Any way to archive Mac game DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Feb 15, 2010.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I recently purchased a 27" iMac, but gave little heed to the warnings of the optical drive scratching discs, as I had not noticed that on my iMac at that time. I also recently purchased Star Wars Empire at War, and after several days of playing the game have started noticing several scratches. While I can't attribute them solely to my iMac's optical drive, the DVD was brand new. I really enjoy playing the game and would like to protect my $50 investment (yeah, I know, not a lot, but it is still $50). Remembering the threads in the iMac section, I'm a little bit worried that the scratches may one day render my DVD unplayable (Aspyr requires the DVD be inserted to play the game).

To that end, does anyone know of any way to archive my DVD, such that I can put it away and only use the copy? I would much rather scratch up a copy than the original, then be forced to play another $50 for another genuine disc.

Thanks in advance for all responses

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That pretty much never works for modern games, so I wouldn't waste my time trying.

Without resorting to questionable means, there's not really much you can do with games that require disk-based copy protection. However, publishers will replace damaged disks for a small fee, so you wouldn't be out another $50 even if the disk does get wrecked.

--Eric

4. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha spinnerlys and Eric5H5,

Thanks for your replies - that's pretty much what I thought. I just hope that the scratches don't make the disc unplayable. Of course, if my iPhone apps sell, I won't have to worry much about that :D

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

That replacement fee is a good idea. I used to play AOE 3 until my disc got scratched by my MacBook. Also, it was so noisy and spinning the disc makes the game slower and it draws more power. It's annoying that companies think that making the game more disc-dependent solves any piracy issues. I think it just annoys a lot of people, who, once they figure out how to do it, use hacked games.

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It does help in the first few weeks, which is when most sales occur. However, companies ought to release patches which remove disk-based protection after, say, 6 months or something. A few do this, but not enough.

--Eric

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's your game, you purchased a legal DVD with your money. You are completely within your rights to use any means to create a copy for your own personal use. These means are not 'questionable' at all in this context.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

really? i downloaded co2 and don't need a disk....

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Actually, in the US, just bypassing or breaking the DRM/Copy Protection is still illegal even if you own the original. Now that being said, I don't recall anyone has ever been arrested for backing up their own software. Also, I disagree with this law, I believe you should have the right to back up your investment.

11. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Ethically no, but legally yes. Up to you whether the difference is important or not.

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I'm referring to no-cd/dvd cracks, which are in fact highly questionable for several reasons. My preference is for companies to release their own proper no-cd patches after the game's been on sale for a while, but like I said, not enough of them do this.

If you bought a digital download, then of course you don't need a disk. If you pirated it, well....

--Eric

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

nope bought it - like $30, just wish COD4 would work on my machine

14. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hear you, but I bought the box set at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange. The License Agreement, which probably no one really reads all the way through, states that Aspyr allows the user to load multiple copies of the game, but requires the user to insert the disc to play the game. This agreement is also printed in the book that came in the box.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you want to save wear and tear on most PC game you play, there are No-CD patches available online that allow you play your game and leave the DVD in it's jewel case. I travel a lot and it lets me avoid dragging them along. I'm not sure if they (No-CD patches) are out there for Mac games or not, in fact I'm not sure what kind of protection Asypr and other Mac porters utilize.

Disk copy protection in PC land is such that making a backup copy of a game DVD and expecting it to play is not realistic (without additional steps) as copy protection built into the application, frequently reads a code physically placed on the original disk, that the replacement disk won't have. When trying to launch a game using such a disk, you'll get a message to "insert the (original) disk".