Anybody have performance problems with Yosemite & rMBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sekoitus, Oct 17, 2014.

1. sekoitus macrumors member

Hey,

For me, there's a noticeable difference in responsiveness between Mavericks and Yosemite.

This with the integrated Intel graphics card.

If I force the system to use the Nvidia card, everything becomes very smooth in Yosemite.

However, everything WAS very smooth using the integrated Intel card in Mavericks.

But now, in Yosemite, changing between spaces, opening Mission Control etc seem to lag a bit. It's not a lot, I think not everyone might notice it, but I do.

And between Intel and Nvidia there's in my opinion a noticeable difference in smoothness.

Is Yosemite just a more resource intensive OS?

2. blooperz macrumors 6502

I'm also noticing interface lag...changing between menus in preferences, mission control etc...never had this problem in mavericks hope they release a fix for it soon. It's really small but surprisingly annoying....

3. Cardsnk macrumors regular

Many have experienced this lag, mostly from rMBP 2012-early 2013 owners. We are also hopeful for a fix from apple.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

I haven't had any lag myself or noticed a difference between Mavericks and Yosemite. Mine is a mid '12 rMBP.

5. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Yes I've noticed this lag with my mid-2014 15"

I've also had a spinning beach ball when changing just settings, or when doing basic tasks like closing safari.

6. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

To add further, I really don't think this works at all well on my Mid 2014 rMBP. Frequent crashes, severe UI lag, bouncing apps in the dock, beachballs etc.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Nope no problems at all..

I also have a Mid '14 15" rMBP, and I did a dirty upgrade (cloned from my clone backup of my old mid 12 rMBP then upgraded in place)

Nr123*123. You may have some corruption that crept in.

It may be worth backing up your data and trying a clean install.

8. Lachhh macrumors regular

Try a clean install? That doesn't sound normal in the remotest - sounds like a bad installation to me.

9. aoaaron macrumors 6502

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Clean install from USB boot, format, restore from TM. Works great.

11. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Battery life seems normal. Appreciate the help and I think a clean install would help. But I really can't be bothered installing all of the apps, documents etc.

Oh and the WiFi also keeps dropping out. Glad to hear its not a system wide issue though, gives me hope that it can be resolved.

12. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Some users said that turning dashboard to "Off" in system preferences>mission control seems to help with mission control. You could try it out if you want to, not sure if it works.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

In that case, worth running through and clearing caches (Don't do this regularly I'm only recommending this because something is corrupted). Unfortunately Onyx isn't ready for Yosemite yet, however you could try cocktail.

You should only need to do that once.

14. Lachhh macrumors regular

Checking the "reduce transparency" checkbox in Accessibility Options should fix some UI glitches / delay for those experiencing them.

15. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I don't have any problem but (and that's probably a big one), I'm using an external monitor. I'll try the retina display and see if there's anything wrong then.

Mid-2012 rMBP.

16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I notice it as well. It is hilarious, as it is definitely an OS issue. The rMBP hardware is easily powerful to handle a the interface features without being laggy.

17. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

How do you do so that the MacBook uses the gpu only? Is it bad in some way to do that?

18. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Settings, energy preferences and click the box where it says automatic graphic switching. Just make sure it's not checked and it's will use the 650/750 all the time. It's not bad but your battery will die a lot faster.

19. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

Thanks. I guess i'll just leave it as it is since I feel that everything works good now

20. nudoru macrumors regular

I have a mid 2014 and don't have any issues. I had upgraded from Mavericks > public beta 5 > beta 6 > release. I'm expecting problems since I didn't do any "clean" Yosemite installs, but it's been 100% solid.

21. clarkm macrumors newbie

I am having major issues with the thunderbolt display and my 2014 macbook air. I know this is the wrong forum for mba but i am experiencing the same issue with yosemite. It sometimes takes up to a second to load all the windows when I activate mission control. Is there any fix for this problem?

22. plind macrumors newbie

I actually seem to have the opposite problem: Integrated works smoother than the AMD Radeon HD 6490M in my 15" Macbook, early 2011. Especially with an external monitor the performance is very bad.

23. dapvincent macrumors newbie

Yosemite Thunderbolt Laggy

Posted on the Apple forums as well: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6603823?searchText=yosemite%20laggy%20after%20installation

I am experiencing a similar problem and have done some pretty thorough debug to determine the problem. Unfortunately I believe a fix lies within the graphics card driver (so we will have to wait for a release from Apple).

I have a Macbook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011), 2GHz, 16GB 1333 Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256mb graphics card.

To be clear of my problem, the laptop operates normally standalone. As soon as I plug in to the Thunderbolt display, everything appears laggy (as if the driver isn't installed)

1) Permissions repair
    2) Reset PRAM and NVRAM
    3) Disabled energy saver so that the laptop is always running discrete graphics. When the laptop is not plugged into the Thunderbolt display, it operates normally (multiple 1080p videos, window dragging flawless). When plugged into Thunderbolt, the lag is apparent (dragging windows is jittery etc)

Then I brought it to the Apple store for some diagnosis with them
    4) Plugged in the store Thunderbolt display and lag appeared with the Genius
    - This tells me that it's not my Thunderbolt display
    5) Disabled startup items
    6) MRI hardware test all passed
    7) Booted into a copy of Mountain Lion. When plugged into the Thunderbolt display, the laptop responded normally (no lag, just like before Yosemite)
    - This tells me that there is nothing wrong with discrete graphic card in the laptop
    8) Ran the laptop in Target Disk Mode, chained it to a Macbook with a Nvidia discrete graphic card and the laptop responded normally.
    - This tells me that there is nothing wrong with my laptops startup configuration.
    - This also is a good indicator that it's a graphic driver issue.

I'm really running out of options on what to try. I'm thinking of hooking up an external HDD, installed Yosemite fresh on that, and she how it responds. At the moment, my diagnosis is that it's a problem with the AMD Radeon HD 6490M driver and the Thunderbolt driver. Unfortunately since the drivers are built into the OS, it seems a little difficult to reinstall or rollback a driver.

24. dapvincent macrumors newbie

Reducing transparency in Accessibility Options (System Preferences) seemed to have solved my issue.

25. saoir macrumors member

Found your post via Google. I posted this same Q on another forum here on MacRumours.
    Short story: 2007 iMac with 4Gb. Running Yosemite very well but only one glitch which is a stutter when entering MC and change Spaces. So glad it can't be just my old iMac.