Anybody having problems with ATT and texting on their iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by downingp, Jul 18, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I just switched over from Verizon in order to get an iPhone. I was pretty excited when I took my iPhone home and started playing around with it. I have noticed some problems though. First off, I don't think the coverage is as good as Verizon. I have already had more dropped calls with the iPhone than I ever did with Verizon.
    The main problem I am writing about is the text messaging. I don't seem to be receiving all of my text messages. It seems as though I will receive text messages fine and then every now and then I won't receive them at all. The people that are sending the texts keep wondering why I am not replying to their texts.

Is anyone else having problems with receiving texts? Is there something I can do?

Thanks.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, the War Department was having trouble receiving and sending text messages, b/c sometimes the text message never gets sent or never gets received until about 2-3 hours later when she's in an area where she's able to get more than two bars. AT&T recommends that you turn your iPhone off and then turn it on, anytime you make any changes or go through updates to your iPhone. At my house, VZ and Sprint are spotty and more dropped calls than AT&T, so I guess I'm the lucky one...:cool:

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

For the text messages, it just seams that Verizon hasn't shut off your number completely. Find out if all those whose messages aren't making it though are all on the same provider or if it is random.

As for coverage: The iPhone has a slightly reduced antenna power than other at&t phones. It is also easily susceptible to interference from thick walls or EM equipment, especially if on the 1900/2100 network, instead of the 800/850 network (which Verizon uses exclusively).

TEG

4. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mainly get text messages from my wife and she is on the Verizon network. Do I need to call Verizon or what do I need to do?

5. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not receiving my mail on my iphone with mobileme either, but I am assuming that is a mobileme problem. The mail shows up on me.com, I just don't get it on my iPhone.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm yet to utilize my mobileme account, since I seem to be happy with IMAP for my two .edu accounts and my gmail account. I'm waiting until my new MBA purchase in August. :cool:

7. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

At this point there is not much to utilize on mobileme. I am pretty disappointed in it. I would hold off on using mobileme for as long as you can or until apple gets everything working as it should

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Definitely call at&t first, they can deal with Verizon then. IF they can't do anything, then call Verizon or have your wife do it and they may be able to clear their system.

TEG

9. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I have called AT&T twice and Verizon to see what the problem could be with not being able to receive all of my messages. The first time AT&T was not much help. The second time, they confirmed that once the phone number is ported over from another carrier all the information is transferred to the new carrier (Verizon also confirmed this). During this second phone call, the rep also reset something on my phone from his computer to find the nearest towers to see if that would help receiving text messages. I was optimistic that when he reset my phone it would work. However, I am still not receiving all of my text messages.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks.

10. richard371 macrumors 68000

Its the phone.

I miss messages too. I had 5 bars tonight and no one was able to call me. This thing is a real POS.

11. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

did you port your number over from another carrier?

12. bigkito macrumors regular

having the same exact problem... I ported from tmobile

13. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

AT&T has told me it is a problem with the iPhone and not their service or the other carrier that we ported over from. I have a hard time believing there is a problem with the iPhone and not the service.

14. TUD macrumors regular

They are full of it! My ex-wife is experiencing the same issue with her AT&T Blackberry.

15. TJB627 macrumors newbie

This is not good news, I'm getting ready to port a number from Verizon. Is this happening to every former Verizon customer?

16. Carbonic macrumors regular

This is happening to me too. I ported my # from T-Mobile.

17. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to jinx myself, but last night I did a complete restore of the iPhone in iTunes. All of my text messages so far have been coming through today. I would like to think by restoring the iPhone it fixed whatever problems there may have been.
    Obviously, I will keep checking to make sure I am still receiving all of my messages, but as I said earlier, so far I have received all of my messages today.

Lets hope this fixed the problem

18. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it didn't last long. I was hoping the texting problem had been fixed but as the day went on, I started not receiving texts again.
    I guess its back to ground zero to figure out what is going on. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the traffic on the AT&T network. Earlier in the day everything worked fine, but later tonight, maybe when more phone calls are happening, I am not getting my messages. Just a thought.

Its anyone's guess at this point

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

20. rwwlaw macrumors newbie

noticed last night that I can not send to anyone not on att network! Switched recently to b2b1500 text plan so not sure if there is any relationship to that. Called AT&T twice and said that can not be the cause and my txt was working fine. I need this for business and hope it's temporary.

21. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I'm so sad to tell you...

I think your wife is downingp but it's not your p, buddy, that's why you're not getting texts from her. Just kidding!!

22. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this really called for???

23. wreckshop macrumors 6502

try turning 3G off. I have very poor 3G reception all of a sudden and when I turned it off I got flooded by a bunch of texts, most of them sent many hours earlier.

24. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will try turning 3G off for a couple of days and see if that helps. That would be sad if turning 3G off actually worked. Whats the point in have the new iPhone if I can't use 3G.

Thanks.

25. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called AT&T again to see if I could get some more info about why I am not able to receive all of my texts. Its hard to tell if I actually get correct information when I call into the representatives because they all seem to say something different. Anyway, this rep told me that AT&T is having problems all over the country with the AT&T data plan. She is aware of the problem with people not being able to send and receive text messages.
    She said she was looking at her screen and she could see areas all over the country that were having problems with the towers.

Just thought I would give an update.