Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Hi, up until today I have always had back cases for all my products such as iPhone, iPod touch, iPad 1 etc etc

I've just got a new iPad 2 and thought I'd try it without a case and omg it feels sooooo much nicer.

Anybody else go bareback? Am I mad?

I do have a screen protector but may even drop that now.

Matt

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I have a smartcover and a screen protector. It's great. I carry it in a Targus sleeve.

Last edited by a moderator:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Been going bareback for some months now, with some minor scratches on the back*. My iPad also has minor scratches on the back too, but I stopped caring about that a long time ago. I use a Smart Cover, as the screen is the most important, and that is flawless.

*Obvious joke is obvious.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I have a smart cover.

The only time I keep it on when using the iPad is when I'm using it as a stand so you could say I'm going bareback the vast majority of the time. Can't imagine having something covering it up when using it. Feels great in the hands!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
no chance. ever. this ipad is going to look brand new when i sell it in preparation for the ipad 3 (or maybe migration to android, if the app market beefs up on productivity).

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
If you don't want a case but are worried about it you could go with an invisible shield. I have a I have a X-Men skinit on mine.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i just use a smart cover, but when i put my iPad down on the table i always put the smart cove face down so i don't scratch the back. as for my iPhone i use a slide in case just from my pocket.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
No way. I use a zagg shield and its great. I put it on properly this time so am happy with it. I use my iPad all the time so it'd be a bad idea for me to go naked.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
95% of the time I use my iPad it is in the lap position, horizontal or else I would go bareback.

Like this.

apple-official-300x166.jpg

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I used to use the Apple Case for the iPad, but I stopped using it about a year back because the iPad was just so nice to hold on its own. Been naked for a year now, and it's still perfectly fine. There's a small dent in the back, but whatever, not too shabby for a nearly two-year-old iPad :)

As for my iPhone, I've never used a case with any of them. Not my original, not my 3GS, and not my 4. And they all still look great!

MonsterRain

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I don't buy my Apple products with the intention of selling them later. I buy them to use them. For that reason? No case. With the iPad, whenever I do get one, at most, I'll just use the smart cover, only for the dust protection. I don't care about the back of the device. I could care less if it becomes one big scratched up mess. I'll never see it.

I've never had problems selling a scratched up iDevice for the same price as one that isn't, as long as the front is still good.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I went out right after I got the iPad 2 and bought a Galaxy screen protector and stuck it on the back. It was about 1" too small all the way around, but it is enough to protect the back from scratches when I set it down. It is also slightly rubbery feeling and has a good grip in my hand.

bryanjc

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Hi, up until today I have always had back cases for all my products such as iPhone, iPod touch, iPad 1 etc etc

I've just got a new iPad 2 and thought I'd try it without a case and omg it feels sooooo much nicer.

Anybody else go bareback? Am I mad?

I do have a screen protector but may even drop that now.

Matt

dont bother with a screen protector, they are more trouble that they are worth, i have a smart cover and a sleeve for travel. :apple:

jacobson00

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I would rather not go bareback. It is just not safe... So many diseases can happen on the ipad. Just put some protection. Unless you really trust yourself and the ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.