Anybody Have a Leopard upgrade cd?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by espo774, Jul 24, 2010.

1. espo774 macrumors newbie

just bought an iphone 4, finally could afford upgrading to one...went home and plugged it in to itunes, and now i find out i cannot sync it with my computer because I am running osx tiger, and leopard is required. Geez, i dont really have $150+ to go buy the new OS. Does anyone have a leopard disc they can lend me? thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think such "sharing" is illegal. If you're on an Intel machine just buy Snow Leopard for $29. It WILL upgrade your Tiger machine, despite what the box says.

3. espo774 thread starter macrumors newbie

really? are you positive? everyone at the store said I would need leopard before i can install snow leopard, unless i buy the box set for 170. I am running osx 10.4.11 with 2GHz intel core 2 duo with 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Very positive, I've done it myself. The only thing that's stopping you is the need for an Intel based machine. Other then that you're good to go.

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

No, Intell is right, as long as your mac is running an intel cpu, the $29 snow leopard cd WILL upgrade your computer.

Here come the macrumor moral police saying it's morally wrong, because it violates the EULA, which is technically true, but your morality is none of our business, just stating facts.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do now see that you're running with just 1Gb of RAM. SL might run a bit slow on there. If you can spare about $20-$40 you should upgrade it to 2Gb. If you are good with computers you can upgrade your Mini yourself. Else, you'll have to visit an "Authorized Apple Service Centre" or Apple Store to have it done. I don't know how much a RAM swap is if you bring your own.

7. espo774 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would upgrade the ram. where should I get it? and how hard is the install? will I lose any files or anything?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9. espo774 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. espo774 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok awesome. what brand of ram would you recommend? does it have to be OEM apple? can i buy used off of ebay? does it lose performance if i buy used? thanks in advance for all your help

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Buy the kind listed above. It's the cheapest yet most reliable. Buying used ram has no affect on performance. If you would rather buy used ram from eBay let me know and I'll go find some from you.

13. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

To op I had to upgrade to leopard myself and i can confirm the 29$ retail cd does upgrade from tiger with no problems. It took about 45 minutes but it works fine and i was able to sync my iphone4.

I had tiger 10.4 and upgraded to the latest leopard!!

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

15. espo774 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Shipping from US only? Buy-it-Now or Bidding?

17. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

OP, Click the Apple logo, About This Mac, and post the processor speed. Then click More Info, Under Hardware click Memory and tell us if you are using both slots or only 1.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do wish that people would READ THE WHOLE THREAD before just posting. It really helps.

If it's the default from Apple it's two sticks of 512MB.

19. espo774 thread starter macrumors newbie

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That looks like it'll work.

21. espo774 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok ill email him. thanks for all your help intell. what is your email, if i have any more questions...if you dont mind

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

except sometimes PC ram doesn't work with macs, OP make sure you install the ram at the location to verify it works.

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is not true. It is all the same for Intel based Macs. PowerPC Macs had this problem.

24. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as OP about the leopard. EXCEPT I have a PPC iBook so I have to find a leopard disk on eBay or something :(