Any thoughts on Apple releasing Bluetooth headphones for Watch/iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 8CoreWhore, Mar 6, 2015.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Now that they own Beats, and they have an important device that doesn't have a jack for headphones, surely Apple will want to sell BT headphones, and Monday would be the perfect time to announce them.

What is lacking in the current crop of choices that you hope Apple will solve?

I read reviews on Amazon, and they are mixed. And I suspect the sound quality isn't very good for music.

2. cleirac macrumors 6502

I am really hoping Apple to finally make a move and improve that aspect with Beats else I will stick with B&W, Sennheiser and other really great brands if they BEAT :D them into it as a great and must-have AW companions.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

How about if the watch box comes with some small Bluetooth headphones
    That would be a nice bonus

4. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I doubt it, but since it have to make/receive phone calls then it wouldn't surprise me if they do include it. I have been looking at Beats PowerBeats2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones, and although they seem a bit pricey I like the look of them. Have anyone tried them?

Still holding till Monday and see if hopefully Apple would announce some cheaper alternative to that.

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Well for starters, Beats-style over-ears are impractical while out jogging (too big and heavy for most people.) You'd want something more in-ear/earpod-like for exercise use with the Watch.

Obviously there would have to be a big focus on sound quality... :) There could also be a dedicated Siri button or such on a presumed Apple/Beats-branded BT headset, but this is all just speculation of course. There's no guarantee they'll announce anything of the sort, and there's already a lot of BT headsets on the market. Apple doesn't always release their own product just to have a box to put on a shelf; not in the Return of Steve Jobs era Apple anyway. :)

6. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

http://www.jaybirdsport.com/bluebuds-x-bluetooth-headphones/

I have a pair and they're higly recommended for workouts/active people!

7. Dwalls90, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

8. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Been tempted but I find these things just to big for my preferences.

9. slenpree, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

in the UK, apple appear to be allowing customers to demo in-ear headphones before purchase. I tried all the bluetooth wireless ones they sell and was shocked at how bad the beats wireless ones were, the treble was so soft it was a joke. In comparison, I thought the solo2 was "ok" and a bit more balanced than other beats headphones.

In the other direction, i was surprised at how good the JayBird BlueBuds X sound, couldn't believe they were wireless. Hopefully bluetooth earphones become more mainstream (availability and price wise) with the advent of the apple watch.

10. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

They don't provide headphones with iPads, so it's possible they won't with the watch. This whole business of requiring an iPhone companion for full functionality makes headphone usage complicated.
    f you're exercising, do you need GPS features? If so, then you'll need your iPhone with you anyway, so you might as well connect your headphones to that. Making a call? Siri? You'll need your iPhone for that too.

11. Joe HS macrumors 6502

Apple's own website says that you can listen to music on Apple Watch without having your iPhone with you, while jogging, in fact - and while it has a speaker that isn't going to be a great experience so it's possible they'll include wireless in-ear earphones like an iPhone or iPod.
    It's also possible that they'll expect users to buy their own but if they plan to remove the headphone port on other iOS devices in the future they've got to start shipping wireless earphones at some point.

12. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

This is what I'll get if Apple doesn't match it for similar price or for less - which I doubt they will.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i can see apple providing Bluetooth headphones when the iphone will inevitably drop its 3.5 mm headphone jack, but not now with the watch. and when it does happen, it's hard for me not to see it as a separate purchase and not a pack-in.

14. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Is the jogger market big enough for a special earphone BT just for the watch? I am NOT going to use up my watch battery listening to music if my phone is within reach. I even have my phone with me at the gym in case I get an important call (but the real reason is the Kindle app while using the rowing machine or treadmill)

15. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Bluetooth audio really doesn't do any major damage to the battery. On slow incoming phone/notification days, I'll easily listen to music through Bluetooth headphones for 4-6 hours with a 25% drop in battery life.
    I have all radios on, GPS and all kinds of apps "running"..iPhone 6.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree that playing Bluetooth audio doesn't seem to have a significant effect on battery life. However, Bluetooth headphones are costly, and using them with your watch does seem like a niche usage, so I think not including them with the watch is the right call.

17. Mikes1 macrumors member

Mikes1

I'm wondering if the watch is AirPlay capable?

18. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

From or to?

And why?

You can send music from your iPhone over AirPlay to another device via the Watch..

19. troop231 macrumors 603

Maybe he wants to watch a movie on his Watch :p

20. Mikes1 macrumors member

Mikes1

From the watch, it is a stand alone music player and you could use a Bluetooth speaker so why not an AirPlay speaker?

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm having a hard time imagining a situation where you have a non-bluetooth AirPlay speaker but the Watch is the only source of your music.

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

You could have an AirPort Express connected to a non bluetooth speaker.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ah. forgot about the Airport Express!

Hmmmm, I don't know. It depends on whether the Watch can transmit data over wifi without bluetooth. Hopefully this is addressed on Monday.

24. troop231 macrumors 603

If not, perhaps a dev will figure it out when native Apps come out. Due to the limitations devs are gonna get creative (within reason of the APIs available and the App Store review team :( )