Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Upgrade being the operative word, next year’s phones would be the “best phones ever” over the current phones :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I stopped watching keynotes. They've lost their magic.

I come here to look up the bulletin points and that's good enough for me.

I guess it helps I'm not longer upgrading yearly.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I mean, what do you expect Apple to say? They *market* what they feel is the ‘best’ product they can release to the consumer and by doing that, they want people to know it’s the ‘best’ by them saying it. That not only applies to Apple, but it applies to a lot of companies that want to sell their product that they claim is the ‘best’ to the customer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think its tiring, but its not an apple thing. I hear the same thing from any media event. Microsoft has one this week I believe and they'll no doubt say how great their new laptop(s) will be. Its just part of the marketing puffery that occurs on these events.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think its tiring, but its not an apple thing. I hear the same thing from any media event. Microsoft has one this week I believe and they'll no doubt say how great their new laptop(s) will be. Its just part of the marketing puffery that occurs on these events.

It will be very very interesting to see how they promote the new Surface Pro, as the leaked hands on video shows it looks exactly the same as the previous models.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It will be very very interesting to see how they promote the new Surface Pro, as the leaked hands on video shows it looks exactly the same as the previous models.
I hadn't seen that video, I'll have to check it out.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Remember that Jim Carrey movie Liar Liar? He plays a lawyer who constantly lies, until his son wishes that he would tell the truth for one day. Then he can't stop telling the truth. Imagine Tim Cook:

"I'm so very excited to show you the new iPhone XIV SuperMax. It's really not much different than last year's model, but we really, really want you to buy it. It's got a humongous screen that will be a crapshoot for you to find without some visible flaws. We're going to be launching it with some pretty critical software bugs because we're on a tight deadline to satisfy our investors. But we'll try to come up with a solution if enough people complain. In the meantime, you'll have fun playing games on the phone, which should compensate for the dropped calls and slow network speeds. And now I'd like to have Craig Federighi come out to tell you more because, frankly, he's such a likable guy."

P.S. Dear Tim, I'm just kidding. I like your products.

Reactions: ftaok and arkitect

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Of course your not going to say it’s the second best we ever made. It’s the newest of course it’s going to be the best you made...ugh

Not sure why I just thought about this..lol

No, that’s just logic. A year when it’s not the best iPhone would make me worry ;)

What I do find tiring though is “your” instead of “you’re” and similar typos. ;)

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
The depth of this thread---

And we all, or most, keep buying these products.

jlinear

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
It’s pretty much the same marketing shtick every year. And they are always “thrilled” to present the best iPhone ever.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Even the smallest improvement makes it their best phone. So it’s true.

What annoys me is that they’re recycling Steve’s formula for presentation. It was his own style and seems insincere in his absence. They need to find a way to make it their own.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Yes it’s obvious it’s the best iPhone ever we all know that. But you have to remember they are marketing to people who aren’t enthusiasts like most of us, so they need to emphasise this kind of thing in their marketing spiel

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Even the smallest improvement makes it their best phone. So it’s true.

What annoys me is that they’re recycling Steve’s formula for presentation. It was his own style and seems insincere in his absence. They need to find a way to make it their own.

Perhaps they want to carry on his legacy by continuing key notes that he formatted a certain way? It’s not exactly how it used to be when he was on stage, but I still think it’s respectful that they have similarities to how he conducted things in the past. Its More a tribute than anything.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
only at an Apple event does the audience applause when Apple announces its added wireless charging or improved the camera.....
Sad really.
They are happy that the device they like to use is getting better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.