anybody found a good sleeve case for MBPR yet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Qbiinz, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Qbiinz, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

Qbiinz macrumors newbie

prefferably looking for one that has an extra pocket. any good case recommendations will do doesn't have to be a neoprene sleeve thats just the kind i like since it goes in my backpack anyways.

EDIT:
    i hate hard cases because:
    #1 if any speck of sand or dirt gets in-between the the case an computer its gonna scratch the the body. basically doing what the case is supposed to be protecting against.
    #2 it adds thickness to the laptop adding a little more weight and bulk.
    #3 it takes away from the laptops sleek-ass look
    #4unless specifically designed for macbook pro retina its gonna block the intake vent which are now located on the sides underneath. correct me if I'm wrong but wernt the old vents located behind the keyboard near the black strip?
    #5 are they really gonna protect your laptop if you drop it? i highly doubt it.

So this is the case i settled on. its a terra case made by incase.picked it up at the apple store. Says its made from natural materials(whatever that means) weaved together. It has polyurethane and polyethylene foam on the inside and is very padded.

While the laptop is inside it feels very secure. The zipper is thick which gives me reassurance that it won't fail. Also all the padding makes me feel comfortable that it is well protected. It may look a little thick(but i like that, it makes me feel my laptop is safe) but fits inside my back pack well.

I still have 2 weeks to return it if i don't like the way feels so this is just a test run.

Attached Files:

• 0-1.jpeg
      0-1.jpeg
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
    • 0-2.jpeg
      0-2.jpeg
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
    • 0-3.jpeg
      0-3.jpeg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
    • 0-4.jpeg
      0-4.jpeg
      File size:
      4.1 KB
      Views:
    • 0.jpeg
      0.jpeg
      File size:
      8.9 KB
      Views:
  2. RSully macrumors member

Just did a search since you brought it up. I hadn't looked yet, but I need one.

http://goincase.com/products/category/15"+MacBook+Pro+Retina+display

Any of those look any good?

3. ihakim macrumors member

Also, please share if anyone is aware of really thin, tight, minimalistic sleeves for the MBPR - or ones that would fit it snugly. I essentially have the same purpose, just keeping it in my backpack.

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I don't think any case have been made specifically for the RMBP yet. The incase ones that are linked were designed for the legacy MBP, but are also compatible with the RMBP, although I would obviously expect them to fit a bit loose.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yea, I was about to say....how the heck did Incase come out with new sleeves already. They're the same old sleeves used for the 15" MBP, and definitely will fit loose.

It will still do the job, but expect RMBP designed cases to come within the next 2-4 weeks.

6. 628 macrumors regular

I was going to say incase but someone already suggested it. I currently have a 15 inch incase sleeve that I got on sale from target. I'm waiting to get my laptop so I can put it in to see if it is good or not.

7. ldiggy macrumors newbie

I'm surprised this topic isn't getting more coverage. I don't get my laptop until monday but I'm already fretting about sticking such an expensive item in a loose case :(

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

It won't be that loose. The incase sleeves already are a pretty snug fit. It should work fine. I'm thinking ill buy one from best buy and come back and exchange it within the 30days, hopefully they'll have the new ones in by then...:D

9. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

While we're on the subject of sleeves, does anyone know a hybrid sleeve?

It's like a sleeve, but it also has a layer of hard cover inbetween to protect the laptop. So like a sandwich. Soft cover outside - hard cover in the middle - soft cover inside.

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

11. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I guess I won't be taking my new rMBP outside of the house for a while. It doesn't look like we will see a snug sleeve or a hard case for a few weeks at least.

12. 628 macrumors regular

I'm waiting for the hard cases but the incase sleeve works, and only some targets have it on sale >.>

13. snoflewis macrumors newbie

i pre-ordered my rmbp from amazon...waiting for it to ship, but i went ahead and ordered two cases off incase for the legacy mbp 15s. if you go on slickdeals, there's a deal from google offers that has $25 for $50 + free shipping. ended up getting the cordura sleeve and the coated canvas sling for $41 after tax. not a bad deal considering it's incase. from what i've seen, their stuff is super thickly padded, so i'm hoping it doesnt fit too loose, but we'll see. the way i look at it, the laptop's only 1/4" thinner, it's not gonna make that much of a difference.

14. heyitsmichelle macrumors newbie

Why don't you take a look at the Be.ez la robe sleeves? They're not technically hard in the middle, but they have a tempurpedic like cushion in between layers.

15. albert1028 macrumors 6502

Check out sfbags.com.

Waterfield cases are sworn by many who have used them. They are not cheap, but they extremely durable and all of mine, including the one i bought for my first generation macbook pro, still looks new! And it can be configured in many ways.

They also produce a number of types of sleeve cases. Some thin, some more protective.

16. eron macrumors 6502

+1
    [​IMG]
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/outback-laptop-sleeve/outback-sleeve.php

17. quintendehaas macrumors newbie

Take a look at www.etsy.com. There are tons of handmade and affordable MacBook Pro sleeves, some of them already optimized for Retina MBP. Some of the 'Shop Owners' also offer to custom design a sleeve after you've send the dimensions of your laptop.

I'm also in the market for a RMBP sleeve and added some to my favorites, maybe you like some of them as well: https://www.etsy.com/people/quintendehaas/favorites?ref=si_fav

I really like the concept of Etsy, definitely getting my sleeve there...

18. ihakim macrumors member

Thanks for posting this! I went ahead and ordered the suede sleeve. It shipped this morning and the shipping cost was very reasonable. Only $2.

19. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I just ordered one from wrappers.typepad.com. I always come up with wacky one off designs and they've always fulfilled them flawlessly. Can't say enough good things about them.

20. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

The incase slim neoprene sleve doesn't fit well, theres a lot of extra room in the sleeve.. I would prefer it to be tighter around the RMBP.

I would expect there to be several new RMBP products coming out soon.

21. michaeldavid macrumors newbie

I'm also interested in the BookBook case for my MBPR and so I emailed the company. Good things come to those who wait :)

This was their response:
    Hello Michael, and thank you for your interest in BookBook!

After testing the Retina Display Pro (RD Pro) with our BookBook, we found the fit is not up to our standards thus we really cannot, in good conscience, recommend its use with the RD Pro. The RD Pro is less than ¼-inch thinner, less than ¼-inch less wide, and less than 1/10-inch less deep than the standard 15-inch Pro, which means that although the RD Pro fits in the case (albeit with a bit of extra space that could be used to carry a file or magazine inside), the elastic corner straps do not stay on the corners of the lid as intended. Also, there are no restraints inside this case, so the RD Pro slides just the tiniest bit around inside the case.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't breathe a single molecule of their secrets to us prior to the release of their new devices or upgrades. So we're just like everybody else: we gather around the television in anticipation of what they'll announce, immediately order the new offering (or start standing in line), and await its arrival before we can get started on the Twelve South products to support it. That's why we don't have products available for the new Apple devices at the time of their release.

In addition, we’re just like Apple in that we don’t feel we can comment on prospective products. There are simply too many things that can go wrong or plans that can change, and we don’t ever want to make promises that we can’t keep. However, if you’d us to send you any news regarding our products and compatibility with the RD Pro, please sign up using the link below. You'll only receive emails when we have something significant to announce to RD Pro users – and you can opt out any time. The link is below for your convenience.

https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1426909/1400299/?v=a

Thanks so much for taking the time to email us. We really appreciate your interest and support.

Regards,
    Bridget

Twelve South Support

22. michaeldavid macrumors newbie

After emailing them back that there was another user on the MacRumors Forum that was interested in one, they replied:

You know, it still gives me just a tiny little thrill when I see/hear others talking about our products…very cool.

I'll definitely pass this along to Andrew (co-owner of Twelve South and product designer extraordinaire). I'm collecting the votes 'cause I'd love to see a BookBook specifically for the new RD Pro as well.

Have a great weekend, Michael!

Cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really respect companies that take customer service & suggestions seriously.

If anyone else is interested in ordering one: http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook/ ($79.99-$99.99)

Make sure to email, twitter or FB them to let em know:
    http://twelvesouth.com/contact/

23. leenak macrumors 68020

I'd love to buy the BookBook and totally would if it wasn't leather. If they come out with a non-leather version, I'll be there.

24. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I found one that I like.

Case Logic MLA-116 15.6-Inch Laptop and iPad® Attaché (Black)

I bought it because I have both a tablet I use and my MBP.