All iPads Anybody getting both an iPad Air and a Mini Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jinzen, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Instead of being completely raped by Apple's pricing profits, I just decided to get an iPad Air for $459 (16gb base model), and an iPad Mini Retina ($529, 16gb + LTE).

The Mini will go with me everywhere, and the Air will be bag/at work/on the couch.

I pay a little more than $1K after tax for two fully capable new iPads (one I won't be putting too much stuff on), instead of nearly $800 for one 32gb iPad Air w/ LTE.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. I have an Air and mini now (previously iPad 3 and mini). I will upgrade to rMini when it's released. I use mine exactly opposite of how you use yours though. My Air is my "work" tablet and goes w/ me daily and my mini is my home tablet which I use mostly as an in bed reader and remote control.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I have the same plan. Using my iPad Air 16GB WI-FI at home and using an iPad Mini Retina 16GB Cellular for the car and travel.

4. Dr-AL macrumors newbie

I upgraded my iPad 2 to an air for home use. Kids have taken it over more less though and then have an iPad mini with cellular for work. Don't plan on upgrading the mini though. Don't need the A7 or the retina display. But yes I see the point in having both.

5. bizzy045, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

I am. Got the 64 GB iPad Air (Wifi) and and getting a retina iPad mini (torn between cellular and no cellular). I have free hotspot on my phone, so can always connect, but the whole gps thing which I don't even know is a real issue or not.

I have had the LTE version of every iPad except the Air, and never used the cellular. Not once. Always just used my phones hotspot which is LTE. So can't justify getting it, but really want it for some strange reason. Gotta get the wife on board with cellular. She thinks it's a complete waste with hotspot.

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I plan on getting the LTE version. With the small size of the Mini, I may be using the GPS more often while traveling.

7. jateelover macrumors member

I get the full size (in this case the Air), and wife gets a mini. She prefers the mini most of the time, but when i want I take the mini for reading on the train or something, and she still has the Air.

8. Macalway macrumors 68000

Yeah I'll get the Mini and I have an Air

My excuse is that ..... Well I'll think of one eventually :)

9. jeme macrumors regular

Yea, I am getting both, had both old ones, I did get a 128GB Air Cellular and will probably get a 64GB or 32GB Mini cellular.

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I was going to but will just keep the air for now. Between my iPhone Mac and air I can't seem to justify another device at the moment

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I have both now... I don't know if I can justify both. The mini's screen is amazing. Whereas the Air had some trouble with screen issues.

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I couldn't resist. I saw an employee installing one on a kiosk at BB and he said they just got some in. Sold!

I am not keeping both. This will be a VERY TOUGH decision. Damn you Apple!!

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

Both

One for when I'm a weakling, the other for when I'm more of a weakling

14. cole01 macrumors 6502

I wish! I'll be getting an Air and just keeping my first generation Mini as it's been the best tablet I've owned thus far! :apple:

15. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I pulled the trigger on the Air due to it coming out first. I originally wanted the mini retina. I ordered online and just picked it up. 32gb white. Apple told me I have until 1/7 to return for full refund. One of these is going back. My 32 space Air is a damn fine device.

16. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I find this odd as it says that I have until 1/7/2014 to return the device even though their return policy says only 14 days. Anyone have any idea why?

17. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Holiday returns differ the status quo.

18. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Got iPad Air, just ordered Mini Retina this morning.

19. Mosi macrumors regular

Does the holiday return policy apply to online store and iPads purchased at brick and mortar stores?

20. Mosi macrumors regular

After a few weeks of availability, I finally decided to check out the iPad Air yesterday in person and after about an hour of going back and forth I walked out with a black 32gb wifi. I just couldn't get over how light it was. I was overdue for an upgrade from my iPad 3.

Naturally the day after I buy the air, the retina mini hits today. I had always thought I was dead set on the mini but after seeing and holding the Air I am now conflicted. So today I checked online and could pick up a retina mini at the Arlington Apple store so I went and picked it up and am writing this post on it right now.

I can genuinely say that I don't know what I am going to do now. I want to keep both of them but don't think I can really justify keeping both. They are basically the same device except for the screen size.

21. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I ordered online and picked up in store. That's the date I was told, so I'm willing to say yes to you.

22. Mosi macrumors regular

Yeah I actually went back and looked at my in store receipt from yesterday and it says return date of November 25th so guess not.

23. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Call and ask, man. I doubt the receipt verbiage changes for holidays. Most stores extend the returns around Xmas.

24. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I have both in hand right now and planning on keeping both. Although I have to exchange my mini retina because of a few screen issues.

25. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Currently have a 32GB Verizon Air (Space). Just ordered a 32GB Verizon Mini (Space).

Planning on keeping both. Will most likely sell off the one I use the least over the next 6 months or so.