Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by spencecb, Apr 28, 2009.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'm buying a new iMac this week, probably tonight, the 24" 2.66.

I'm wanting to buy a new game, but can't really see anything I'd be too interested in. I enjoy WarCraft and StarCraft, and am looking forward to the new Star Trek: Online (though I know it is Windows only, so I will be installing XP on my iMac).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to buy with the new computer? I'm not really interested in hopping on the WoW bandwagon at this point. It's been out for too long.

Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Shooter? Unreal Tournament, Half Life 2 (PC), maybe Crysis (PC).

RPG? Oblivion (PC), The Witcher (PC).

MMO? WoW, Eve Online.

Yes, if you've never played WoW your a bit late for the party, but I'm amazed at how many new people I still run into on my server (Dalaran). WoW is the cream of the crop of MMOs. It's the richest, most polished MMO ever created. No, it's not perfect and although it currently appeals to more than 10m people, not everyone likes it. But if you intend on playing a MMO in the future and think you'd like a fantasy setting, you should play it just to establish a base line for future comparisons. I've looked at many MMOs: Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest II, Saga of Ryzom, A Tale in the Desert, Tabula Rasa, and Sword of the New World. None stand up to WoW.

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'd like to consider WoW, but I'm not sure my lifestyle justifies the monthly fee and the time required to play it.

I'd like to get something native OS X. I know I mentioned installing Windows, which I will for the sole purpose of playing games, but I'd like to support Mac gaming as much as possible.

I like first person shooters, as well as any type of (interesting) space themed games. I looked at Star Wars: Empire at War, but it really doesn't look that great.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Does anyone one Dead Space? Like it? I know it's Windows native, but I've read good things, and would like to think about getting it.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

WoW is native Mac! :D My WoW comments only apply if you plan on playing a MMO in the future. MacMMO.com

5. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Yep, I've been a long time Blizzard gamer, so I know WoW is native. I just don't think I have the time to dedicate to it.

Anxiously awaiting SCII, though.

6. Foop macrumors member

I ditched WoW for Guild Wars because of the time requirements of WoW and the lack of a monthly fee for GW. I run it under crossover games, and it runs great on my mid 2007 iMac.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some of the best PC games I've ever played are from Valve, stuff like Portal, the Half Life series, Team Fortress 2, Left4Dead can all be bought from Steam.
    Knytt Stories is quite fun for a while, gets a bit boring though and Cave Story is a great game to play through.

I'm primarily a FPS and 2D (mostly platform) gamer though.

8. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I might have to check this out. I love playing multiplayer games, but as I said before I can't dedicate that much time to a game. Summer is approaching, and there are things I'd rather do besides sitting in front of a computer.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Guild Wars should be great for dedicated group players, in other words you have a group you play with exclusively. I think you could have fun doing that. But in GW, I never liked totally "instanced' questing space.

10. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Mac Native Games I have Played and Recommend:

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (GREAT FPS, GREAT community** Highly Reccomend)
    Call of Duty 4 (eh, but it runs good)
    Red Alert 3 (Great game, runs pretty well even though its a CIDER/WINE port)
    WoW (I don't play often but you gotta have WoW :p )
    War3, SC, Diablo 2 (all run perfect in os x)
    Any Game on www.playgreenhouse.com (run by penny arcade comics, the quintessential gamers)
    *You can also run Guild Wars, Team Fortress 2, CS:S in OS X via Crossover Games pretty well. VMWare Fusion works soso. I hate dualbooting into Windows.

Windows Games I Play Daily And Love:
    Left 4 Dead (Words cant describe..)
    TF2 (yes...)
    CS:S (eh... cool like 5 years ago)
    DOD:S (alright from time to time)
    Guild Wars (used to play)

11. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

+1 for Team Fortress 2. I just started playing it (I know, a little late) and it is awesome. Ill also be getting Left 4 Dead when I get a MBP when Snow Leopard comes out.

12. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

neverwinter nights + both XPs... best RPGs ever!!

nwn2 was very good but not as good as the first :(

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

A few more, Mass Effect, Dead Space, and Mirrors Edge. All PC.

AND "World of Goo." It's available for the Mac. :)