Any weight difference after switch to SSD on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MmmPancakes, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Hi guys,

I have an early-2011 13" MacBook Pro. I'm considering replacing the HDD with an SSD. In addition to the speed, can anyone attest whether this switch will make a noticeable difference in the machine's weight? It would be nice if it were a bit lighter than it is.

Thanks in advance.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

No personal experience, but I strongly doubt it. Not any noticable amount, that is.

Why do you ask? It's one of the lightest 13 inchers out there, not trying to be a jerk or anything like that, but maybe you need to hit the gym? Perhaps switching it out for a MBA?

3. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I have a back injury, so every ounce in my messenger back makes a noticeable difference in my recovery. Ultimately, the MBA would be easier for me.

I love the weight of the MBA, but I like the storage space of my Pro.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

One would have to weight the options(no pun intended).

Perhaps a MBA + external HD is lighter than the MBP? Surely you don't need all your stuff all the time?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I replaced the stock 320GB HDD in my 2011 13" MBP with a 120GB Samsung 4700 SSD and during the install held them both in my hand and I honestly could not tell the difference in weight. I don't think you are going to see a difference that you will notice.

6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

you'd die if you had to lug around my 2006 17' MBP .. that things a beast!

7. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

Intel SSD - 77g or 2 3/4oz
    WD 500GB - 97g or 3 3/8oz
    Apple 320GB - 95g or 3 3/8oz

8. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

This is what I'm thinking. I really don't need thousands of songs and videos everywhere I go. Plus, most of my music is on my iPhone.

I just need a machine that connects online and runs all the usual software. Maybe I should sell the MBP and go for the Air and a mobile external drive.

9. ttate90303 macrumors regular

I highly recommend it. Much easier to lug around. And you could really just use a Flash drive if you wanted to save more weight. But the HDD is good for backup purposes.

10. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

We're talking grams here though, not really even ounces. You can probably save more weight by removing the keys on a keyboard that you don't frequently use: right side cmd/alt, caps lock, maybe tilda, etc.

Obviously don't do that.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is a marginal weight decrease with an SSD. You won't feel it, but using a weighing balance reveals the change.

12. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

There are simple ways for compensating for the lack of storage space on a MBA.

While USB 2.0 isn't the fastest of standards it should get the job done in transferring data to and from an external hard drive.

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Maybe a MacBook Air(The 13" would be ideal because it has the SD reader); then get a 32GB+ SD card, or if you want/need more storage, a Seagate GoFlex Slim(it's 320GB, and I'm pretty sure it's the lightest external HD, not to mention it's a 7200RPM). If you're getting the GoFlex, then it's up to you if you want the 11" or 13".

14. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

I wonder if a backpack instead of a messenger bag might be easier on your injured back...I have a backpack made for laptop toting and it's very nice.

15. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If you're worried about the differences between a HDD and an SSD, then definitely go for the Air. It's a much bigger difference.

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Definitely. Any back can probably handle 3 times the weight in a backpack that it can handle in a messenger bag. There is a reason you don't take a messenger bag for hiking up a mountain side.

17. Fugue macrumors 6502

It depends on the SSD. Some weigh more, some less. I will tell you this much however. The SSD I use (Kingston V+100) is almost double the weight of the HDD, and I can't tell the difference in my 13".

18. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

Fugue, what do Kingston make their drive cases out of, DU?