Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I've seen countless threads about battery problems on the iPhone 4s but I haven't really had any issues. It was fine immediately out of the box for the most part and after letting it drain completely to dead and then giving it a FULL charge to 100% via the wall plug it's even better than before. I've had it unplugged from the charger for a good 20-30 minutes now and it's still at 100% since the full charge.

Even before doing this while letting it drain last night I left it by my bedside and it started at 28% and when I woke up this morning it was still at 25% and that's with bluetooth on, wifi on, location services on for 3 things, etc.

Am I just lucky?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I agree ... If people are seeing any battery complaints, it's a matter of them utilizing 50 million location based apps, which drain battery. Something has to give, you can't constantly ping the GPS unit and expect perfect battery life.

By clearing my apps every now and then and restarting daily (it's not necessary just a peeve), I can easily get through a full day maybe using 50-60%, and I use features like iTunes match and I probably abuse my usage in general!

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
My battery has been fine, the same as my iPhone 4. I will admit I also carry around two phones (a 4 and 4s, previously a 3GS and 4) so I am not as impacted by the battery problems. I've never thought the iPhone 4 had that great if a battery either. Even when all the posters here said it was the greatest battery ever, I wasn't that impressed. I had hoped for an improved battery.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
None here, I can use it all day and go to sleep and wake up with more than 40% left. Thats a good two day charge.

I do turn off wifi and GPS when not using them.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
None here, I can use it all day and go to sleep and wake up with more than 40% left. Thats a good two day charge.

I do turn off wifi and GPS when not using them.

I leave WiFi on but turn off the "Ask to joint networks" part so it just connects when I'm home and if I want to join a wireless network while I'm out I can do so easily but it's not always searching.

Civic Minded

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Woodstock, GA
I agree ... If people are seeing any battery complaints, it's a matter of them utilizing 50 million location based apps, which drain battery. Something has to give, you can't constantly ping the GPS unit and expect perfect battery life.

By clearing my apps every now and then and restarting daily (it's not necessary just a peeve), I can easily get through a full day maybe using 50-60%, and I use features like iTunes match and I probably abuse my usage in general!

This couldn't be any further from the truth in my case. I'm on my second 4S already and both have exhibited the same problems. All extras are turned off. No Siri, no location services, no iCloud. Just the phone and wifi. Both phones reached 10 percent or less after less than 7 hours off a full charge.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
No problems that I've noticed with mine, either. Seems fantastic compared to my Android phone.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
This couldn't be any further from the truth in my case. I'm on my second 4S already and both have exhibited the same problems. All extras are turned off. No Siri, no location services, no iCloud. Just the phone and wifi. Both phones reached 10 percent or less after less than 7 hours off a full charge.

Your devices must be faulty because that is certainly not the case with mine or many others as you see posting in this thread.

hazeydavey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

Same here. I turned off EVERYthing but the phone service.

It went from 100% - 96% in the time it took me to walk to subway.

I played 10 mins of angry birds and it was down to 84%.

By 4 Pm in the afternoon I was around 12% with the phone just sitting on my desk with WIFI turned off and no calls made....normally my phone lasted all day at work and by 11 PM at night was around...20%. (with location services on, calls made, webs surfed, emails answered)

I don't know what to do short of returning this.

I've done every single suggestion, reset things, reinstalled. It's crazy.

I guess next is return it for a new one...maybe I'll get lucky.

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
I've always had great battery life on iPhone 4. Typical for me is having full charge at 6:30 am and after a full day of texting, calling, FB, tapatalk, at the end of the day I still have 40%+.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Here is a teqniuqe to try. tonight plug the phone into the wall (use the cord!) then turn it off while plugged in, let it charge all night. That charge should last and improve your problems.

Civic Minded

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Woodstock, GA
Your devices must be faulty because that is certainly not the case with mine or many others as you see posting in this thread.

I've gathered that, thank you. When this thread gets to 50 pages of people saying their phones are perfectly fine, we'll talk. Until then, there is zero doubt that there's a pretty widespread problem. Just be thankful that you got a good phone the first time around. Driving all the way down to the apple store isn't exactly convenient for me.

hexon

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I haven't noticed any battery problems with mine either. It's great compared to my droid. I took mine off the charger at 7:30am and it's just now 5:30pm and I have 61% left. I've been checking FB, surfing the web, and texting all day off and on.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
My phone is fine!

I am using a little bit more battery with my 4S but that is due to my utilization of the location based reminders and Siri.

I can easily get through an entire day.

While I realize some people are truly having battery issues... for those of you who haven't done this yet, make sure you have tried restoring your phone and setting it up as new, not from a backup!

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I had battery issues and resolved them. Deleted and recreated my Exchange account, and also noticed it was stuck on a WiFi sync (greyed out) waiting for my computer to come back online (It was online, but that's a whole different story). After clearing that and setting my Exchange mail up again from scratch, I'm back to about the same usage I was getting from the battery on my old iPhone 4

Civic Minded

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Woodstock, GA
I had battery issues and resolved them. Deleted and recreated my Exchange account, and also noticed it was stuck on a WiFi sync (greyed out) waiting for my computer to come back online (It was online, but that's a whole different story). After clearing that and setting my Exchange mail up again from scratch, I'm back to about the same usage I was getting from the battery on my old iPhone 4

How did you get the phone to clear the wifi sync issue? I don't see any option to turn it off through the phone?

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I was having bad battery usage and standby yesterday. Literally dead by 4pm where my iphone4 would only be at 50%. Last night I erased all content and setting and did a fresh restore and set up as new phone. The first thing I did was delete iCloud all together. Unplugged phone this morning at 7am and as of now I have 7.5 hrs standby and 1.5 hrs usage and I'm at 92% still. Could it be iCloud?

I didn't turn anything else off and am waiting for the 24 hour mark so I can check my location services and especially system services to see if anything has bee used.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I will admit that my 4S battery comes home with a little les power than the 4 did but I have been playing with it a LOT more. Still never return from days work with less than 60% and 70% was normal for my iPhone 4 so I am not going to complain!

Nothing wrong with the 4S battery for me. I have all my loc services on and mail is being fetched every 15 minutes 24/7. I also retored my phone from a iPhone 4 back up so that blows that theory!

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Mine is about the same as my iPhone 4. I was hoping for BETTER battery life, but this is a more powerful device so... whatevs

Also, if I remember correctly, with my iPhone 4 it took a cycle or two for the battery percentage to accurately be represented on the status bar

GuardsRed Apple

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Been lurking for years, but first time poster....got a 4S on Saturday coming from an iPhone 4.

I bought the phone and started using it as a new device, did not restore from a backup at all. But I also noticed a heavier battery drain than I was used to and increased "usage" showing up when I didn't really use my phone that much.

After reading all the epic threads, I decided just to restore the phone as a new device in iTunes thinking that maybe the firmware/software coming on the devices from the factory is somehow faulted. I didn't have anything (game scores, etc.) that I cared about trying to save.

I'm happy to report that re-downloading the software and restoring as new has completely fixed my device to be just like my iPhone 4 was. Battery life is great and is not draining too much for no good reason anymore. Again, I did not use anything from previous phones.....I started completely fresh, re-dl'd apps, put in contacts, etc. Time consuming, yes....but worth it now.

Also, my screen was "warmer" or more yellow when I first bought it when compared to my iPhone 4 which looked perfect to me. Comparing again last night, now my 4S screen looks better than my 4 screen! Whites were more white, colors better and not washed out appearing. This yellowing must go away on its own after awhile.

So overall, I'm very happy with my 4S now!

I would vote restoring the device as new and starting fresh, or waiting until Apple comes out with a software update to do it for you so you don't lose game scores or texts.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
iPhone 4 battery life stellar as ever.

----------

Also, my screen was "warmer" or more yellow when I first bought it when compared to my iPhone 4 which looked perfect to me. Comparing again last night, now my 4S screen looks better than my 4 screen! Whites were more white, colors better and not washed out appearing. This yellowing must go away on its own after awhile.

It's all in your mind. You're just getting accustomed to the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.