Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Paul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
With the recent announcement about AT&T pulling their unlimited plan in favor of a 2 GB plan, it got me wondering how much data I am going through on my iPad. I have a 3G model but as yet have not activated 3G due to the fact I am using it mostly at home where I have a WiFi network already.

Is there any ability where I can monitor how much data throughput I use over the course of a day (or week or whatever) on WiFi? Or is that kind of monitoring only possible when actually using the 3G service?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I tried to do that to see how much data i had used since 4/30 to see if the new change would affect me, but it only measures 3G data. Maybe something on your router could measure it. I know that you can "look" at each device connected through wifi, I'm just not sure whether there is a data counter assigned to each device. i wouldn't be surprised, though.

John Paul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
I tried to do that to see how much data i had used since 4/30 to see if the new change would affect me, but it only measures 3G data. Maybe something on your router could measure it. I know that you can "look" at each device connected through wifi, I'm just not sure whether there is a data counter assigned to each device. i wouldn't be surprised, though.

Well in my case "home" is basically a university residence hall so I don't have access to the router. :( Was hoping there was just something I missed in the settings but apparently not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.