Any way to create an alias without actually adding the word alias to the end?

JoshFink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Title says it all. I need to alias about 500 directories in my Movies folder and I hate that the word 'Alias' appears at the end when i right click and create alias.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Josh

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Title says it all. I need to alias about 500 directories in my Movies folder and I hate that the word 'Alias' appears at the end when i right click and create alias.
you can make an alias for the folder rather than for each of the files. That way you can use just one not 500.

the copy command will make any number of "aliases" all at once. For example
cp -lr mymovies/* .
would make 500 aliases in the curent folder if there were 500 files in "mymovies". It would create a whole set of nested aliasa mirroring the structture od "mymovies".

JoshFink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Atlanta, GA
you can make an alias for the folder rather than for each of the files. That way you can use just one not 500.

would make 500 aliases in the curent folder if there were 500 files in "mymovies". It would create a whole set of nested aliasa mirroring the structture od "mymovies".
Cool.. Thanks again

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
And, as a third (and unnecessary, since those are better) option, you can make all 500 aliases and use automator to remove the word "alias" from the filenames.

JoshFink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Atlanta, GA

cp -lr mymovies/* .
Oddly, this doesn't seem to work from Terminal.

Now I have the requirement for actually doing this from terminal as opposed to through finder.

Any suggestions?

I need to make symbolic links from all directories in

/Users/frontrow/MoviesE

to

/Users/frontrow/All

Thanks

Josh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.