Anybody downgraded from 12.9 to 9.7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Sep 24, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

got to admit using my 12.9 and going to the 9.7 pro that my girlfriend has is weird but realize it is very comfortable to use due to how,portable it is

Anybody had the 12.9 but got the 9.7 instead?

2. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Having used the 12.9" iPP since it came out, I don't think i can ever downgrade to that little screen

3. RedOrchestra Suspended

Going to a 9.7" iPad Pro can hardly be seen as downgrading ... downsizing yes, downgrading ... NO bloody way.

4. Macmamamac macrumors regular

That would be like downgrading your female companion to a model with smaller breasts. Unthinkable.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I fall in love with the 12.9 everytime I'm at the fam's house. I can't wait to get my own.

6. Synergie macrumors 6502a

It's a downgrade in processor speed (12.9 clocked faster), RAM (12.9 has double the RAM), and USB (12.9 has USB-C) and of course screen size.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

And yet it's also an upgrade in some aspects. Mainly screen quality and portability.

8. ajaan macrumors member

Pretty sure there's no USB-c on the 12.9 Pro.

9. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Don't do it. I love the space. It is big, but worth the adjustment.

10. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Try out the USB-C 12 watt charger! You just need the lightning to USB-C cable!

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I sold my large iPad and bought an additional 9.7. Just prefer the keyboard and size of the 9.7.

12. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Wait a min... you have two 9.7" iPP?

My sister has the 9.7" iPP and as much as I like the size... it's difficult for me to choose 9.7" over the 12.9", I just enjoy the real estate it provides. And using SplitView just does it for me on the 12.9".

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yep, one for next to the Lazyboy and one lives in the SUV for field work.

Do not get me wrong, the 12.9 is awesome.

What is great is Apple gives use choice!

14. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

29w. The USB-C charger is 29w. It definitely charges the 12.9" iPad Pro faster, but I believe this is a USB 3.0 spec thing and not necessarily a USB-C thing. The iPad Pro 12.9" model supports USB 3.0 speed data transfers while the 9.7" model does not.

15. blitzwing macrumors member

I am seriously considering to replace my 12.9 with a 9.7 due to portability reason. 12.9 is great but the size and weight does make it difficult to use it as a consumption device when you are out like reading with one hand. The only thing holding me back is that i also use it for work so the big screen is fantastic for that especially with split screen.

16. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I use all the iDevice sizes (6S Plus, Mini4, iPP 9.7", and iPP 12.9") I prefer my 12.9" to doing larger more detailed drawing/illustration, photo/video editing and writing. I use the 9.7" for quick sketches and watching Netflix and stuff. :)
    Also it's not really downgrading as both have beyond powerful specs and amazing screens, the size and RAM are really the only differences, (oh and the 9.7" has that P3-Cinema display... which is NOoice!) But yeah, I never downgrade if I use one iPad over the other as they are all Oisome! ;)

Kal.

17. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

I personally have! The bigger Pro was tooo big for me!!! Love the smaller Pro!

18. roneylirio macrumors member

staff who have iPhone 6s plus and an ipad as pro 9.7, could say whether it is advantageous to have both? since I bought an iPhone plus 7 and only use the iPad to surf the internet, Youtube, check e-mails and read PDF files. is it worth to have both? since the plus have that big screen

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Neither is really a downgrade or upgrade from the other because Apple made sure to confound both models so that each has some type of hardware advantage over the other.

20. marcociccone macrumors member

Really depends by your usage patterns.

Few years ago I used to commute with my iphone and ipad to read, watch movies, etc.

Since I switched to Plus devices I have noticed that I stopped using the iPad Air 2, but I already have a MacBook Air that I mainly use for my work and also at home when I need to do some stuff the require a bigger screen. The plus has been my sole device for media consumption on the go.

I have to say, I don't travel much, just commute. If I'd travel a lot for work, I probably use my iPad Air more for surfing, etc.

Another area where probably iPad is much better is gaming. I'm not into heavy gaming anymore, otherwise I'd probably use the iPad more.

At the end really depends on how much media do you consume on the go and if you have already access to a big screen (macbook/laptop) at work/home.

21. roneylirio macrumors member

I actually just got the iphone 6s I'll change for iphone 7 plus and have the prop ipad 9.7, but at home I have a desktop PC with a gtx 1070, PC master race, and I use it at home, but when I do not want sitting use iPad pro 9.7, at work I use the company laptop.
    My question is, will I lose interest in cases since'll have a phone with a larger screen.

22. marcociccone macrumors member

Well it's really difficult to answer this question, it really depends by you.

Personally, I would go crazy with so many devices, I'm definitely the one that prefers a minimalistic approach. But this is just me, based on my job, usage patterns, etc. I'm working on some personal projects along with my job, so I need a laptop that it's just to cumbersome to be used while I commute 1.30 hours a day, so in this scenario the 6s plus fits perfectly. And again I have an iPad Air that I'm not using anymore 'cause of the 6s plus.
    If I wouldn't need a laptop to work on my business and projects, I'll definitely go for an iPhone 7 and iPad Pro, it's the perfect "consuming media" combo for me with extreme portability, especially now that the iP7 camera has OIS... one of the main reasons why I've chosen the plus version 2 years ago, even if the big size really bothers me especially when I put it in my pockets.

But again, that's me, I think none can predict if you'll lose interest... lots of people that switched to the 7 plus reported to have used their ipad much less tho.

23. cibonak macrumors regular

cibonak

The best thing to do is the following....

You buy an ipad pro 12.9 on craigslist or any ads for a vert cheap lrice so that you can resell it at the orice you bought on the ad.

You try 1-2 weeks.... If you are not happy you sell it. And you do the same thing with the ipad pro 9.7.

I bought the ipad pro 12.9 at 700$ CAN with 10 months warantee. Since im a teacher i found it to big for my use. I sold it and bought the ipad pro 9.7 sealed 128gb wifi applecare+ and apple pencil for only 750$ CAN instead of 1208$+tax = 1375$

24. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

i did,

missed the perfect feel of 9.7

missed the perfect feel of smaller phones too, so got an SE

but thoroughly enjoying my 2016 iPhab and 2016 iTech in it, as well haha