Any way to completely disable RSS in Safari/Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applefan289, Sep 1, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

In Safari preferences if you uncheck Bookmarks menu and Bookmarks bar under RSS preferences, it automatically says to check for updates "never".

In Mail, the only option you have for RSS is to check "manually" - is this the same thing as "never"? I currently have Safari set to "never", but Mail set to "every 30 minutes", but I have not even touched RSS.

Basically, is this a feature I can just ignore or should I turn it off (if there is a way to)?

I still don't fully understand why RSS would be beneficial.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you don't have any RSS feeds in Mail, then it doesn't matter what it's set to. If you're trying to disable RSS, just don't have any feeds added. If you have feeds that you don't want updated, then set it to only update Manually, and it won't check unless you tell it to (not sure why you'd want that, but the option is there). I personally don't use RSS feeds, because I tend to check the websites that I like directly, but the feature is there for those who like to skim the headlines in a simpler format.

jW

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

For Safari it's the same right?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Correct. RSS is a feature you can use, but if you're not using it, it doesn't do anything. You'll always see the little RSS icon in the address bar when on a site that supports it, that's the site's way of offering the option, but if you don't save any RSS feeds, the feature isn't being used.

jW

5. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000