Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I have a fairly low, budget, and quality and speed barely matters as long as it works. I think that the older macs are good deals, but most are surprisingly expensive unless they are from eBay/some site that looks like a scam. It doesn't have to be a laptop, but I would prefer that.

There's this one site I found, I don't know if it's legitimate, but the prices are super low: http://www.megamacs.com/index.php?action=frameview&id=3064156

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
this is not extremely low for a 10 year old device and speed matter? this is going to be the slowest computer u will ever use today if it even still works

do ur self a favor don't buy this thing it is terrible

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
If you need a computer and budget really matters, then a Mac is not for you. I'm sorry it just isn't. Mac's retain their resell value and thus anything from the Intel Mac era is going to still be at least $300 (even the original intel mac mini). I can't recommend anyone spending money on anything but an Intel Mac because there just isn't support and most new software won't be written to run on the GX chips. I know, there are users here who still love them, but you are also talking about buying a machine that is older than 5 years. How much life do they really have left in them before something breaks and then you have to buy again?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd search for an older iBook. You should be able to get one for < $500 in decent condition.

GD0X

Mar 20, 2011
Look on craigslist. The prices are more realistic and you can still talk price down. I saw a 15" PB for $200. Pictured to be working and in decent shape.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
The home page shows images from PayPal, BBB, MC, etc BUT they are images, not links.

They give no address for the company. I wouldn't trust them.

Normally I would agree. No business address combined with a broken link to bbb.org is a very bad sign. However, searching bbb.org, I came up with megawatts computers which is BBB accredited and lists an address for megamacs/megawatts computers in Tulsa, OK. I don't like the look of megamacs.com but I would base it on impression rather than evidence like lack of BBB listing. BTW, BBB listing is something you buy not something you earn.

I have a fairly low, budget, and quality and speed barely matters as long as it works. I think that the older macs are good deals, but most are surprisingly expensive unless they are from eBay/some site that looks like a scam. It doesn't have to be a laptop, but I would prefer that.

There's this one site I found, I don't know if it's legitimate, but the prices are super low: http://www.megamacs.com/index.php?action=frameview&id=3064156

Another alternative for cheap Macs is Microcenter which sells older refurb Macs than are generally found on apple.com. Then there is the option to set an alert for yourself at refurb.me and you can set the machine you want at the price you are willing to spend and you get an email alert when the item shows up on Apple's site. I tried it for a Mac mini under $500 and got an alert a few days later. I was able to go to the refurb store and I could have ordered it if I really needed it. I would be careful about ebay unless you are buying from a seller with VERY high feedback percentage with a favorable return policy. If you use Craigslist, remember to meet in a bank or inside a store. We had a guy killed in the Detroit area a while back when he met somebody on Craigslist who was allegedly selling a used cell phone.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Best Buy and Microcenter sell open box returns at a good discount. If they have any in stock you should be able to find a Mac Mini for $500 or less. They come into stock rarely but you can get a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini refurbished direct from Apple for $469. Check a local Apple Store for open box sales. All of these come with a full warranty.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
buy yourself a nice powerbook or ibook if you want a laptop..late G4 or G5 if you want a desktop..

Intel macs are great but PowerPC macs aren't bad..

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
As many users have said Mac are generally the Rolls Royce of computers and hold their value very well. Even a MacBook that is several years old will cost a few hundred dollars. Even a iBook will still cost a few hundred dollars, if your looking for something cheap than you are better off looking at a PC such as a nice used HP if you can find one or another strong reputable machine. But sadly Macs are generally not found for cheap my friend I am sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.