iPad Anybody going naked with the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snarestud940, Oct 15, 2012.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

After having an iPad 2, and the new iPad since March, I've always kept mine covered in a case. Whether it be a smart cover and a back skin, or an actual folio case. Since I just got my iPhone, I've decided to take my iPad out of it's case and use it naked. I cannot tell you how much more beautiful it feels.

Anybody else rocking the iPad naked? My only fear is that I may drop it, but so far I am taking very good care of it.

2. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Man, when I first read the title of this thread... Well, I thought of something different.

Myself, after having a shattered screen because I had to reach for my son as he fell, and that took priority over trying to catch my iPad, mine stays all dressed up. Three layers of dressed up, in fact. I have an Incipio back shell, then a slip-on folio case, and finally a padded sleeve with a shoulder strap for when I'm out and about. Overkill? Maybe. But I really never want to see a shattered screen again...

3. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I go to bed naked every night with my iPad. Granted, it stays in its Yoobao case at all times. :D

4. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I tried going naked with my iPad but it is slippery and you get tired hunting for something to sit in on to prevent scratches. They make very thin shells to bulky rubber and leather cases so everyone has a choice.

The barely there is my favorite for one of my two iPads, it adds so little, you forget it is there.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

I hate cases they add bulk and cheapness.

Only smartcover for me.

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Hunting for something to sit it on? Give me a break. I've and all three iPads. Never had a case. Set it on coffee table, end table, counter, desk or dining room table. No scratches.

I do use a smartcover and/or a padded zipper pouch for the rare occasion when I take it out of the apartment. But for just using around the house, a case is not needed.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This is what I do as well. I never had a case for use around the house for either of my two iPads, but i use a neoprene sleeve when I take it out of the house.

Sometimes I use the sleeve as a cushion when I put down the iPad, but often it just sits on the nearest flat surface.

8. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

What ever floats your boat but the Barely There shell has a rubbery feel and make holding mine much nicer.

My table next to my chair is made out of slate and it WILL scratch the back of the aluminum.:p

9. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I rock mine naked unless I leave the house then I'll pop it into its bulky case. I am usually paranoid about all my products having a case of some kind but with this ipad I just don't feel the need. Its pretty sturdy IMO. I may put a back case on it eventually but I haven't found anything I truly like, yet.

10. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Right now I just have a skin on it. if I decide to take it out of the house then I will put it in a case, otherwise skin only.

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I use a Grabbit case because the leather hand strap makes it easy to hold one handed. Have a cheapo screen protector due to the environment I use this in, so far it's held up great.

Ergonomic nightmare using these without a case, at least for me it is.

12. RestUnknown macrumors regular

Had a back case for about 6 months, but removed it because it feels much better without it. It's getting scratches at the back but I really don't care anymore, as long the screen stays safe with the smart cover it's all good.

13. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Will be using mine down the gym, so it will be resting on a X-trainer or bike or treadmill stand so need a rubberized back to give it some extra friction grip, also while using it at my desk at work I prefer if the far side is slightly raised as this aids the typing experience.

And anyway its going to cost £300-£400 pounds so of course I will want to protect it, what costing that sort of money wouldn't a right minded person want to protect?

So I will be hunting for a case!

14. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Never had a case for it, but I keep it at home. If you keep it at home, I don't see why you would sacrifice the feel of the original device for a bulky case. Be free. Be free.

15. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Eww, I'd definitely use a case at the gym, people don't wipe the equipment down after they use it :eek:

The original iPad I had a back skin, iPad 2 I used a smart cover and a crappy sleeve. The current iPad I use naked, but have a nice fitted leather sleeve as I throw it in my hand bag with other crap flying around.

Oh and always a screen protector.

16. R3104D macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking forward to contribute to the forum.

Anyways, I feel that the iPad is beautiful. I love how light and thin it is, and I feel that cases take away these features. But I still need some kind of protection. I've been rocking a leather skin for a few months, and so far I love it. Not only does it keep the thin and light, but I think the look is consistent to the high end feel of the iPad.

17. yegon macrumors 68020

Naked (with smart cover) like all my iPhones (bar occasional Mophie Juice Pack usage). Always still in good nick when I come to sell them.

18. dancj macrumors 6502

I used to keep my iPad with just a SmartCover figuring that it was made of metal so it should be relatively tough. The problem is I take it with me everywhere and let my three-year-old use it.

After a couple of months the corners had become a bit battered and misshapen.

Luckily (sort of) I had to exchange it for an unrelated issue, so now with my new one I've picked up a £5 silicone case from Amazon which makes it weigh a ton, but keeps it well protected.

19. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Exactly this for me. Mine comes with me to work every day, use it for the commute and on lunches and just use it naked but put it in a neoprene sleeve for when its not being used.

20. jbpribanic macrumors newbie

One-of-a-kind iPad cases

I think the smart cover case also looks cheap... I'm using http://bgdada.com/bgdada/Ipad_Cases.html —*easily the best case I've ever seen or used with an iPad.

21. Bakari45 macrumors regular

Also naked with Smart Cover. Actually though, I can't grip it well without the Smart Cover.

22. sara1027 macrumors newbie

That is up to you. If you are willing to let your ipad at the risk of dropping. haha

But then again, let iPad naked, that is not a wisdom decision. iPad is fragile. Give iPad protection is quite necessary. I have purchased this iPad bumper case http://www.eva-product.com/Soft-Grip-iPad-4-Foam-Case-302.html check out this link for my iPad case.

23. davey1107 macrumors newbie

always in a case...

It's not just an issue of dropping an iPad, even carrying it in a bag where keys, or a paperclip or a loose staple rubs either the front or back can cause visible damage to the display or aluminum case.

I'm a big fan of Apple, so in no way am I saying this is a problem with the device, just a reality. And take a look at used iPad pricing on Amazon...even mention of a scratch on the rear or, gosh forbid, a display scratch will reduce the value by 25-40% over a mint unit.

So...wanting to resell my $600 32 gb wifi for around $500 when I'm ready to upgrade, my iPad lives its life happily in a super slim silicone case I got for $5.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

I am for now...that's cause it never leaves my home.

25. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

There is a difference in USING a device without a case and CARRYING a device without a case. I use my iPad with a smart cover only, period. I carry it in a Waterfield sleeve in either a Crumpler backpack or Timbuk2 small messenger.

I think you need something to carry it in, but there's no reason to wrap a bunch of crap around it.