Any sign of a Mac Pro update?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mrsir2009, Mar 5, 2010.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The Mac Pro has only been updated once since I was old enough to go onto the Apple website on my hand-me-down iBook G3 and see the Mac Pro there =/

Any sign of an update...?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are numerous threads on this forum talking about it. Sometime in the next 10 weeks.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

Nope. There's a little speculation, but no signs. I agree, sometime in the next 10 weeks is likely.

4. telequest macrumors regular

That's pretty much what everyone has been saying for the last 10 weeks or so, especially since the high end iMac was released. The answer is nobody knows and Apple's not telling and we're all stuck holding our collective breath. Those of us who really need a new Mac Pro are running out of patience. The shared wisdom is that as soon as you give up waiting and buy a 2009, the 2010s will then be announced.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Should be soon then, I just bought a 2009.

6. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Whenever they do show up, I hope they don't disappoint like the 09's...:rolleyes:

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If they don't provide a huge jump in performance over the i7 iMac, Apple will find that people are more likely to opt for a free 27" panel with their purchase :rolleyes:

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Here on MR, I'd be astonished if they didn't...

9. antmo macrumors member

x2... In fact, today's day 14 after purchase for me and there's no turning back :)

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'm not disappointed in mine. It exceeds my needs by a much greater margin that my 2006 1,1 did.

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Pretty much, I can accept the higher end models to be more expensive than the iMac but the price/performance ratio better be there for the lower end model otherwise I may go with the i7 iMac.

12. JYork23 macrumors member

I'm headed into the Apple Store on Monday with my credit card and getting an i7 for just that reason. I can't justify getting a Mac Pro these days.

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yeh, price/performance is getting increasingly out of whack. The Mac Pro is more computer than I need, but I'm afraid the iMac isn't enough. Time for Apple to finally bring the mythical mid-tower into the line-up. Otherwise I'm afraid the Xeon architecture is going to price the Mac Pro right out of the market.

14. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I still have a 2006 1,1 Mac Pro, so you can all go straight to heck!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

15. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd be interested to see what the next Mac Pro is like :D i7 for sure!

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

That's how they see the Quad core MP's though. But as you say, the price/performance ratio isn't wonderful, and causes hesitancy/reluctance from potential buyers.

17. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

MacPros will be discontinued in fall 2010. "Apple is a mobile company." ...

18. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

Apple has truckloads of MacPros they can't sell.. (ever check the refurb store lately)...

Basically MacPro pricing is all out of whack. Each model should be reduced by about 30-40% for it to be attractive.

A 27" iMac with IPS screen is the top of the line.. of course minus expandability.

19. akadmon macrumors 68020

Amen. I will only add this: and there will be no update before that! Time will tell that the last update the Mac Pro line got before it disappeared from store shelves was the fix for the infamous audio bug.

20. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

vapourware ... a la.

[​IMG]

21. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

ya man. SJ's quote just about sums it up. Apple probably gets more revenue selling phones in a minute then they do selling Mac"SLOWS" in a month.

//////just sayin

22. MisterK macrumors 6502

Don't know if I should wait

I want a new Mac Pro pretty badly. I'm wondering if I should hold out for an update. I have a 2.33GHz MacBOOK Pro from the end of 2006. It's really feeling sluggish.

Is that because of it being a 3 year laptop with just 3GB of RAM or do Adobe's apps still feel slow across all current Macs?

I've been using newer PCs at work that really feel snappy. I'd hate to spend $5k plus for a desktop to find out my bread and butter work in huge Photoshop files works better on a $1k PC. I love Apple stuff, but this design program is the main tool of my livelihood. My OS preference may not be able to override the fact Adobe's products run faster on PCs. I REALLY don't want to switch to Windows. It's fine... I just really like OS X more.

Reassuring words about how crazy fast this updated i7 or whatever Mac Pro is going to be, please!!!

23. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I feel confident that CS5 is going to introduce major performance improvements to the OSX versions - see the evidence of 64 bit Photoshop. As for reassurances, I use CS4 on my 2008 MP and it screams as is compared to the high end (~$2500) circa 2009 PC I had when I was working at a graphic design firm, so I would anticipate the 2010 MP offering serious improvement on top of that. There is a lot of dour talk out there about this update, but I honestly feel that Apple is going to surprise us with this new model :)

24. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I should point out that perhaps the biggest reason for CS4 showing performance disparities between the platforms is that CS4 on Windows is fully 64 bit, whereas CS4 on Mac is 32 bit. The transition to CS5 will balance this performance equation, giving OSX Adobe apps' performance a massive boost. :D

25. Hmac macrumors 68020

On the positive side of that statement, Windows 7 ain't too bad.