Anybody excited about getting the 8 next Friday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 13, 2017.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68020

I can't wait and it's a new gadget before people get the X. :D

2. davelees76 macrumors member

Yeah, pretty exited here. Upgrading from the SE.

Really looking forward to the bigger screen, camera and that beast of an A11 chip.

3. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

4. kenz1980 macrumors newbie

Will they ship next Friday? Or if people preordered in time could they potentially get them on the 22nd(next Friday?)

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68020

No doubt there will be the usual queue. I will get my order in quick.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Why do people only care about the design? Coming from a 6 like myself, the 8 or 8 Plus is a substantial upgrade even though it looks the same. In fact, the internals/benchmarks of the 8 pretty much match the X, which will blow away every other phone on the market.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No they stated that pre-orders start on the 15 and availability on the 22nd.

8. ncrypt macrumors 6502

Really looking forward to upgrading to an 8+ from the 6 :D

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Other then faster processing, what other features does it have?

The difference between the 7 and 8 is negligible, i.e., just the processor it seems. The difference between the 6 and 8 is a tad more pronounced.

I'm coming from an SE, and I'm having trouble justifying spending $$$ on the 8

10. Nik macrumors 6502a

Changes 7 vs 8 (non plus):
    - Glass Back (less slippery)
    - Wireless Charging
    - A11 Chip (+70% CPU / +30% GPU)
    - Augmented Reality Applications
    - True Tone
    - Fast Charging Capable
    - 60FPS 4K Recording
    - 240fps 1080p Recording

There are quite a few changes

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

But the X is basically an 8 Plus in a sleeker form with better display, but for hundreds of dollars more.

12. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

No but hes right its more expensive than the iphone 7 was when it came out last year. Where it should have been the same price. The way they are getting around it is because they are saying "Oh look we are giving you 64GB now instead of 32GB" Which is a joke.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, no argument. I wasn't talking about the x however. This thread is about the 8 and getting (or ordering)

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I don't disagree.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Fair enough. It just seems that a lot of people are quick to say how great the X is but say the 8 or 8 Plus is only an incremental upgrade. People are more swayed by appearance than they like to admit.

15. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Does the smaller 4.7" include stage light effects?

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not to derail the thread, too much but I think it has some merit. The issue with the 8 is that its basically an iPhone 7 with a newer processor. That's it The X represents actual new features and a new look. Whether those features and looks are worth the higher price is debatable.

Looks always have an impact, why else would product makers spend so much time on design, whether we're talking about coffee makers, cars or phones.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

In fairness though the iPhone X looks very similar to quite a few Android Flagships from the front. At least the 8 looks distinctive in regards to still looking like an iPhone.

18. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

People are really spoiled these days. Yes, prices are (very) high, but honestly, the "i have to buy a new smartphone every year" is just consumer whoring. Normal people only buy stuff when it stops working or gets painfully slow. I still have my iPhone 5, almost 5 years old now. Right now, my phone stops reacting for a small minute so i'm guessing it's time to upgrade. I'm upgrading to the iPhone 8 64GB which is a huge upgrade for me. People tend to forget how much tech there is inside such a small machine.

19. super chimp macrumors 6502a

Also the X is the first generation of an all new Apple product and we all know how that ends!

20. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

30% + over the A10 not 70% and how many apps push even the A10 to its limits? CPU stats are for bragging rights and the A10 is certainly no slouch and like computers now the CPU's are so powerful that in itself isnt a great reason to update so much as it used to be. The 8 for myself just isn't worth the money as an upgrade over the 7 and the X is totally to expensive with Apple care in the UK its £1348 or there about, that's crazy money for a phone I think.

I do feel pushed into a higher tier of storage at 256GB because they removed 128GB ,which was a sweet spot for many, I just don't need that much and 64GB is to little, adding even more to the cost. Yes I could afford it but I do feel slightly manipulated here. Also I see the X as more of a concept and bleeding edge tech just hurts to much these days. Maybe next year when that tech hopefully matures and trickles down to the standard phone line up and the inevitable hardware/software bugs get sorted out as all these glass backed phones may have potential issues that didn't get fixed this year. Once again that's just my perception others will have theirs, we all like different things.

21. Nik macrumors 6502a

"Introducing A11 Bionic. With four efficiency cores that are up to 70 percent faster than A10 Fusion."

I just read the website. Please do research before claiming that someone is wrong. :rolleyes:

22. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

I'm pre-ordering the 8 on Friday. Had been looking forward to getting the X and really wanted the copper back, but alas, it never materialised. I'm coming from a 6S, which has been a joy to use, but I fancy a change and a new toy.

I much prefer the glass back of the new 8, and I absolutely hate the colour options for the 7 (I like rose gold, but could never have a white-front iPhone), and the two black colours are too manly for me. I like the 'space grey' of the 8 (although it is very much darker than the grey of the 6/6S), so that's what I'm going for. Also coming from a 16gb 6S, so 64gb is plenty for me! Don't keep music on my phone (still use an iPod), so it's more than enough.

Roll on Friday!

23. killhippie, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

Yes, you were right it was 30% efficiency but up to 70% so my mistake. I still don't push my phone enough to need 70% more power than my 7 has. I stick by CPU stats are for bragging rights. Unless you use ever bit of that CPU power its just big numbers to get sales and for myself its not worth the cost this year. The apps I use certainly don't push the CPU to its limits and I doubt iOS 11 will tbh. Its the same as routers many people buy because the number on the box is big so it must be better, without realising that it may not really mean that much in the real world. I think this article sums up exactly my feelings

http://mashable.com/2017/09/12/if-you-own-an-iphone-7-dont-buy-the-iphone-8/#kG_.102ZCPq8

24. Wags macrumors 65816

A buyer for ipx needs to put a value on the 3 or 4 new features/design difference that you are talking about.

25. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to preorder - I'm just going to go to Apple stores next weekend and check out the products. I frankly don't anticipate lines or supply shortages, so I figure I should just be able to go the store and examine the product. I also will be exchanging a 6S, so I figure Apple should give me some $ for that