Any Tips for Getting a Phone on Release Day at the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoney Baloney, Sep 13, 2014.

1. iPhoney Baloney macrumors member

iPhoney Baloney

I plan on getting to the local Apple store between 5 and 6am Friday morning the 19th. This will be my first release day apple store frenzy and I'm not sure what to expect. I usually did the pre-order thing but I don't want to wait till the end of October to get the new 6+ iPhone. What are my chances of getting a phone?

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

If you want to get a Plus, you had better arrive a lot earlier than that. My gut tells me it's going to be similar to the Gold 5S with just the first few people in line getting it.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Better get there a lot sooner than that.

4. apple.snapple macrumors regular

Well, depending on your city, you might ALREADY be out of luck, if you can believe it. NY city have had people in line for a week or more already.

But, if you want to guarantee the size, color, carrier you want, you need to start camping tonight.

5. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I agree with phpmaven, If you want a iPhone+ then you might want to consider going early morning on the 18th. You might be surprised how many people will be there by then. But if you can find out from your store how many phones they will have it might save you all that time in waiting if they won't have many on launch.

6. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Getting there between 5am & 6am,depending on that city/town your in,maybe # 100 in line or considerably higher.

7. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

5-6 is WAY too late if you want to get a 6+. In many cities, there will be many hundreds by then.

8. regazoid macrumors newbie

Why not pay some kid to camp out, save your place and show up at opening time.

9. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

Where are you? If you're in an area that has a lot of apple stores in it (e.g Los Angeles) you might be okay around 5am. If you live in a place that only has one apple store in a 100 mile radius ... Time to bust out the camping gear.

10. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

11. jcr918 macrumors regular

12. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Don't drink a lot of water. You'll lose your place if you get to the rest room

13. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

1. Get there before everyone else
    2. Bring money

14. iPhoney Baloney thread starter macrumors member

iPhoney Baloney

I was there today and there were no lines yet. I was under the impression that the Apple store would have a good supply of phones available on launch day and my chances might be pretty good. I spoke to an employee at the store today and he said there were about 100 people lined up for the 5s launch at opening time.

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Or wear a Depends.

----------

Go on Saturday morning. Get there really early. They'll be getting shipments every day. When the 5 came out, I went to a mall location early (2 hrs before opening) and I was 2nd in line.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

They will have a good supply of the 6, but the 6+ may be a totally different story.

----------

Wow, you must have been in some rough lines. I always get pretty chummy with the people around me. I could go sleep in my car for a while if I wanted to and then come back. Most everyone has been really cool the few times that I've lined up.

----------

5AM :p You must be joking. Down in Orange County in SoCal where I live, you would have 200 people ahead of you. I lined up for the 5S launch at the Spectrum store in Irvine at 1AM and there were 70 people ahead of me. This launch is going to be WAY bigger than that.