Any salty resellers out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nasa25, Nov 3, 2017.

1. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Must suck for resellers that there seems to be plenty of supply and not much profit to be made.

Shame eh...people can walk into an apple store and buy a device, that they intend to keep and enjoy, for retail. What's this world coming to....

2. AmexGG macrumors regular

AmexGG

I made $500 this morning in 1 hour. UPS at 8 and then I had the cash in my bank before 9.

3. Armendegga macrumors 6502

4. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol well congrats. I think you're going to be in the extreme minority.

hey if someone wants to pay you well over retail for something they can waltz into the apple store and grab with very little effort then good on you i guess

5. AmexGG macrumors regular

AmexGG

Thanks. It was my first Apple order and it was really easy. I like how smooth apple transactions are.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There's still a couple hundred bucks to be made, at least. I think $500 will be the minority, but even 1-200 bucks isn't terrible for the next to zero work you need to put in.

7. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

^so supply must be constrained where you live?

8. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

The profit is tax free remember that. The only way the X was going to be a big profit for scalpers was if the supply issues were actually true and most would've had to wait until 2018 for the phone. nothing close to that ended up happening. So the reality is now that the resellers who are selling on launch day will make some money (200-500, especially US sellers as they get the cheapest price worldwide). Those who will get their phones for resale any later will be lucky to get 100-200 above MSRP.

9. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

^well if you can go through the hassle of scoping out international buyers with big pockets then kudos on the profit. At least most people that live in countries where the X is available can get one at retail without too much hassle, in most cases.

10. AmexGG macrumors regular

AmexGG

I was worried there are so many Craigslist ads and so few buyers. I think me being so fast helped me beat out the other resellers. I called my guy while I was in line at UPS and then met him at my bank with 30 minutes. I never even opened the boxes. Had the money counter count the cash for me at my teller and then handed him the bag when it checked out.

11. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

must be a high roller you sold it to

12. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I have two extra phones coming in a couple weeks to sell and I hope to make some profit. If not? Not a big deal because I can return them to the Apple store. Either way I'm covered...

13. bradley8795 macrumors regular

bradley8795

I sold 2 this morning in LA made $500 on each. Basically paid for mine. So I’m happy.

14. AmexGG macrumors regular

AmexGG

He had plenty of options but I think I was the first to call him to set it up. I was surprised he showed up exactly on time and exactly when it was my turn in line at the bank!

15. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well if you guys can pull $500 a pop from some rich person then I can't hate.

Call it wealth redistribution.

16. AmexGG, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

AmexGG macrumors regular

AmexGG

Swappa is swamped with sellers and almost zero buyers. Craigslist is the same and I bet eBay is similar. OP I think you are correct, some resellers with be getting salty soon. Especially after some scam buyers dispute the charges weeks or months down the road.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    I was ready with a case and screen protector to try it out for a few days and then return it if nobody wanted it. I'm a ~$500 cell phone buyer I can't justify a $1000+ cell phone. I'm thinking my next OnePlus might be free in a few weeks thanks to Apple.

17. Jmoc916 macrumors member

If they wait a few days the stock will go down

18. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

I can't imagine how/why someone would want a phone that badly that they are willing to pay a 50% premium for the benefit of a few weeks? Being impatient is not a good trait. I'm just as bothered as anyone about what's going on but good luck trying to squeeze an extra penny out of me to get this thing a few weeks early. And I actually need a new phone, my 6+ shouldn't even be alive right now. Like they say, a fool and his money soon part ways.

19. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Scalp them to the Philippines. They won't get their's for awhile. They are bigger phone and social media addicts than Americans.

Look at the markup prices for Hungarians here.

20. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

i got one coming from apple on the 11=17-11/24 batch, they prolly wont be so hot by then. the launch day one i got today is mine.

21. AmexGG macrumors regular

AmexGG

They aren't very hot right now on launch day. Look at the 100 on swappa now and the tiny handful that have sold. The price is nothing after the shipping and fees.

Attached Files:

22. laptech macrumors 6502

laptech

you forgot to add 'idiot' in your message, especially when you consider the buyer paying an extra $500 for it

Fools with money.

23. SamwellG macrumors member

Naw not really cause I can fa sho just return it and get my $92.50 back. I appreciate your concern

24. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

There is a world outside of the United States...in case you haven't realized it yet... Some countries are not getting the stock that the U.S. is getting and that is where the profits will be made.

25. Zorn macrumors 65816

Zorn

I ordered an extra just to have a backup order in case my first one got delayed, then when it didn't figured I could make some of the cost back for mine by selling the extra. Have had it on eBay for $1399 OBO and not a single bite. Any less than 1300ish is not worth it to me considering the risk and the fees. I will most likely just cancel the store pickup for that extra one.