Anybody else's iPad Pro freezing up randomly on safari?

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I don't know if this week I have just had absolutely horrible luck on everything or if it is a problem with my iPad Pro. I keep randomly having my safari freeze up and I can't do anything unless if I hit the power button and than unlock it again, which it takes a few seconds after that to get it to start working again.

If I hit the home button it doesn't work or anything.

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Does it happen on all websites or just specific ones? May be a problem with how a certain website is coded.

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
Also have this issue on a new iPad Mini 2 given to me that's set up as new and updated from 9.1 to 9.2.1. Only have three tabs opened and Safari is mostly frozen as it only scrolls a little bit every minute or so. My gut feeling is iOS Safari has issues handling javascript. My $25 Moto G with 1GB DRAM, similar to iPad Mini 2, has no issue with the same three sites. Hoping iOS 9.3 fixes this.

Last edited:
Reactions: npolly0212

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Also have this issue on a new iPad Mini 2 given to me that's set up as new and updated from 9.1 to 9.2.1. Only have three tabs opened and Safari is mostly frozen as it only scrolls a little bit every minute or so. My gut feeling is iOS Safari has issues handling javascript. My Moto G with 1GB DRAM, similar to iPad Mini 2, has no issue with the same three sites. Hoping iOS 9.3 fixes this.
That's weird, Safari works fine on my iPad Air, and even not as bad as your Mini on my grandma's iPad 2 lol. Something has to be wrong for it to scroll like that

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
That's a different and worse issue if it's doing it at your home screen. You might want to consider trying a full IPSW iOS image restore via iTunes, set up as new and see if it still has issues. If the issue persists then take it the Apple store and get it replaced.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
That's a different and worse issue if it's doing it at your home screen. You might want to consider trying a full IPSW iOS image restore via iTunes, set up as new and see if it still has issues. If the issue persists then take it the Apple store and get it replaced.
How do I go about this? No idea what you mean with the restore

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
Can't really help you troubleshoot this too much cause I don't know how to fix it, but I can definitely confirm I have the same issue on my iPad Pro 12.9. Have had it for quite awhile actually. The page will totally freeze up and non responsive to touch input so I have to manually close safari and reopen

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Note, I've had this happen, too, on all my iPads. Typically on pages with heavy JavaScript and/or graphics. Happens more often on the iPad 3 than on the 4 or Air. I usually just hard reset and close the offending tab.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Been using the Pro from day one, daily on the Internet. Maybe one out of a hundred sites will give it a problem, no more than my desktop or laptop. Some sites just produce these errors.

It does sound like you got something more serious going on and I hope you get it worked out.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Can't really help you troubleshoot this too much cause I don't know how to fix it, but I can definitely confirm I have the same issue on my iPad Pro 12.9. Have had it for quite awhile actually. The page will totally freeze up and non responsive to touch input so I have to manually close safari and reopen
Oh I can't even do that, I have to put it to sleep and restyle in my passcode and everything..

Note, I've had this happen, too, on all my iPads. Typically on pages with heavy JavaScript and/or graphics. Happens more often on the iPad 3 than on the 4 or Air. I usually just hard reset and close the offending tab.
Yeah, but it's a brand new product, I would like it to work flawless lol. I honestly think it was the new update.

Do a backup first then follow the procedures in the link below and choose restore. It'll take a bit to download the full iOS image since it's about 2GB and to image onto your iPad Pro.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263
Thanks, will give it a try

Been using the Pro from day one, daily on the Internet. Maybe one out of a hundred sites will give it a problem, no more than my desktop or laptop. Some sites just produce these errors.

It does sound like you got something more serious going on and I hope you get it worked out.
They told me I will have to send in for repair/replacement which could take up to 10 days. Which is a problem since everything I do for school I use my iPad for..

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah, but it's a brand new product, I would like it to work flawless lol. I honestly think it was the new update.
Meanwhile, I don't expect any device to function perfectly all the time. Engineers and programmers are human, too. :p

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
If you're on iOS 9.3 and think that's the issue you can download the previous version 9.21 which is still signed and restore with iTunes. Perhaps try this after if restoring 9.3 and setting up as new doesn't fix it.

iOS Download
https://ipsw.me/

Restore procedures
http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/19/update-ios-9-manually-itunes-firmware/
I will have to see if I can figure this out.
I upgraded to one with more storage and cellular, so I may just send it in once I get my new one and than sell it

Meanwhile, I don't expect any device to function perfectly all the time. Engineers and programmers are human, too. :p
I'm in school to be a programmer! Lol
So I know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.