Anybody have a Magic Keyboard that doesn't have misaligned keys?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JTToft, Jan 29, 2016.

1. JTToft, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

As per the title. Does anybody have a Magic Keyboard on which the up and down arrows are not misaligned relative to each other? (It's useful if people whose keys are misaligned also answer.)

Thanks.

FullSizeRender.jpg

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I never looked - from the photo, that "misalignment" seems too small to even go looking for, let alone worry about.

3. JTToft, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- Thanks for the response. It bothers me a bit. I didn't go looking for it, strictly (alright, maybe a little since I had read about it prior to getting the keyboard); it's quite apparent from just glancing over the keys - to me at least.

From what I've read so far, it seems to be a pretty consistent manufacturing fault. Which is why I wanted to know if anyone had gotten one that was out of the ordinary in that regard.

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

[Edited for hyperbole.]

4. dwfaust, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Clearly a first world problem. As an old guy who took "typing" in high school (way back when), I rarely even look at the keyboard when I type... and so what is or isn't on the keys, or how the text is or isn't perfectly aligned doesn't bother me much. In fact, I don't even see it.

But it appears to be "the way it is", and from what I've read, they're all that way... so there doesn't seem to be many options or alternatives to rectify the situation.

5. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I checked mine, and yes it's slightly misaligned but it's never been an issue with me clearly.

6. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

CDO. Because the letters should be in alphabetical order, damnit.

7. Osamede macrumors 6502

I have the same problem on my wired keyboard.

I must say though, overall the wireless keyboard feels much better ergonomically, at least to me as a laptop user. I dont bother with the wired one.

8. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

OCD to the extreme, this the first time I have seen anyone complaining about this. Every key moves ever so slightly and you could say they were all out of alignment with each other if you were so inclined. If you wanted even smaller manufacturing tolerances (and they are tiny already) then you would have to pay an awful lot more.

Relax.

9. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I looked at the magic keyboard and noticed I have to clean it. :eek::) Seriously it's misaligned but it doesn't bother me a bit, plus I use the right and left arrows more than I do the up and down arrow keys.

10. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

11. JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- Have there been new models?

It's stopped bothering me now, but I'd still take an exchange for one that isn't misaligned if offered.

12. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

I've talked with the Apple customer service, they don't know about new models etc

They told me to go into a reseller and ask for a change; if the new keyboard has the same issue i have to contact them back

I'll keep you updated

13. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

IMO, life is already too short.

14. tjlazer macrumors member

15. JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- That isn't a Magic Keyboard.

16. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I have the magic keyboard and although I didn't notice it before, it does seem to have misaligned keys. Therefore this may be normal, possibly due to the altered, thinner key mechanism?

17. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

I would personally blame the production process, not the mechanism

18. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Yes so would i if it is a fault but I meant it may have been an intentional design alteration to accommodate the new mechanism. I haven't taken it apart, so I wouldn't know - it may be the production as you say.

19. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

Update

Apple agreed to replace my keyboard, hopefully the new one won't have that issue

20. Appleaker macrumors 68000

It doesn't bother me a great deal but please tell us if the replacement has the same fault when you get it.

21. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

Ok, just got the replacement keyboard. I would not say it's 100% aligned, but it does look better indeed

[​IMG]

Another thing i noticed it that buttons seems to be harder, i would say atleast 30%

That is something i was not expecting, i'd rather have them softer

22. JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

Looks better than mine.

Do you mean the keys are harder than your previous Magic Keyboard, or are you comparing with the earlier Wireless Keyboard that another user posted a picture of?

23. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

You will see by my earlier post in the thread that I thought complaining about this was a step too far. So you'll have to forgive me for laughing at you because you gambled and it didn't pay off.

24. Razer(x) macrumors regular

Razer(x)

Yes they are definitely harder than the previous Magic Keyboard, wondering if Apple did it on purpose. Softer key buttons where fine, but i'm accustomed already to the new keyboard

I laugh at you because your posts are useless and nonsense.

Gambling? i got a new keyboard for free with a fixed issue. If you're ok paying 120$ for a keyboard with issues that is your problem. To me 120$ is a LOT of money, especially for a keyboard, and i want it to be perfect

25. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

By your own admission it's not fixed.

But now you have to deal with another problem...

I wouldn't consider either these things a problem, but considering you do that's called gambling and losing.

If you're going to complain about the cost of Apple equipment then you probably shouldn't be buying Apple equipment, everybody knows it's at a price premium. I presume you knew you could buy something similar from a different manufacturer at a lower cost.