Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Seeing as how this wasn't a huge hit like Apple wanted, (even though the smaller iPP was a little more successful) both still don't seem to have gotten close to the praise the Air 2 received. That got me thinking, will Apple even bother upgrading the 12.9" (I personally love it, but I wonder if Apple may not because of the lack of popularity.)
Will Apple discontinue the iPP, wait for 2017 to upgrade, or will it get the usual annual upgrade all iOS devices get each year?
Of course only Apple knows for sure, but what is everyone else's guess/thoughts?
Cheers,

K.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's hard to say since Apple changed its upgrade cycle when it waited a year and a half to update the iPad Air 2. We are used to yearly upgrade cycles, but over the years I've noticed that previously hot product categories got far less frequent updates when sales declined--as they have for the iPad.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Seeing as how this wasn't a huge hit like Apple wanted, (even though the smaller iPP was a little more successful) both still don't seem to have gotten close to the praise the Air 2 received. That got me thinking, will Apple even bother upgrading the 12.9" (I personally love it, but I wonder if Apple may not because of the lack of popularity.)
Will Apple discontinue the iPP, wait for 2017 to upgrade, or will it get the usual annual upgrade all iOS devices get each year?
Of course only Apple knows for sure, but what is everyone else's guess/thoughts?
Cheers,

K.
It's not a phone Phones are on 1 year upgrade cycle iPads which people buy less frequently are on 2 year upgrade cycle. They release a new iPad Pro 12.9 in November of 2016 it's gonna enrage a lot of people.

What can it have Better Camera and True Tone. ?

Not worth it.

People who bought an iPad Air 2 when it came out made the best investment ever that will keep going for 2 more years easy.

I sold mine Air 2 for $350 because I knew the 9.7 Pro would be amazing and it is.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I personally wouldn't be surprised if Apple stuck with a semi-annually or year and a half upgrade cycle. I believe the YoY decline in sales has lead them to see and believe that a typical customer (not all) buys tablets with more of a computer mindframe than a phone. Most replace their computers after a few years minimum. The pure size alone makes the iPad Pro 12.9 fresh in some people's minds like mine. I came from an Air 2. Everything I do on here minus drawing I could do on my Air 2...I just enjoy it a little more on the bigger screen. I also enjoy buying and trying the latest technology. So I'm not exactly the norm. Lol

BitSlap

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
It is? Do you have a source / news link? Genuinely curious here.

I think the fact that the 12.0s seem to be permanently on sale now indicate the horrible sales for them. It is a very niche product and it doesn't take a rocket scientist or business analyst to know it won't do as well as the 9.7.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Apple seems to pick and choose what functionality and cosmetics they want to push.
One thing they have really missed is using the iPad as an external monitor for the Mac.
Ok the MacBook monitor is small but pair it a 12.9 ipp and the versatility is increased.

The three Apple stores I have been in show how much nicer the 9.7 is.
The 12.9 seems to have a bluish tint.

I suspect Apple will make 2017 the year of the A10x and upgrade both.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the upgrades to both ipps take place after the back to school 2017. The longer cycle will certainly draw more attention which Apple will capitalize on.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an update this fall for the Pro. It was originally slated for release in March of last year, according to a source that as posted here a few weeks back. Because of that, it could be further along in its upgrade cycle than it would normally be.

Some of its features, like the lack of two-tone display and the older LTE plastic on the back suggest to me that it's using tech that they could upgrade now. But there do seem to be reasons for Apple to hold off on paying to mass produce them, such as if their sales are lackluster.

With hope, iOS10 will bring lots more reasons to get the 12.9" Pro!

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I think the fact that the 12.0s seem to be permanently on sale now indicate the horrible sales for them. It is a very niche product and it doesn't take a rocket scientist or business analyst to know it won't do as well as the 9.7.

This is not a very objective measure :confused:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Cheers,

K.
A couple thoughts....

Do we know what Apple's sales projections/expectations were for the 12.9 iPad Pro? An argument could be made that it exceeded expectations based on the lack of availability of the Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil (though that could simply be manufacturing issues or improper forecasting of peripherals).

I have read nothing but glowing reviews of the 12.9 iPP as an iPad. The only critical comments I've read were basically of the "the iPP can't actually replace a notebook" variety.

No, Apple will not discontinue the 12.9 iPP. I do not believe there will be a "significant" upgrade to it this year. I don't think that there needs to be.

If anything, I believe this year (next at the latest) we'll start to see the 12.9 Pro really shine (more than it does now).

No it's not. It is an overly simplistic look at the situation. We're seeing regular discount on Apple products across the board. Macbook Airs are regularly on sale and they are still some of the best selling notebooks. What is more likely is that Apple is embracing a more traditional pricing model where regular discounts entice buyers to think they're getting a "bargain"... which technically they are compared to the regular price.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an update this fall for the Pro. It was originally slated for release in March of last year, according to a source that as posted here a few weeks back. Because of that, it could be further along in its upgrade cycle than it would normally be.

Some of its features, like the lack of two-tone display and the older LTE plastic on the back suggest to me that it's using tech that they could upgrade now. But there do seem to be reasons for Apple to hold off on paying to mass produce them, such as if their sales are lackluster.

With hope, iOS10 will bring lots more reasons to get the 12.9" Pro!
True, but when it was originally planned for March 2015 it was going to be released with the A8X. When it's release got pushed back they rushed to complete the A9X on time for a fall 2015 release since they didn't want to release a new iPad size category with a year old SOC. Based on that I suspect we won't see a new iPad Pro (either size) until spring 2017.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

The only reason why it's a niche product is because they are making it that way.

I attended 2 workshops recently.
People attending were amazed at the 12.9 not because apple did anything to sell their product but because someone asked a question to the person that had it on the table.

Tell people why the need it and not because it weighs x.xx or is 5.128193 faster than a 3 year old chip.

Sell people on what the pen brings to the table.
Watching sports and checking email or looking at a web page
preparing a recipe and looking up something on the web.
Sell the fact you don't have hit the home button to open a new task.
Demo a numbers and page files at the same time
There are so many things they could show people.

They should have workshops with hand on adhoc demos.

They can sell their products through more hands on education.
I surely didn't realize I would get so much more out of the 12.9 than the 9.7 until I had one in my hands and visiting various forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nothing is concrete, I should have added that. But I've seen the 9.7" being the more favored iPP, reviews are nicer and better for it, (written and video) and I see people buying the 9.7" Pro over the 12.9" (see that at local best buy and Apple stores.) the biggest thing though is the hundreds of threads and topics (on this site itself) about people selling or returning their large pro for the 9.7."
Yes, that isn't super solid evidence of the lack of success of the large iPad Pro but certainly shows it is not AS FAVORABLE compared to the smaller version.

Anyway, I hope Apple updates the Pros next fall but instead of JUST adding True-Tone, Camera, and better LTE, that they also include a few more surprises. Do a price drop along with it too. At this point I feel in order for Apple to get more iPad sales they need to rock the boat a bit and not just do small bumps in speed and screen brightness. They need to pull an iPod touch 5, iPhone 6+ and also what the first iPad was in 2010; something that really gets people excited or curious. I'm sure Apple has stuff up their sleeves to do this but they wait year after year to milk the product as much as they can first.

*NOTE: of course all of my post is an opinion, one that could be 110% wrong, somewhat right, or whatever. No offense, rudeness, or arrogance intended.

Kal.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
the biggest thing though is the hundreds of threads and topics (on this site itself) about people selling or returning their large pro for the 9.7."

And you somehow missed the numerous posts from people saying they are keeping their 12.9 over the 9.7. :roll eyes:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I don't see a new 12.9 Pro being released until spring 2017. A new pro will not change the sales of the device much since the 12.9 Pro has more than enough power as of now and iOS is barely utilizing it's true potential. Why does anyone need a new pro this year, our phones have amazing cameras so it's not for a new camera and the screen is still amazing even without the true tone. I have no complaints except for wanting software updates to support trackpad/mouse use and a file manager.

Reasons a refresh is unnecessary this upcoming fall: device has 4 gb ram, device has USB 3.0, the device resolution is high enough without an overwhelming ppi, the processors potential and graphics potential is barely being used....barely any changes are needed.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I don't think Apple will update the Pro with the iOS 10 timeline.
Right now my guess is that iOS 10 will focus on Swift Frameworks and something new with iCloud.
Like executing Code in the Cloud to have something like a Web Service for Apps.

If Apple reworks the springboard and multitasking, then an updated pro might be great.

Apple is so busy with watchOS and tvOS that the really great iOS improvements will come later.
You have to consider that iOS affects most devices, there has to be some caution there.

For me personally, and please don't critique just that point, the camera and True Tone is not a selling point at all.
The large screen is, even without the pencil.

Reactions: jamesrick80

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think they are exhibiting a classic case of confirmation bias ;)

In the year after the iPad Mini was released, many of us made the same observations; that the Mini was going to be a niche product and wasn't selling nearly as well as the 'regular' sized iPad. We had all sorts of people arguing to the contrary. Boy were they surprised when the first sales numbers were released and it showed just how small a niche the Mini occupied. My impression is that the larger Pro fits the same basic trajectory. Lots of interest at the beginning because 'ooh, something new' that in retrospect will be clearly just another niche in the larger iPad market that helps to prop up overall sales volume.

To date, I have seen exactly one 12.9" iPad Pro in the wild, and that's living in a college town where it seems like everyone is using an iPhone, Mac and/or an iPad.

Reactions: gtjeta

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Boy were they surprised when the first sales numbers were released and it showed just how small a niche the Mini occupied.

What sales numbers are you referring to? I thought Apple didn't provide a breakdown of which models sold how many.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don't think Apple will update the Pro with the iOS 10 timeline.
Right now my guess is that iOS 10 will focus on Swift Frameworks and something new with iCloud.
Like executing Code in the Cloud to have something like a Web Service for Apps.

If Apple reworks the springboard and multitasking, then an updated pro might be great.
I agree that we'll see some improvements and enhancements to iOS that will take greater advantage of the 12.9 Pro hardware. Reworking Springboard and multitasking will not require an update to the hardware.

Apple is so busy with watchOS and tvOS that the really great iOS improvements will come later.
You have to consider that iOS affects most devices, there has to be some caution there.
I doubt that watchOS and tvOS are closely connected to each other or to iOS. There are probably common/shared subsystems across the platforms but I would be surprised to learn that iOS development is being restricted because of dependencies in the other OSes.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I doubt that watchOS and tvOS are closely connected to each other or to iOS.
Look at the debug output when you develop. There are iOS entries all over the place that have nothing to do with being a TV. My guess is that tvOS is 75% iOS with 25% simply stripped away.
watchOS has little to do with iOS, but they have to go in tandem to be useful.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Cheers,

K.

They haven't got the praise the Air 2 got? Where? On here? Because I think you need to read reviews mate as they cannot praise the new 9.7" iPad Pro enough! Many claim it's THE BEST TABLET ON SALE NOW!
Ignore what people on this forum say as it is a tiny tiny microscopic number compared to the customer base who will buy and love the iPad Pro.
So no Apple are not going to discontinue the new iPad Pro range, they will update it I assume next year at some point.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
And you somehow missed the numerous posts from people saying they are keeping their 12.9 over the 9.7. :roll eyes:
I suggest you leave the attitude at the door dude, (I wasn't rude, so I see no reason to be rude to me.) And I didn't miss those threads, but there are more threads in favor of the 9.7" than the 12.9" (yes I've been watching and noticed this is the case.) It's not a bad thing people like the 9.7" ... I'm only asking what people's guesses are for a refresh.

I think they are exhibiting a classic case of confirmation bias ;)
I don't have any bias against the Pro 9.7"... where did you even get that idea? The point of this thread is to see if people think Apple will update the 12.9" or not. I mentioned the 9.7" as a reference/gauge for the popularity compared to the 12.9." I actually want to get the 9.7" as it would be a great tablet to take to classes. I only use my 12.9" at home.

Just asking, but why even worry if the 12.9" will be upgraded this Fall or if the 9.7" is outselling it? Enjoy it. As folks always say here, there will always be new models (whether or not they worth upgrading to is the individual's choice.)
Not worried at all, (it'd be silly to be worried about something like that IMO,) I'm actually just curious. :)

Kal.
[doublepost=1461850494][/doublepost]
They haven't got the praise the Air 2 got? Where? On here? Because I think you need to read reviews mate as they cannot praise the new 9.7" iPad Pro enough! Many claim it's THE BEST TABLET ON SALE NOW!
Ignore what people on this forum say as it is a tiny tiny microscopic number compared to the customer base who will buy and love the iPad Pro.
So no Apple are not going to discontinue the new iPad Pro range, they will update it I assume next year at some point.
I personally remember the reviews for the Air 2 being even more positive and numerous than the Pro, and many touting it as "the iPad we should have gotten in 2013" or something along the lines of "it's the best tablet Apple has ever made and would be very hard to improve upon." (Of course this is said about almost all Apple products, but the Air 2 just seemed like perfection to many of the reviewers.)
Some have actually said the Air 2 is so good it may become the new iPad 2, and last forever.
I suppose I could have said in the original post that these are my observations and opinions, but seeing as how I didn't post concrete data or evidence about anything... I actually didn't need to warn people that I'm adding my opinion to the topic.

*Note I am 100%% serious and am not attempting to be condescending*
My honest apologies to everyone for not stating that my posts were just my views and observations. And also I am sorry if any offense was taken, or if this thread appeared as flame bait. That was not my intention.
I do not have the actual sales numbers data or customer satisfaction records. I merely was curious if anyone was curious like I was about Apple maybe not updating the Pro as (I believed) it wasn't the most popular.

Kal.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I suggest you leave the attitude at the door dude, (I wasn't rude, so I see no reason to be rude to me.) And I didn't miss those threads, but there are more threads in favor of the 9.7" than the 12.9" (yes I've been watching and noticed this is the case.) It's not a bad thing people like the 9.7" ... I'm only asking what people's guesses are for a refresh.

Sorry if you felt like I was being rude, but exaggerations like "hundreds of threads and topics" deserve an eye roll. Unless you meant posts instead of threads... But I still don't think there are hundreds of posts about this topic from either side.

In any case, I agree that the 9.7 does seem to be a bit more popular, but the 12.9 also has a solid following. I just don't see any grounds for worrying that Apple would abandon the 12.9.

I don't have any bias against the Pro 9.7"... where did you even get that idea?

He was suggesting you had a bias for the 9.7, and against the 12.9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.