is different than Parallel AT Attachment, which is what is though of when people think of when they think of an IDE hard Drive.

Max.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
macorama said:
Exactly. You've got to think dual core is coming to the powerbook first now. Otherwise the xServes.

As I said first ( and firmly believe ) I think it will be a significant PowerBook update. This Apple product that has had no significantly technology upgrade in a very long time. Even the iBook has made it to the G4, and the Power and iMacs have moved to the G5. While I doubt there is any way to put a G5 in this beast, I am positive they could do more than they are now to boost the performance. The Freescale Dual core is that solution.

Max.

ssh

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Higher resolution?

Perhaps higher resolution for the PowerBook's LCD?

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
new ibooks! :eek:

(i have no source or evidence other than the fact that the venerable buyers guide says that they are way overdue for an update... :mad: )

...and because I want one :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.