• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hi all,

There are times that I would love to be able to use a mouse with the iPad. Just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to do it yet.

Thanks.

PS -- Yeah, I know that the iPad wasn't designed to be used with a mouse, but I'd still like the option if at all possible.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Hi all,

There are times that I would love to be able to use a mouse with the iPad. Just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to do it yet.

Thanks.

PS -- Yeah, I know that the iPad wasn't designed to be used with a mouse, but I'd still like the option if at all possible.

Sounds like you want a Surface... Good luck with that.

Comment

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Have you considered using a stylus with an iPad? I suspect that would be more practical.

Comment

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Have you considered using a stylus with an iPad? I suspect that would be more practical.

I think the OP means that the iPad would be just used as a screen, standing upright on a tabletop while he uses a keyboard & mouse. Ive also wondered about this. It would get us closer to replacing the laptop completely. Or, almost completely.

Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
I think the OP means that the iPad would be just used as a screen, standing upright on a tabletop while he uses a keyboard & mouse.

But...using the mouse to do what? iPad has a touch-based user interface. It simply cannot be controlled with a mouse.

Comment

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
With no cursor how would you know where you are at on the screen?

You don't need a cursor with a touch device as your finger tip selects where you want to go. A mouse needs some kind of visual pointer, cursor to identify the position.

Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
With no cursor how would you know where you are at on the screen?

You don't need a cursor with a touch device as your finger tip selects where you want to go. A mouse needs some kind of visual pointer, cursor to identify the position.

Exactly. The OP hasn't thought this through very well.

Comment

darngooddesign

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My mistake. I though we were talking about iPads in this thread.

We are, you implied the OP hadn't thought through his question because how would the iPad's touch UI show a cursor. I replied that just like any other touch UI that supports a mouse, once the mouse is connected the cursor is displayed, and when the mouse is disconnected the cursor is hidden.

That's how it would work on the iPad as well.

Comment

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to do it yet.

No one is going to "figure it out". There is zero mouse support in iOS. And there probably never will be. Even if you were somehow able to pair a mouse with it, a cursor will not magically appear.

If you jailbreak, that is different story. Almost anything is possible then. I have never heard of such a thing though.

Comment

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
But...using the mouse to do what? iPad has a touch-based user interface. It simply cannot be controlled with a mouse.

Exactly. The OP hasn't thought this through very well.

My mistake. I though we were talking about iPads in this thread.

Looks like you aren't reading through this very well. It SIMPLY can be done on an IPAD.

----------

No one is going to "figure it out". There is zero mouse support in iOS. And there probably never will be. Even if you were somehow able to pair a mouse with it, a cursor will not magically appear.

If you jailbreak, that is different story. Almost anything is possible then. I have never heard of such a thing though.

Here you go: http://www.gizmag.com/jailbreak-tweak-allows-mouse-ipad/24468/

----------

Look, a cursor!

btc-mouse-trackpad-ios.jpg

Comment

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Not a bad question at all. If someone wanted to do more "detailed" or precise editing of pics, slideshow, etc., a mouse would be welcome vs a finger. Surprised this is not an option as it does not seem like it would be that difficult.

As to the "no cursor" comment - come on folks. If there was a way to use a mouse, the software could create a cursor. Those comments are so off the wall.

Comment

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
From the link above....

Why?

In the world of multitouch, why would anyone want to use a mouse? When combined with a keyboard, it can transform your device. When using a keyboard dock, you would normally have to reach up to your docked device's display to navigate. This quickly diminishes that faux laptop effect. The addition of mouse support lets you use the iPad more like you would use a desktop PC.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.