Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Errrr... now I am curious. I haven't been in the market for a new laptop so I haven't been paying attention to the laptop rumors other than the Air. My MBP gave out on me, suffering from the same nVidia problem that has plagued so many other early 2008 MBPs. The guy at The Genius Bar just ordered my brand new machine today and I am psyched but will be quickly depressed if their is a major upgrade to the MBP on Wednesday.

FWIW:
Current (soon to be old machine)
-2.4 Intel Core2Duo (Penryn)
-nVidia 8600 GT
-2 GB RAM
-200G 7200 hard drive

Replacement machine (ordered at no charge):
-2.4 GHZ i5
-nvida Geforce 330m
-4 GB RAM
-500G 7200 RPM Hard Drive

kingsal

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
The guy at The Genius Bar just ordered my brand new machine today and I am psyched but will be quickly depressed if their is a major upgrade to the MBP on Wednesday.

Just sell your "old" one and buy a new one. Not that difficult.

tnick777

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
I think it'd be a couple months before the new MBP's (if there are any) hit the shelves.

I'm happy I got mine in March... The way Apple works is they make you feel like the machine you have sucks when it really doesn't.

I'm gonna hold onto this for 3-5 years (good lifespan of a laptop)

Then keep eyes out for keynotes or announcements around then and upgrade after something is announced.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

kingsal said:
The guy at The Genius Bar just ordered my brand new machine today and I am psyched but will be quickly depressed if their is a major upgrade to the MBP on Wednesday.

Just sell your "old" one and buy a new one. Not that difficult.

No, exchanging my old one for a brand new one!

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Do Not Open

IF they upgrade AND you don't open the box, you have a much greater chance of being able to get in on the update. So curb your sticky fingers.

Errrr... now I am curious. I haven't been in the market for a new laptop so I haven't been paying attention to the laptop rumors other than the Air. My MBP gave out on me, suffering from the same nVidia problem that has plagued so many other early 2008 MBPs. The guy at The Genius Bar just ordered my brand new machine today and I am psyched but will be quickly depressed if their is a major upgrade to the MBP on Wednesday.

FWIW:
-nVidia 8600 GT
-2 GB RAM
-200G 7200 hard drive

-2.4 GHZ i5
-nvida Geforce 330m
-4 GB RAM

thebeautyisfake

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Unless USB3 or Blu Ray hits the (supposedly imminent) MBP update this wednesday, I won't be returning the one I just purchased. Incremental updates aren't worth the 1/2 weeks it'll take to get this returned and a new one shipped.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
What's the point of buying it now and not opening it to avoid the restocking fees? Just wait until what is revealed tomorrow. My prediction is that the MBP won't get much love. Furthermore, I wouldn't be concerned if I had one of the 15 or 17-inch models. If, in the outside chance, there is a speed bump of sorts, it won't be worthwhile. So sit back and enjoy those i5s and i7s.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
What would they upgrade to? There are not really any new parts that would make this seem like a reality. Sandy Bridge will probably be the next MBP update.

DanD81

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Errrr... now I am curious. ....
FWIW:
-nVidia 8600 GT
-2 GB RAM
-200G 7200 hard drive

-2.4 GHZ i5
-nvida Geforce 330m
-4 GB RAM

Hmm, same issue here.. my MBP also died on my and on the weekend a replacement machine was ordered for me, Apple Regent Street Store in London.

I will acutally get a highres non-glossy screen. Today a guy from the store called and told me it might take two to three WEEKS to get the machine. I was kind of laughing at him saying that this is quite ridiculous but he insisted that it takes THAT long.. I also asked him about a possible update tomorrow and he said that I won't get an updated version, just the version that has been ordered for me, basically the current base line model with the non-glossy screen....

hmpf, what do to now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.