Anybody get the Apple Watch LTE INSTEAD of the iPhone X?

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I sure as hell did. I initially was lusting after the X, but the Apple Watch LTE won my heart and with it I’ll be using my actual phone less and less. So there’s really no reason for me to buy a $1200 device I’ll use less than I do now

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I see it as how much would somebody actually get use out of the LTE watch to actually appreciate its independency away from the iPhone.

It's an expensive purchase, but I think it grants the freedom Of not having to have your iPhone tethered on you all the time for when you go on a run, go to the store quickly or you simply want to take a phone call or reply to a quick message without using the iPhone. That's where I see the value with the LTE Apple Watch.

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
I see it as how much would somebody actually get use out of the LTE watch to actually appreciate its independency away from the iPhone.

It's an expensive purchase, but I think it grants the freedom Of not having to have your iPhone tethered on you all the time for when you go on a run, go to the store quickly or you simply want to take a phone call or reply to a quick message without using the iPhone. That's where I see the value with the LTE Apple Watch.
^^^This

Not a phone replacement, but the amount of times I have nipped out to the shops or somewhere and turned around to go home and get my phone 'just in case I need it' is amazing. Don't have to now. Worth the £5/month on my plan for that.

EDIT: TO answer the OP question, I bought an 8+ instead. Didn't want to be part of the pre-order bedlam and had £700 worth of Apple vouchers (given to me for birthday/fathers day) burning a hole in my pocket. Selling my 7+ and AW2 so both AW3 and 8+ will cost me no more than a couple of a hundred extra. iPhone X v2 will probably grab me, but not the X at the moment.

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Enjoy the AW. It does, however, not replace a smartphone.
It does for my use cases.

On-the-go, I used to use my phone for phone calls, text messages, news updates, driving directions and pictures.

My watch does everything I need except take pictures. Taking pictures happens on the weekends with my kids, so I bring my phone along then, but every other time, I use my watch by itself.

If you're not into social media, just replying to an occasional text, or you can wait to do things when you're near your computer or tablet, the watch is amazing.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I'm getting an LTE over upgrading my phone, the 6s is fine for me.
I have a series 2 which is a large improvement over the series 0 I had before. When I bought it, I still had my iPhone 6 and ofc paired it with it. Now as the Watch is paired with my new 8+, I notice that a lot of apps on the Watch are even a LOT faster than with the 6 before.

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
I have bought every new phone since the 3g. I bought a new watch instead of the X. I'd already found myself using my phone less and less - and for a very specific subset of things - and I've actually grown fond of my matte black 7 - it's become my favorite form factor in many generations. The X would not do any of the things I use my phone for materially better than the 7 does, while the AW LTE is a significant leap forward. Besides the fact that it has become my primary running watch, I just like the fact that I can leave my phone behind in many situations. Watch the world around you for a few days. Nearly everywhere we go in public nearly everyone is buried in their phones. Often we are using them for no real reason other than they are in our pocket and it's habit to pull them out. The watch helps break that habit, and I like that.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Absolutely correct.

Many times now I have toted my phone and the functions needed have been available.

One thing that isn’t is the ability to look up products while shopping.

Other than that the LTE in the Watch has decrease my reliance on the phone as well as my interest in the x
[doublepost=1509368658][/doublepost]
I have bought every new phone since the 3g. I bought a new watch instead of the X. I'd already found myself using my phone less and less - and for a very specific subset of things - and I've actually grown fond of my matte black 7 - it's become my favorite form factor in many generations. The X would not do any of the things I use my phone for materially better than the 7 does, while the AW LTE is a significant leap forward. Besides the fact that it has become my primary running watch, I just like the fact that I can leave my phone behind in many situations. Watch the world around you for a few days. Nearly everywhere we go in public nearly everyone is buried in their phones. Often we are using them for no real reason other than they are in our pocket and it's habit to pull them out. The watch helps break that habit, and I like that.
Excellent! It’s amazing how distracted people have become and would rather immerse themselves somewhere other than where they’re at

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Someone recently posted a thread on this, stating how having your AW is reminiscent of a simpler time. The temptation to get distracted on your phone after receiving a simple notification is too high. Would much rather prefer to check with the simplicity of a watch, and then continue with whatever it is that I was doing.

Personally feel that people are far too immersed in their mobiles.

Last edited:

kevinbeared

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
I want to do the same, but if somebody confirms me that all the bug i have from my series 0 are fixed with the last version.... I have roughly 50% of iMessage notification, sometimes i miss call because it just doesn't ring on my watch...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I want to do the same, but if somebody confirms me that all the bug i have from my series 0 are fixed with the last version.... I have roughly 50% of iMessage notification, sometimes i miss call because it just doesn't ring on my watch...
I’ve got a Series 3 (GPS only) and I’ve yet to miss a notification or call. In fact, I get more now because it’s hard to miss on my wrist whereas I used to miss some because I didn’t feel or hear my iPhone going off.

The Series 3 is my favorite Apple device, bar none. It works incredibly well when I need it and I don’t realize it’s there when I don’t.

As far as the OP’s question, when I’m at work for 10+ hours I only pull my phone out to write up a quick email. It stays in my pocket for most of the day and that helps me be more productive. When I’m at home I’m more there with my family and kids. I have no issue leaving the phone in my bedroom. It really is freeing.

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca

The OP never said it was a smartphone replacement, he stated he is now using his phone LESS. The key word there is LESS.
[doublepost=1509378743][/doublepost]
I got both as well.

I see them complementing each other. I don't think I'll even turn on LTE.
Well why even get the LTE version :-/

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
Valid reason
And for running.

Since you agree it won't replace the phone, having the best phone with the best camera will serve me well.

I think it's great we can have the best of both world, we can ditch the phone when we want to and we can also have the best phone when we need it. Life is great.

Reactions: andresandiego

wxnats

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Northern Virginia
Yes, I decided to wait until next year (or later) to upgrade my phone. I purchased the AW3 SS instead; happy with my 7 Plus and happier that my bill won’t increase had I purchased an X.

Reactions: andresandiego

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I did this as well.

Not because I don't want the iPhone X (I really do, can't wait to upgrade from my 6S), but we made some bigger purchases this year so the cost of the AWS3 was more palatable than the iPhone X. Plus, it was about time to upgrade from the original AW.

Will wait for next year's iPhone X follow-up to upgrade my phone.

Senfinger

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
Purchased the AW3LTE and an 8. Not impressed with the 10- and feel that they will be making hardware changes to the next year version/variation.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I too decided to hold off on the iPhone X, having recently gotten a S3 SBSS watch, like I could get the X any time soon anyway! Had a AW2 in silver SS, and now the S3. Will likely get the hydrogen fuel cell model when it comes out too..... :cool: