Any way to fix loose AlBook 15" DC jack?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hellothere231, Jul 31, 2016.

1. hellothere231 macrumors regular

This issue's really been bugging me for the past few days; always annoying to find out that my charger slid a tiny bit out as it was charging overnight, so I wake up to a dead Powerbook. I've looked online for a replacement jack/board, but they are rather expensive (the shipping makes it much much worse), so I don't know if it would be worth it to do that. Is there anything I could do without any extra parts to fix it?

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

What PBG4 do you have? I know the prices vary for DCIN boards, but I lucked out on mine (for a DLSD) and got it for $9. I had to do some digging to find mine, but I eventually did. If you don't want to buy a new board, you could try re-soldering the jack to the board, however if you have minimal experience with soldering, it is best to buy a new board

3. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

I've got the Powerbook G4 1.5ghz model from 2004, model A1095. All the boards I've found were around 10-20 dollars, but for some reason, most of the shipping costs to Canada are crazy (30-50 dollars for a circuit board??)

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

"International" shipping kills.... Probably best just to buy a parts machine and take the DCIN board

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

How the HECK did you get a 15" DLSD board for that price?!?!

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I honestly have no idea how I did it! @eyoungren found a listing on eBay in my thread about my DLSD last year (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-few-issues-with-a-pbg4.1878753/) for pretty cheap, someone got that one before I did, so I snatched up a really cheap one for only $9. There were a few on eBay for <$15 at this time last year, but I bought the cheapest one. At the time, the seller "tonymaczz" had one up for $80, and that was the only one on eBay.