Any tips for putting Sports band on?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jannette, Jun 7, 2015.

1. jannette macrumors 6502

i received my Watch on launch day....a 38mm SS with Milanese Loop. I have now bought a sports band which I like very much. But I find it hard to fasten...any advice?

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

It's a pain, every review pointed this out, it's just the design of it, like they designed it for someone to put it on by someone else lol

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

They designed it to be secure. The band tucks in, preventing it getting snagged on something and popping the watch off. Makes perfect sense in my opinion given the type off band it is and how it fastens.

5. swandy macrumors regular

I just hold the shorter side (the one with the pin and slot) with the fingers of my right hand, grab the longer side with my thumb and forefinger, then push the little pin into the hole I use (the 5th one) and then slide in the remainder of the band into the slot. It does get easier - first few days I would rest the Watch on my thigh to make it easier.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Grab the hole side strap between your thumb and index. Hook your ring finger in the tuck in slot and pull it under towards the hole strap.

7. jannette thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

I will give it a shot at explaining what works for me. Assuming you are right-handed: Sit down, put watch in place on your left wrist, hold in place while you turn wrist over and rest watch face on left leg, use right hand middle finger and gently stick fingernail in strap slot on band with the pin and gently push this part of band in place on your wrist under other strap with holes and hold it there with your middle finger still in place, then use other fingers and thumb on your right hand to grab the band with holes and pull it to the hole you want and snap the band in place on the pin. Then put excess strap in strap slot. Hope that makes sense and hope that helps.

9. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

I think I like this method better actually. You don't have to sit down and his explanation is more concise...lol.

10. jannette thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! That is the exact opposite to what I have been doing. I always try to put the pin in first and the watch seems to be off balance on my leg and slips around. Many thanks...much appreciated!

11. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Well good, Im glad my wordiness helped! lol....Enjoy!

12. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

No idea how people struggle with it... its easy O,o

13. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Are you seriously going to be self-righteous about putting on a strap?

14. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

MacRumors will bring out a tutorial on how to put the band on shortly. However, you need to read the How to Unbox tutorial first.

15. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

It's not really designed to go through your trouser belt loopholes.

16. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

When I first switched the Black Classic Buckle for a Sport Band, I had a bit of a hard time too, but the more I've done it, the easier it's been, and it's to the point where I can put it on one-handed now. I put the watch on my wrist, then grab the end with the pin with my middle finger and pull it underneath my wrist, then use my index finger and thumb to pull the other end and get the correct hole in line with the pin, push the hole down on the pin, and then tuck the rest of the band in.

It's hard to put in words, but I just did it a few times while trying to figure out how to best explain it, and was able to do it in a few seconds each time. I think the most difficult part is keeping the case balanced on the wrist, but again, it gets easier over time. :)

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

We can blame Marc Newson, since it's basically a repeat of his sport strap design from the mid 90s:

Ikepod-strap-Comparison.jpg

Reportedly Ive is a fan of Ikepods.

18. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Lol I guess, but its pretty easy, not rocket science. I sometimes wonder how people get through life.

19. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

The hard to put on strap is yet another sign of an unfocused Apple. And I don't want a strap with an end that looks like a penis.

20. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You're not special in knowing how to put it on, sorry to burst your bubble. The issue is that it's not an intuitive band

21. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Never claimed to be special. Its very easy to put on, never had issues, even with first use. Its putting a pin in hole and pushing excess band into a hole, as I said, not rocket science.

22. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I used to have trouble with this before I figured out that the steel pin always goes down, then I haven't really had an issue with it.

23. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I've only done it in the store as my watch won't arrive till Monday or Tuesday.

I pretty much used my middle finger to hold the band in place and tucked it and secured with my index and thumb.

24. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I still haven't worn one but my coworker was saying it's incredibly insecure.
    He showed how he can quickly remove the watch using only one finger and one quick movement in the right spot.
    It literally flew off of his wrist.

25. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Well I find mine to be pretty secure given how it's designed