Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Now that they own Beats, and they have an important device that doesn't have a jack for headphones, surely Apple will want to sell BT headphones, and Monday would be the perfect time to announce them.

What is lacking in the current crop of choices that you hope Apple will solve?

I read reviews on Amazon, and they are mixed. And I suspect the sound quality isn't very good for music.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
I am really hoping Apple to finally make a move and improve that aspect with Beats else I will stick with B&W, Sennheiser and other really great brands if they BEAT :D them into it as a great and must-have AW companions.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
How about if the watch box comes with some small Bluetooth headphones
That would be a nice bonus

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
How about if the watch box comes with some small Bluetooth headphones
That would be a nice bonus

I doubt it, but since it have to make/receive phone calls then it wouldn't surprise me if they do include it. I have been looking at Beats PowerBeats2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones, and although they seem a bit pricey I like the look of them. Have anyone tried them?

Still holding till Monday and see if hopefully Apple would announce some cheaper alternative to that.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
What is lacking in the current crop of choices that you hope Apple will solve?
Well for starters, Beats-style over-ears are impractical while out jogging (too big and heavy for most people.) You'd want something more in-ear/earpod-like for exercise use with the Watch.

Obviously there would have to be a big focus on sound quality... :) There could also be a dedicated Siri button or such on a presumed Apple/Beats-branded BT headset, but this is all just speculation of course. There's no guarantee they'll announce anything of the sort, and there's already a lot of BT headsets on the market. Apple doesn't always release their own product just to have a box to put on a shelf; not in the Return of Steve Jobs era Apple anyway. :)

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
http://www.jaybirdsport.com/bluebuds-x-bluetooth-headphones/

I have a pair and they're higly recommended for workouts/active people!

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
in the UK, apple appear to be allowing customers to demo in-ear headphones before purchase. I tried all the bluetooth wireless ones they sell and was shocked at how bad the beats wireless ones were, the treble was so soft it was a joke. In comparison, I thought the solo2 was "ok" and a bit more balanced than other beats headphones.

In the other direction, i was surprised at how good the JayBird BlueBuds X sound, couldn't believe they were wireless. Hopefully bluetooth earphones become more mainstream (availability and price wise) with the advent of the apple watch.

Last edited:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
They don't provide headphones with iPads, so it's possible they won't with the watch. This whole business of requiring an iPhone companion for full functionality makes headphone usage complicated.
f you're exercising, do you need GPS features? If so, then you'll need your iPhone with you anyway, so you might as well connect your headphones to that. Making a call? Siri? You'll need your iPhone for that too.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
They don't provide headphones with iPads, so it's possible they won't with the watch. This whole business of requiring an iPhone companion for full functionality makes headphone usage complicated.
f you're exercising, do you need GPS features? If so, then you'll need your iPhone with you anyway, so you might as well connect your headphones to that. Making a call? Siri? You'll need your iPhone for that too.

Apple's own website says that you can listen to music on Apple Watch without having your iPhone with you, while jogging, in fact - and while it has a speaker that isn't going to be a great experience so it's possible they'll include wireless in-ear earphones like an iPhone or iPod.
It's also possible that they'll expect users to buy their own but if they plan to remove the headphone port on other iOS devices in the future they've got to start shipping wireless earphones at some point.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
http://www.jaybirdsport.com/bluebuds-x-bluetooth-headphones/

I have a pair and they're higly recommended for workouts/active people!

This is what I'll get if Apple doesn't match it for similar price or for less - which I doubt they will.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i can see apple providing Bluetooth headphones when the iphone will inevitably drop its 3.5 mm headphone jack, but not now with the watch. and when it does happen, it's hard for me not to see it as a separate purchase and not a pack-in.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
Is the jogger market big enough for a special earphone BT just for the watch? I am NOT going to use up my watch battery listening to music if my phone is within reach. I even have my phone with me at the gym in case I get an important call (but the real reason is the Kindle app while using the rowing machine or treadmill)

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Is the jogger market big enough for a special earphone BT just for the watch? I am NOT going to use up my watch battery listening to music if my phone is within reach. I even have my phone with me at the gym in case I get an important call (but the real reason is the Kindle app while using the rowing machine or treadmill)

Bluetooth audio really doesn't do any major damage to the battery. On slow incoming phone/notification days, I'll easily listen to music through Bluetooth headphones for 4-6 hours with a 25% drop in battery life.
I have all radios on, GPS and all kinds of apps "running"..iPhone 6.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Bluetooth audio really doesn't do any major damage to the battery. On slow incoming phone/notification days, I'll easily listen to music through Bluetooth headphones for 4-6 hours with a 25% drop in battery life.
I have all radios on, GPS and all kinds of apps "running"..iPhone 6.

I agree that playing Bluetooth audio doesn't seem to have a significant effect on battery life. However, Bluetooth headphones are costly, and using them with your watch does seem like a niche usage, so I think not including them with the watch is the right call.

Mikes1

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2015
UK
From or to?

And why?

You can send music from your iPhone over AirPlay to another device via the Watch..

From the watch, it is a stand alone music player and you could use a Bluetooth speaker so why not an AirPlay speaker?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
From the watch, it is a stand alone music player and you could use a Bluetooth speaker so why not an AirPlay speaker?

I'm having a hard time imagining a situation where you have a non-bluetooth AirPlay speaker but the Watch is the only source of your music.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You could have an AirPort Express connected to a non bluetooth speaker.

Ah. forgot about the Airport Express!

Hmmmm, I don't know. It depends on whether the Watch can transmit data over wifi without bluetooth. Hopefully this is addressed on Monday.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Ah. forgot about the Airport Express!

Hmmmm, I don't know. It depends on whether the Watch can transmit data over wifi without bluetooth. Hopefully this is addressed on Monday.

If not, perhaps a dev will figure it out when native Apps come out. Due to the limitations devs are gonna get creative (within reason of the APIs available and the App Store review team :( )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.