Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
As per the title. Does anybody have a Magic Keyboard on which the up and down arrows are not misaligned relative to each other? (It's useful if people whose keys are misaligned also answer.)

Thanks.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I never looked - from the photo, that "misalignment" seems too small to even go looking for, let alone worry about.
- Thanks for the response. It bothers me a bit. I didn't go looking for it, strictly (alright, maybe a little since I had read about it prior to getting the keyboard); it's quite apparent from just glancing over the keys - to me at least.

From what I've read so far, it seems to be a pretty consistent manufacturing fault. Which is why I wanted to know if anyone had gotten one that was out of the ordinary in that regard.

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

[Edited for hyperbole.]

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Clearly a first world problem. As an old guy who took "typing" in high school (way back when), I rarely even look at the keyboard when I type... and so what is or isn't on the keys, or how the text is or isn't perfectly aligned doesn't bother me much. In fact, I don't even see it.

But it appears to be "the way it is", and from what I've read, they're all that way... so there doesn't seem to be many options or alternatives to rectify the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordanneo

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I have the same problem on my wired keyboard.

I must say though, overall the wireless keyboard feels much better ergonomically, at least to me as a laptop user. I dont bother with the wired one.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
OCD to the extreme, this the first time I have seen anyone complaining about this. Every key moves ever so slightly and you could say they were all out of alignment with each other if you were so inclined. If you wanted even smaller manufacturing tolerances (and they are tiny already) then you would have to pay an awful lot more.

Relax.

Reactions: satcomer

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I looked at the magic keyboard and noticed I have to clean it. :eek::) Seriously it's misaligned but it doesn't bother me a bit, plus I use the right and left arrows more than I do the up and down arrow keys.

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
- Have there been new models?

It's stopped bothering me now, but I'd still take an exchange for one that isn't misaligned if offered.

I've talked with the Apple customer service, they don't know about new models etc

They told me to go into a reseller and ask for a change; if the new keyboard has the same issue i have to contact them back

I'll keep you updated

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I have the magic keyboard and although I didn't notice it before, it does seem to have misaligned keys. Therefore this may be normal, possibly due to the altered, thinner key mechanism?

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
I have the magic keyboard and although I didn't notice it before, it does seem to have misaligned keys. Therefore this may be normal, possibly due to the altered, thinner key mechanism?

I would personally blame the production process, not the mechanism

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I would personally blame the production process, not the mechanism
Yes so would i if it is a fault but I meant it may have been an intentional design alteration to accommodate the new mechanism. I haven't taken it apart, so I wouldn't know - it may be the production as you say.

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
Update

Apple agreed to replace my keyboard, hopefully the new one won't have that issue

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
Ok, just got the replacement keyboard. I would not say it's 100% aligned, but it does look better indeed

Another thing i noticed it that buttons seems to be harder, i would say atleast 30%

That is something i was not expecting, i'd rather have them softer

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Looks better than mine.

Do you mean the keys are harder than your previous Magic Keyboard, or are you comparing with the earlier Wireless Keyboard that another user posted a picture of?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Ok, just got the replacement keyboard. I would not say it's 100% aligned, but it does look better indeed

Another thing i noticed it that buttons seems to be harder, i would say atleast 30%

You will see by my earlier post in the thread that I thought complaining about this was a step too far. So you'll have to forgive me for laughing at you because you gambled and it didn't pay off.

Reactions: Tomorrow

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
Looks better than mine.

Do you mean the keys are harder than your previous Magic Keyboard, or are you comparing with the earlier Wireless Keyboard that another user posted a picture of?

Yes they are definitely harder than the previous Magic Keyboard, wondering if Apple did it on purpose. Softer key buttons where fine, but i'm accustomed already to the new keyboard

You will see by my earlier post in the thread that I thought complaining about this was a step too far. So you'll have to forgive me for laughing at you because you gambled and it didn't pay off.

I laugh at you because your posts are useless and nonsense.

Gambling? i got a new keyboard for free with a fixed issue. If you're ok paying 120$ for a keyboard with issues that is your problem. To me 120$ is a LOT of money, especially for a keyboard, and i want it to be perfect

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Gambling? i got a new keyboard for free with a fixed issue. If you're ok paying 120$ for a keyboard with issues that is your problem. To me 120$ is a LOT of money, especially for a keyboard, and i want it to be perfect

By your own admission it's not fixed.

I would not say it's 100% aligned
But now you have to deal with another problem...

I wouldn't consider either these things a problem, but considering you do that's called gambling and losing.

If you're going to complain about the cost of Apple equipment then you probably shouldn't be buying Apple equipment, everybody knows it's at a price premium. I presume you knew you could buy something similar from a different manufacturer at a lower cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.