Any tool to Diag SSD - freezing MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, May 31, 2016.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

For the past 2-3 weeks, MBP has been freezing about 10 times in total. Each time, requiring a hard restart.

Late 2013 MBP - just ran disk utility to check permissions, etc - latest version of El Capitain....

Anyhow, for example, it was running rock solid. Go to a folder, select 5 files to delete and then spinning wheel of death.

More annoying than anything. Is there a utility to show any potential SSD failures...

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Do you recall -which apps- you were running when the freezes occurred?

3. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

I'm starting to run clean to see the cause/effect .When the last freeze occured, aside from some minor start up items. all I had was Safari, Chrome, imessage and Parallels open. However.....it was the not app that trigged it. It was just the mere deletion of 5 files.

On other freeze-up, it was just comes out of the blue. Not on a finder/file command/activity. It's not consistent on what is running/action when it freezes.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did this just come out of the blue with no relationship to any hardware or software changes you made? If so, it sounds like a failing drive or failing drive cable.

Do you have an external USB enclosure you can out the SSD in to try it out that way. If that works well, it would point to the internal drive cable being bad.

I'm assuming here you have a non-Retina MBP model.

5. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

Out of the Blue. Started about 3 Weeks Back. Maybe 4. Very Random when it happens. The only thing I could see is since the initial occurrence, I believe 2 new builds of El Capitain . 1X for sure on the build, as I just installed a El C. update 2 days ago

I can't duplicate the problem and I'm a road warrior, so even running off a external to confirm if the onboard is the root cause is not going to be a easy task to do.

Retina MBP...

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-system-wide-freeze-read-the-details.1963711/

Never mind about the drive cable, since your Retina model does not have one, and it is pretty rare for those drives to fail. You may be caught up in the issue discussed in the above thread that hit some users with the 10.11.4 update.

7. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for the link.

Bummer. I'm on 10.11.6
    Needless to say, working in a ~unstable~ environment is very unproductive to say the least. Hell, I even started using my Dell Precision if I need to work with no crashes...

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Running beta software definitely won't help the situation. I can't say that it caused it, but who knows.
    Has it occurred across different versions? If so, which ones?

I'm going to suggest a reinstallation of OS X as a first measure. Should take you no more than 30 minutes.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Which is why Apple and every sane person recommends NOT running beta software versions in such an environment. Reinstall the public 10.11.5, remove yourself from the beta program and move on...