Anybody Applying to College?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by noodle654, Sep 15, 2009.

1. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Senior year this year, and I think just about everybody knows what that means...college apps. I just started filling out my common app, just want to know where some of you guys are applying.

My list:

-University of Vermont
    -Fairfield
    -Babson
    -Bentley
    -SUNY Geneseo
    -SUNY Binghamton
    -Bryant
    -Skidmore

I have a couple others, but I am still looking around.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well this is my senior year fourth year of college, and I'm a little behind in the number of credits I've acquired (I'm a sophomore, technically :(). But I've gotten to the point that I've realized this isn't the college for me... and so next year, where will I go? Lots to think about, and so little time.

Time goes by much faster once college starts. You get old way too quickly.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

make sure you visit each of the colleges before you accept. Talk to kids in your department also.

4. buffalo macrumors 65816

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in my 40s and I think my college days are well behind me. The next time I think about college will be when my daughters reach that age.

6. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Yea I'm a senior too. Pretty stressful time but it's all good. Just gotta get those college essays done! I can't wait for college though, ahhh!!!

My "for sure" list:

USC- DREAM school
    UCSB
    KU
    Iowa St.
    BU
    BC

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

My advice to everyone who is going to college

1) Do not be undeclared esp at a 4 year university

2) Stay in state unless you have a killer scholarship somewhere. Loans arnt fun and yes, you do have to repay them. Why go to another "state" school that is out of state for you?

3) Don't think an undergrad at an ivy league is special.....get your undergrad at an instate school and then go for grad school at an ivy league if you can

4)if you dont know what you are doing, consider a community college to get the core classes out of the way......why pay a hefty sum for a 4 year school when cc classes can transfer over for much cheaper

This is my advice to students and parents based on my experiences

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

For me, the closest Embry Riddle campus was in FL. :p

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ha really?! I had a niiiiice scholarship to the prescott campus but decided to stay in CO lol

cool school though

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

Collage for me was a __long__ time ago but I did the same thing got into a school that was not a good fit. It's hard to know where to go and you don't know if it is a good fit until you get there. I thought I wanted to go to UCLA. I had decided that by the 8th grade I was there at UCLA for a year and then I transferred out to Loyola Marymont University (Also in Los Angeles.) Such a difference. For example at UCLA the math classes were 200 students in an auditorium. On the first day in a math class at LMU the teacher looked around and asked "Is John taking this class or is he just late?"

I'd recommend a smaller school if you can swing it and if it is known to be good in the subject you will study.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm applying to graduate school right now. Does that count?

University of Vermont
    SUNY Binghamton
    SFSU
    University of Washington

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Just finished an MFA at Louisiana Tech University.

Honestly, I don't feel the name of the school is all that important. It's more about simply having the degree, who you are able to network with in school and OUTSIDE of it, and quite simply, how good are you in your field. A stellar portfolio from a small school trumps an average portfolio from a prestigious school any day.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Why? It's fine to be undeclared when getting through GE classes.

Sometimes the experience of going where you want to go is worth it. I agree with your last sentence here, though. If you're going to spend the money to go somewhere, I wouldn't go to another state school! Although this argument, too, has its holes...

The key words there are "if you can". Going to an Ivy League school as an undergrad helps with a lot of things. I'd much rather go to Harvard than to my local state school, especially considering Ivy League schools are need-blind for admissions.

Because it's worth it to get the freshman experience at a great, four year university where there's continuity in your social circle.

If it's your dream school, we'd love to have you. If you have any specific questions about USC, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to answer them.

14. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

What are the hope's for someone with a 1.69 gpa and normal scores on the state standards test's for going to college?

Just curious. :cool:

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'd think the hope is to start studying. :p

16. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

Study what though? If your going to graduate in the summer, what'd you recommend someone study? If my child got... b's.... for the rest of the year, would they achieve at least a 2.3? They're a highschool senior, by the way.

Is there hope to go to college?

17. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Junior College/Community college. A 1.69 gpa (can you even graduate high school with a 1.69?) and even a 2.3 gpa aren't going to be enough to get you into any four years. Go to community college, work really hard (get well above a 3.0, preferably above a 3.5), acquire good study skills, then transfer to a university.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I assume you are talking about yourself... Studying is always good.

19. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I'm going to a community college in Alaska right now (Kenai Peninsula College, a branch of University Of Alaska). I'm hoping to get my associate arts degree by the end of next summer and then I'm thinking about transferring to CSU for computer science. How 'bout that dukebound85?

20. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

Maybe you should re-read my post???

21. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I'm in college this year. Last year, I applied for Berklee College of Music, Western Michigan, and Michigan State. I got accepted to all of them, and I'm now at Berklee for my undergrad in Composition and possibly music education, mostly because my principal instrument is not recognised at any of the other schools (and very few schools at all).

22. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i never went to skool. Raised by snow leopards in the jungles of Florida.

23. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

same here. alot more personal attention in a smaller school, and i would have likely cracked in a big state university. my biggest class was about 60-70 students (most were under 30 students) and i had a bit more freedom to ask the profs during and after class about something i had an issue in lectures or homework. plus, all of the classes were taught by professors, not grad students like you'll likely see in a big university introduction class with 400 students.

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It sounded like another one of the "my friend..." stories. My apologies if it is not.

Agreed, I'm loving having the small classes with professors that know my name.

25. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Hey thanks! I just might do that.