Anybody else disappointed with the 12" MBA leak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by saintforlife, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Looks like they just have some photos and no actual information about the screen, processor, ports, etc.

No, I'm not bored with the unibody Al chassis. What would you rather have? Plastic gets chipped and covered in hairline scratches. Carbon fiber is flimsy, has a distracting pattern, and is essentially covered in plastic anyway. Magnesium laptops feel flimsy to me, like they're about to shatter.

So I'd say aluminum it is. If you need something pink with rainbows on it, you can always get a case for your laptop, or stickers.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The unibody aluminium is an amazing design, so for my sake they should keep it. Compared to a plastic housing, then there's not even a contest.

I love the current MBA design. The only thing that could make it better designwise, is a black edge around the screen like on the MBP and smaller bezel.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

No matter how pretty, the lack of conventional ports is making it a hard sell for me. I will have to see how Apple deals with the loss of these ports and I do not want to be carrying a lot of extra crap with me to just read an SD card.:mad:

Sometime Apple's need for thin and smaller decreases it's functionality.:rolleyes:

Core M - Oh no!

5. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

I'm disappointed

Actually, I'm disappointed with the whole of Tim Cook's Apple, it doesn't Think Different, it wants to make everything. No one asked for less ports in the MacBook Air, everyone was asking for Retina display and thinner bezel not thinner machine.

6. Vandefilm macrumors regular

So first you say it doesn't think different and right after that you speak about what people want? Since when does Apple listens to people? They think different in that that they do things differently to what most people think they want. Nobody wanted a smartphone, nobody thought they needed a tablet everybody was complaining about the iPhone 6. Apple is doing great under Cook.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

It wouldn't be an Apple produce if internet posters weren't disappointed.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What should they use instead? Unobtainium?

IMHO it's a very modern design, perfect for the market it's aiming at. The lack of ports is easily remedied with dongles for those who need them.

SD card readers are handy but modern cameras have WiFi built for transfer. I applaud Apple for not hanging on to and cluttering up a portable device with doodads from yesteryear, I still see VGA ports on some laptops.

I use a QNAP QGenie as a USB 3.0 to SD card adapter, WiFi AP, NAS, 4G hotspot etc... All the QGenie would need would be a micro USB 3.0 to whatever Apple's USB plug is. I also have an Anker USB 3.0 three port hub with GigE so I'm covered/connected when I need it. Also both are super portable.

9. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

I just looked at some benchmarks of the Intel Core M 5Y10 and it seems performance wise it gets around the same Scores as the 2011 MBA 11 (around 3700 points on Geekbench 3). The scores are pretty depended on the implementation from the manufacturer however.

For normal use I think that is enough, Poweruser should look elsewhere though.

10. motrek macrumors 68020

OMG, just click on the link and you'll see that there are a few pictures of a new laptop, and the rest is still all just speculation. You can't tell from the pictures what ports it has or doesn't have. Or what processor it has.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You see upset. OMG!

My words are not based on the images and are based on "speculation" and knowing how Apple wants everything to be thinner. Sorry my comments upset you but I have a right to state them as you have a right to get "OMG" upset!:p

This is the MacRUMORS forum where rumors ARE allowed, Sir.

12. newellj macrumors 601

I couldn't possibly agree with you more about ports and connectivity, but I think that the computer industry as a whole is trying very hard to push us to wireless "connectivity" (which can often be no connectivity at all).

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There is no doubt they are heading in that direction. But my need for using a jump drive and SD card are not going to be replaced anytime soon by wireless.

14. motrek macrumors 68020

Sure, rumors are allowed but you are talking about stuff as if it's fact, e.g.: "the lack of conventional ports is making it a hard sell for me."

Nobody knows if it lacks conventional ports. There has been no evidence one way or the other yet. But you are talking about this as if you can go to a local Apple Store this afternoon and buy a MacBook with no ports.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I really think you need to improve your reading interpetation skills. My comments are just like many others and it is all rumors. Show me where I mislead people into thinking they can get it now at the local Apple store.

These rumors are coming from multiple sources and are just as good as any except you have choosen to be offended.

Just take a deep breath and relax. This is all just for fun and I mean you no harm. Some like to turn everything into an argument!:)

16. newellj macrumors 601

Agreed. Cr@p, I live and work in the Boston area and there are very significant areas where there is no cell coverage ($$$ even if it existed) and wireless, especially fast, secure wireless, is far from ubiquitous.

17. animatedude macrumors 65816

Apple is making a progress to the Macbook Air line up by making faster, slimmer, less ports with much better display that will make your Macbook Air look like it was made 10 years ago, why the hell are you complaining about that?!!

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT>?!1?1?! go buy dell you ****ing morons!

18. HunterGather macrumors member

I just want an 11/12 inch macbook air with a retina display. That's all...

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The design looks nice, the lack of standard ports assuming the rumors are true is a deal breaker for me when I want to upgrade my current macbook air though.

Maybe in 5 to 10 years most of the ports we have now will be unnecessary, but for now they are still needed.

20. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Core M is a dealbreaker for me - same performance in geek bench as an iPad air 2 - right? (Hopefully I'm wrong with that stat)

iMHO the new Dell XPS 13 looks very tempting. 13 inch retina display in a 11 inch chassis. Al casing. 13 hour battery life. Large glass trackpad. Free upgrade to windows 10. Plus windows seems to play nicer with my network and nas set-up. I'll give it a few months but Apple really have to step up with the existing air line. If they come out with something similar with the new air 13 I'll be all over it, otherwise I could well switch.

21. thebrobrah macrumors regular

22. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I liked the white and Black macbooks ...

23. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

It works like this every year. Bad rumors are spreaded and everyone is angry at Apple. 3 months later they hold a Keynote and it is revealed that the device is not as bad as everyone thought. Plus they mention something like “this is the biggest change ever“ and everyone is going to buy the new product. IMO all those leaks are made to lower our expectations or to make people talk about the upcoming product ( i.e. iphone sapphire screen )

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would have thought that a place like Boston would be bathed in cellular:rolleyes:

Have a great weekend.

25. HandySam macrumors member

What is it that you do on a MacBook Air that requires soo much CPU power? The Core M still has pretty good graphics and don't forget that you will get a PCIe SSD and way faster RAM. So in total it will be a lot faster then the iPad Air 2.

I'm using a MacBook Air since the 2011 edition, I upgraded to a 2012 (8GB RAM) and I'm still using the 2012 while my sister uses the 2011.

I have 4 operating systems on my MacBook Air (OS X, Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Windows 8.1 (parallels)) all on my 128GB SSD (the Toshiba/sandforce one). I use this computer to write code, databases (Win 8.1), browsing, sometimes a game like League of Legends.

I have never thought: damn, I need a faster CPU. Most of my gaming is done on a custom built PC. In fact as of yesterday I broke my fan cable of my MacBook Air and so now it is running without a fan. I keep a close eye on the temperatures and I'm quite surprised to see that its actually quite hard to let it reach 100 degrees. I really have to force it in normal use (except when you would play a game). With my normal use I see temps between 45 degrees C and 75 degrees C. (this is running OS X with Parallels (Win 8.1 4GB RAM))

So I'm really looking forward to this new MacBook Air. The only complaint I have at the moment is the display. When I see a retina Mac and I return to my Air then I wish for a better display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.