any speculation on if MBP will be updated on wednesday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomtom2234, Oct 16, 2010.

1. tomtom2234 macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a new MBP. I kind of need one immediately for my classes but I was wondering if I should hold out until Wednesday to see if their are going to be a refresh.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have 14 days to return it so go ahead and buy one.

3. tomtom2234 thread starter macrumors member

I was told I would have to pay a restocking fee. Does apple let you exchange it for the newer ones or not charge the restocking fee?

4. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Even IF there were updates, what would the chances be that they would be on store shelves on Wednesday?

5. tomtom2234 thread starter macrumors member

If the wait isnt too long I could hold off for a little bit. My mbp is falling apart though.

6. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Just order it now, and it wont be here before next wednesday, so if they don't announce any updates you will get your laptop you ordered today a few days later, and if they do have an update, once you get your laptop you can return it unopened and then order the new one.

7. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Don't be silly. Macs never fall apart. They're made of unibody aluminum construction which will repel a tank mortar.

Just wait.
    --

8. ohheyitskeil macrumors newbie

I just got my 15" i7 today and am thrilled with it. If you need one now, go for it because I feel that the most Apple will do for the MBP is a slight speed bump on the i7 from 2.66 to 2.8 Ghz. That's not going to be a noticeable difference on a machine that's already screaming fast.

9. robertbrian23 macrumors member

but if the price is slighter higher, around $50 so... others would still buy it. but don't know how much would the diff would be... :D

10. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Just wait until Wednesday, doing anything else is just stupid.

11. Chris.Earl101 macrumors newbie

Chris.Earl101

I'm in a simular situation =/ but i think we should just wait till wednesday all will be reviled and then make a informed choice.

12. robertbrian23 macrumors member

if the price is right, i think i'll buy by the end of the month. ;)

13. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

+1

Go party on monday and tuesday and live a little. Then get back to working on your studies with a brand new spanking fast MBP on wednesday.

14. MacOCD macrumors regular

Patience. Your MacBook Pro may be falling apart, but it isn't apart yet.

15. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

+1

consider also another big thing : probably all macs from 20th october will have ilife 11 inside or you will have the classic up-to-date option for ordering the ilife 11 dvd.... only if you buy a mac on the 20th october or later ;)

16. stphnman20 macrumors regular

I just bought a MBP this past Monday. This coming Wednesday, I'm pretty sure that Apple will introduce a new MBP. But not by much then what I have now. If there is a significant difference then the one I have now (15" i7) then I might return mine. Who knows. What I know is that i'm happy with what I have now.

If you need one now, just get it.

17. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

MBPs (15",17") will be updated to the 2nd generation iCore CPUs (Sandy Bridge).
    Late Jan/early Feb

If you'll wait three months you won't be disappointed

18. tomtom2234 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the help guys. If they do do a refresh when would it become available?

19. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

More importantly quite possible, OSX Lion.

OP do yourself a favor, practice a bit of patience and just wait. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle and time. You will also put yourself in the "I know 100%" position of not being bent over for a restocking fee. Besides, the new models - whatever they end up releasing - won't be available for a couple of weeks at best anyway. They most certainly won't be available on Wednesday.

20. kingsal macrumors member

I was in your shoes a few years ago, only it was around finals time :D I used my college's desktop computers but if that isn't an option for you I would go buy a cheap PC (probably a netbook) from a store that has a generous return policy, like a wholesale club, with the expectation that you'll be returning it within a couple weeks. You can get by on it until Wednesday or whenever the products will become available in stores. Then just return your computer and buy a MacBook Pro. This way, you'll only have to shell your $300-$500 while waiting instead of $1000+ for a MacBook Pro.

Nobody can tell you for sure what will get updated, but I'm expecting the Pros to get refreshed with updated specs, particularly the processor on the 13" MacBook Pro. The worst that can happen is that you get the same MacBook Pro as you can today but with the newer version of iLife '11.

21. macraz macrumors newbie

More than just OSX...

Here's an analysis done by MacVideo.tv

http://www.macvideo.tv/editing/news/index.cfm?newsId=3244436&pagType=allchandate

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If I have money and I don't give a hoot about updates, it makes me stupid? :rolleyes:

23. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

If the MBP is part of the keynote next week then it will be much more then just a speedbump. Steve won't talk about a speedbump.

If the MBP is on stage expect some redesign, better screen and overal changed MBP. Maybe some goodies like USB3, Bluray or IPS screens? Probably not. Maybe a different enclosure made out of some bullet proof material?

24. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I remember reading this kind of advice last year....the new MBP would be out in january...yada...yada...yada...

the new mbp finally arrived in april...

if you need the machine get it now....if not...wait...

25. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I hope they start offering iLife and other software for download... no more DVDs!