Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jclok

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
It is. I have zero issues with my Windows laptop from work. I had also tried a VAIO and didn't have any issues with that one either.
Many work laptops can be 6 bit panels which are easier on the eyes, but usually have washed out colors. Are you able to determine if you have a 6+2FRC panel or 8 bit?

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Oh yeah!

total-recall-eyes.jpg

Reactions: donatas_s

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Many work laptops can be 6 bit panels which are easier on the eyes, but usually have washed out colors. Are you able to determine if you have a 6+2FRC panel or 8 bit?
How do I do that? It's a Dell XPS 13 with touchscreen, approx 3 years old. It's running Windows 10.

The VAIO I tried was this one.

Both laptops have matte-finish display, just amazing easy on the eyes.

In contrast, I open the MBA and I feel like I entered a room with strobe lights flashing.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for the Notebook Check link. They've reviewed iPads and iPhones, too, letting people check the amount of flickering on other devices as well.

Glad to see PWM explained there. (It's like a buzzword around here that, if you're not in the know, sounds like something mysterious and highly technical and some advanced engineered screen design.)

In fact, though, PWM or pulse width modulation is something basic, albeit a seemingly odd approach. Namely, when you dim the screen, the device rapidly turns the screen's brightness on and off instead of directly reducing it! That rapid on-off makes the screen flicker. No wonder some or even many people are afflicted with eye strain, headaches, etc. when using flickering displays.

It can even happen above the 50% brightness level. It's refreshing to see their technical measurements of the PWM and screen flickering. They also explain how certain levels may only affect a few people.

The M1 MBA has it; the M2 does not. Could be a huge difference if you have sensitive eyes.

Alas, they haven’t measured the iPad 9!

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Thanks for the Notebook Check link. They've reviewed iPads and iPhones, too, letting people check the amount of flickering on other devices as well.

Glad to see PWM explained there. (It's like a buzzword around here that, if you're not in the know, sounds like something mysterious and highly technical and some advanced engineered screen design.)

In fact, though, PWM or pulse width modulation is something basic, albeit a seemingly odd approach. Namely, when you dim the screen, the device rapidly turns the screen's brightness on and off instead of directly reducing it! That rapid on-off makes the screen flicker. No wonder some or even many people are afflicted with eye strain, headaches, etc. when using flickering displays.

It can even happen above the 50% brightness level. It's refreshing to see their technical measurements of the PWM and screen flickering. They also explain how certain levels may only affect a few people.

The M1 MBA has it; the M2 does not. Could be a huge difference if you have sensitive eyes.

Alas, they haven’t measured the iPad 9!
Great news about the MacBook Air M2. 👍 Had no idea.

I'm torn between MacBook and iPad, but if it's going to be a MacBook, it's going to be the Air M2. Love that they brought back MagSafe too.

Zeloota

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2022
Just bought a new m1 macbook air, and I'm having this issue.

Ironically, I turned the brightness all the way down to less than 50%, and the screen still feels as a burning sun to me. I never has this issue on my 2019 macbook air and I even have an app which can block a lot of blue lights.

I found some specs comparions from google, it seems apple didn't change much about macbook air's screens, but what made such a huge difference between 2019 and 2020 models?

I am leaning to return this one and order a m2 air even though at first I don't think I need the extra features of the m2. Anyone has experience with m2's screen?

Reactions: jm31828

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Just bought a new m1 macbook air, and I'm having this issue. Ironically, I turned the brightness all the way down to less than 50%, the screen still feels as a burning sun to me. I never has this issue on my 2019 macbook air and I even have an app which can block a lot of blue lights. I found some specs comparions from google, it seems apple didn't change much about macbook air's screens, but what made such hug difference? I am leaning to return this one and order a m2 air even though at first I don't think I need the extra features of m2. Anyone has experience with m2's screen?
I started having problems with all screens with the switch to M processors. However, as they say, YMMV. So try various machines and see if one works for you. Fortunately I have an Apple store nearby and I get to play with these often. In my case, I have a feeling it is due to temporal dithering. If I look at a solid black line, it looks as if it's constantly changing different shades of gray. If I pay close attention to text, it looks like the letters are moving. I don't have either of these problems with Windows.

Reactions: jm31828 and idktbh

Zeloota

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2022
I started having problems with all screens with the switch to M processors. However, as they say, YMMV. So try various machines and see if one works for you. Fortunately I have an Apple store nearby and I get to play with these often. In my case, I have a feeling it is due to temporal dithering. If I look at a solid black line, it looks as if it's constantly changing different shades of gray. If I pay close attention to text, it looks like the letters are moving. I don't have either of these problems with Windows.
I agree it's very hard to focus on text.

I have made some changes: change color profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, disable true tone, adjust reslotion to Medium Text (larger texts). I found these make the screen not that uncomfortable to me.

Reactions: jm31828

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Here's what I did to remove the eye strain:

1. I got a matte screen protector for the display. It helped reduce the reflection.
2. In System Preference, under Display, I changed the Resolution to "Scale" set to "more space".
3. In System Preference, under Accessibility, in Display, I selected "Reduce motion" and "Increase contrast"

The eye strain went away

Reactions: Isamilis

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Here's what I did to remove the eye strain:

1. I got a matte screen protector for the display. It helped reduce the reflection.
2. In System Preference, under Display, I changed the Resolution to "Scale" set to "more space".
3. In System Preference, under Accessibility, in Display, I selected "Reduce motion" and "Increase contrast"

The eye strain went away
Which screen protector did you get? Is it the one Apple sells?

Karut

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2022
I have seen this as well, MBA M2 seams to be free from any flicker, except reflections. Could someone for sure confirm that this issue of eye strain has been solved by M2 completely ?
There are numerous people who report eyestrain on the MBA M2, it's all but solved. Notebookcheck used insufficient means to measure flickering.

Reactions: idktbh

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
There are numerous people who report eyestrain on the MBA M2, it's all but solved. Notebookcheck used insufficient means to measure flickering.
Yeah it still bothers me. I’m not sure what’s going on with the measurements.

RiverOak

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2016
Couldn't it be that the eye strain is caused by something other than PWM flicker such as dithering?

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Well according to this they are using an 8 bit + FRC display not a true 10 bit display in the new M1 Pro/Max models. Curious how people get on with this.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I am curious about this- how can I tell for sure if the display is the same on the M1 MacBook Air- being an 8bit + FRC display instead of a true 10 bit?

Notebookcheck states no temporal dithering was detected on the M1 Air, but I am doubtful as it has the P3 wide color gamut, so it doesn't make sense why this display would somehow be 10 bit but the Pro is not?

The Air makes my eyes feel dry/watery within minutes- something I don't feel when using a much older 2015 MacBook Air, or an iPad 10th generation that is sRGB only (so no temporal dithering, and of course no PWM).

I really like this device, but frustratingly it is probably not great to be looking at a display that makes my eyes feel this way, so I will probably have to return it before my return window closes.

Reactions: ghanwani

Jclok

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I am curious about this- how can I tell for sure if the display is the same on the M1 MacBook Air- being an 8bit + FRC display instead of a true 10 bit?

Notebookcheck states no temporal dithering was detected on the M1 Air, but I am doubtful as it has the P3 wide color gamut, so it doesn't make sense why this display would somehow be 10 bit but the Pro is not?

The Air makes my eyes feel dry/watery within minutes- something I don't feel when using a much older 2015 MacBook Air, or an iPad 10th generation that is sRGB only (so no temporal dithering, and of course no PWM).

I really like this device, but frustratingly it is probably not great to be looking at a display that makes my eyes feel this way, so I will probably have to return it before my return window closes.
Not only do the newer Apple laptops make me feel as if I can’t concentrate on the screen, their recent iPads are also causing issues. What’s sad is that I can’t update my old iPad because IOS versions past 14.8 changed something that causes the same feeling for me. I have two iPads and can A/B them and it’s very noticeable.

It’s quite sad knowing that sooner or later, I will be completely out of the ecosystem.

By the way, I agree with your P3 assessment. An 8 bit panel can’t display that natively. I would be extremely surprised if Apple is actually using 10 bit panels in their laptops. I doubt they are.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Not only do the newer Apple laptops make me feel as if I can’t concentrate on the screen, their recent iPads are also causing issues. What’s sad is that I can’t update my old iPad because IOS versions past 14.8 changed something that causes the same feeling for me. I have two iPads and can A/B them and it’s very noticeable.

It’s quite sad knowing that sooner or later, I will be completely out of the ecosystem.

By the way, I agree with your P3 assessment. An 8 bit panel can’t display that natively. I would be extremely surprised if Apple is actually using 10 bit panels in their laptops. I doubt they are.
So sorry to hear about your situation. :(
I wonder if it was the newer OS versions that started using temporal dithering, at least on certain devices?

It's really a shame because I REALLY like the MacBook Air M1 that I had just picked up, and I got it for a good price ($799).
It's not bad- I don't get headaches or pain in my eyes- it's really just that dry, slightly watery feeling after more than a few minutes of use.... I think I will try it out for a few more days and will return it if things don't get better (I have about ten more days until my return window closes).

Reactions: ghanwani

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Just bought a new m1 macbook air, and I'm having this issue.

Ironically, I turned the brightness all the way down to less than 50%, and the screen still feels as a burning sun to me. I never has this issue on my 2019 macbook air and I even have an app which can block a lot of blue lights.

I found some specs comparions from google, it seems apple didn't change much about macbook air's screens, but what made such a huge difference between 2019 and 2020 models?

I am leaning to return this one and order a m2 air even though at first I don't think I need the extra features of the m2. Anyone has experience with m2's screen?
Did you end up ordering the M2 air? If so, how was it- any better for you than the M1?

I'm in a similar boat- I bought an M1 (on sale for $799), and really like it- but it does cause my eyes to feel really dry almost immediately when looking at the screen. I know the M1 has PWM flicker at all brightness levels <50%, and there is speculation that it has temporal dithering as well- though Notebookcheck.net's testing finds none.

The M2 has no PWM, and again Notebookcheck finds no temporal dithering on it either- so in theory it should be easier on the eyes for more people. I would be really curious how it went for you!

The M2 is on sale right now at Costco for $999, I am tempted to pick it up to test out, as it is so hard to really get a feel for this in store with the bright lighting.

flomaster

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2023
Hi everyone.

I haven't seen mentioning ProMotion in this thread. Maybe it's worth to also disable it? Here a guy says disabling ProMotion on iPhone 13 pro solved his eye strain problems.

Also, how do you change color profile? On my MB Pro 16 M1 the brightness is locked when non-default profile is selected, as described here. Not only the brightness is locked, but also Night Shift and True Tone become unavailable when I change color profile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.