Any way to quick trigger passbook? Not apple pay.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 27, 2015.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Is there any way to quickly trigger passbook (Starbucks cards, movie passes)?

I know double clicking the side button gets Apple pay, but it only brings up credit cards, not Starbucks cards or movie passes

They also don't allow us to put passbook into glances. So the only way I see to get it is to open the app itself.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Don't know about others but this is easy to do with Starbucks. You configure the Starbucks cards added to Passbook to show on lock screen (based on time or location) and set your favorite store(s). It'll pop up on your Watch when you're at your favorite stores and clicking on it goes right to Passbook.

Starbucks app > Stores. Tap on your favorite store and you'll see a star for adding as Passbook Favorite ("Favorite this store, and your Starbucks Card will appear on your lock screen when you arrive."). You should also have Show on Lock Screen and Automatic Updates set to on, but do not need to allow location access for the Starbucks app (showing on lock screen based on location is determined by Passbook app, so you do need location services turned on for Passbook).

3. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We just wait until Wallet is available with the official release of iOS 9.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's on the iPhone's side, but what about the Watch's side? How will Wallet be incorporated in the Watch?

6. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

I've also had the same desire, a shortcut straight to Passbook. Seems like it would make Passbook more widely used. Maybe tap-hold, alongside Apple Pay's tap-tap?

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have faith.

8. zetaplus93 macrumors regular

Why not use the double-tap-side-button shortcut for both Apple Pay and Passbook/Wallet? When you double-tap, it goes to your default Apple Pay card. Then just scroll up/down to get to other cards in Wallet.

I suppose this could be confusing since you'd either wirelessly pay (with Apple Pay) or hold it up for scanning (with cards like Stabucks). But it'd be so convenient. I use both Apple Pay and Passbook about the same # of times.

9. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

I'd venture a guess that they want to limit the double-side-tap to Apple Pay only, because that's seen as a "dangerous" feature - you can spend money with it. Keep it separate and simple, so activating the option is as deliberate as possible. Then again, maybe they will incorporate it, in just the way you suggest, when Passbook becomes Wallet.

10. zetaplus93 macrumors regular

Good point. But then again, you can spend money (virtually) with Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts cards too, for example.

But I can see Apple wanting to reserve the shortcut for Apple Pay (which is quite different from Passbook/Wallet in use, technology, brand) to reduce confusion.

But one can hope...

11. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Are there people actually willing to stand in a busy Starbucks and do this?

12. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

The trick is to make it seem like an extended cough.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep. You don't have to say it loudly. You can actually just barely murmur it, and it will pick up.

14. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

Don't know, just replying to the OP's question.
    You could say it before you go in Starbucks, anyway, if it's that busy, no one is going to notice you saying 4 words to your watch.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why do it the hard way if you can take advantage of the shortcut in post #2?

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I personally don't think "Hey siri" is hard, but I'm not opposed to the shortcut either.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I just touch my credit card to the terminal and go! No cough required!

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I personally think hearing several people standing in a line dictate "Hey Siri" is an annoying scenario, but perhaps Apple will figure out a better shortcut (like swiping down after double clicking the side button to reveal the Passbook cards).

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You probably won't even hear it. Who can hear anything in Starbucks anyway?

But as I said, I don't care what method people use. Whatever makes them happy.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We'd all do that if we didn't care about earning rewards with our Starbucks cards or need to access Passbook.

21. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

It's nice to have different options.
    I had the nearest Starbucks alert set up on my watch/phone but found it annoying when I was working across the street from a Starbucks but not actually going in to buy coffee, it would continuously tell me I was near a Starbucks.

22. Bromeo macrumors regular

"Hey Siri, show me my Starbucks card"

Surprisingly it understands that to open Passbook, but didn't go all the way to showing the barcode.

Another way I do it is open the card and barcode showing before I walk into the store. A simple double click of the crown from the watch face pops the Passbook app back to the front, barcode already showing. Almost as convenient as Apple Pay at that point.

23. danbalsh macrumors regular

They just need to allow you to set certain cards as a Glace, so you could have a Starbucks Glance, and a Rewards Card Glace etc...

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We can already get a Starbucks glance, but it doesn't really help in accessing Passbook.

I suppose you actually mean each Passbook card as a glance? Not a bad idea, although I think a faster shortcut is double click the side button to bring up Apple Pay, then swipe up to reveal the Passbook cards.

25. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

That's what I would like. I am not sure why Apple decided to exclude the rest of passbook from the double click trigger.