Anybody here ditching television?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kildraik, Oct 3, 2018.

1. kildraik, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

So, I recently decided I'd like to make the jump from my old 2015 55" Samsung 9000 series to an OLED set. I listed it on LetGo, selling it for a cool $500 and moved along, however I didn't feel an immediate urge to purchase a new set after remembering how exhausted I was of the awful, unwholesome and vulgar direction in programming everything has seemed to take. I started looking at my living room, and for some reason I decided to invest in beautiful plants, somehow donated my tv stand, and filled that space with lush greens.

After about a three week detox from staring at a giant, backlit window, my quality of life began improving. I was always moving around, picking up new hobbies such as painting, diving deeper into my piano practice, reading books that I had bought but never opened, spending time in the mountains... Now two months later I have reflected on how much time I've wasted binge watching utter junk in the past, almost to the point of pitying my friends that continue to waste an unbelievable amount of time watching other people having fun or experiencing life, just as I had up until just two months ago.

I keep asking myself, "Am I missing out?"

"No," a voice continues to respond in the back of my head.

Netflix, Hulu, HBO, news... All GONE.

Truly independent thought, reborn.

My depression disappeared. I fell in love with sweating again. My mind no longer has a clouding fog. I rarely sit between 5am, when I now wake up with no alarm, to 11pm, when my body now tells me its time to go to sleep and somehow, with so many wholesome, fulfilling activities, I still feel like there's not enough time in the day. I somehow put down cigarettes and never picked them back up. I sleep like a rock. Mind blown. This never happened when I owned a television.

With my productivity through the roof, I'm blown away, and then I remember that word... "Programming." I was a reflection of countless junk (read: exceedingly popular) productions, no matter how funny, shocking, or twisted the programming became, as it continues to do. Now, much of what I can observe in others I can connect to what they inflate their minds with. It knots my stomach.

And I think of my friends, spending 4-6 hours a day in front of a television. I think of my family, my coworkers, my acquaintances... All seemingly willing to spend multiple hours filling their minds with fantasy and fiction, with little to no activity otherwise, outside of their careers and weekend drinking sprees. What kind of a quality of life is that?

What the hell is going on with this world?

Did I escape a life behind virtual bars?

Am I alone?

Can anybody relate to this? Has anybody gotten rid of their television, only to find that they're turning into the best version of themselves? Who else has their virtual reality glasses turned off, and how has it improved your lives? I'd like to hear from you.

2. Lioness~, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

Lioness~ macrumors 65816

I agree with you partly. But I think you actually CAN watch material that are streamed and on TV in an aware way, too.
    If you are an aware person, that is.

I don't have a TV, that much I don't watch. Actually never had watched that much.
    Not even when I had a TV, a fat TV ;)
    I see some movies, some sports events, and some series.
    That's it.

I work out most days. I meditate daily. Have amazing sleep too.
    And I see whatever I watch online as processing, activating and stimulate my sub-conconscious mind.
    I never have felt any depression from what I watched. Quite the opposite.

So I have the EyeTV app and watch some streamed series online on my iMac 27" ;)

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sorry, not giving up my stuff.

You may have arrived at a conclusion that works best for you and that's great for you. I'll keep my stuff, including my programming.

As far as sweating…I get that enough rolling around in Phoenix heat with a car that has broken A/C and windows that cannot be rolled down. Sweating is EXTREMELY overrated.

I understand the benefits of exercise - but I have never cared for it. Ever.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I rarely watch it, similar to you I have better things to do - particularly outside in the summer. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for screen time online, which is definitely worse since having an internet connected smartphone on me all the time :p I think honestly there’s just little being broadcast that interests me all that much. Big brother, love island, Made in Chelsea, Towie - what utter drivel. Even a lot of documentaries aren’t particularly compelling any more, poorly researched and presented. The exception is GoT which is still an amazing show, but then it’s almost more a film in TV format than anything.

5. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Kudos. I used to spend a lot less time in front of a screen when I lived near the beach.

Unfortunately, having moved to a place where outdoor activites are a lot more difficult to get to, i have been spending more recreational time in front of screens.

And my intake of sugar & salt have gone way up since moving(different thread)....which I need to fix.

6. kildraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

kildraik

I really appreciate you all sharing your experiences and perspectives, and I absolutely get we all have different lifestyles and interests. My post is really meant to engage, and so far so good!

I do still catch myself at times when regulating my screen time. Super important! I’ve started calling rather than messaging at times, and limiting my time perusing these forums. :p

Great points.

I can relate in that I moved from north Texas to the Rockies, and that seems to have been a game changer as an environmental influence. After being close to outdoor recreation, I have felt more grounded... Human... And inspired. It’s more comfortable to be outside, experiencing seasons, and taking a chilly jog when I wake up.

7. dwig macrumors 6502a

The wife & I moved to Key West FL from Dallas Tx a little over 14 years ago and left TV behind when we moved. Neither of us have missed it at all.

8. kildraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Awesome! How has the absence of a television enriched your life?

9. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Some people post about also "Not watching TV", but based on other threads where this has come up, they're not really "unplugging" like it sounds like you have, it usually means they're consuming media content (ex: streaming services like Hulu Netflix, physical media like DVD/BD), via something other than a device you find the Best Buy area labeled "Televisions" :D

That discussion of the definition of "television" aside, we still watch a decent amount of programming (nothing network, movies, lots of original content from HBO/Hulu/Netflix), yet, I still have plenty of time to have fun with my family, read, tinker with my car, surf/SUP, travel (dive for lobsters, hit up theme parks), train/workout, practice yoga, knockaround in new code tech, write an occasional article, play a board game ... you get it, we're not missing out of many life experiences.

There's some times when it's fun to get engaged with a terrific show, backburner other things, have fun discussing it, enjoy the craft of filmmaking, and like now it's Halloween, a favorite of ours, and while we'll spend lots of time getting the house ready, nothing beats a few scary movies to set the mood.

It's a small component of a very fulfilling life. :)

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

My wife and I have shared quite a few shows together since we married (Nov. '97). Some have had their run (Mad About You, Everybody Loves Raymond), others have been cut short (Raines, Life, Forever) and at least one is still ongoing (Big Bang Theory). It's fun to watch together.

And then she has her political shows while I have my scifi shows so there's that. It's great when a show grabs both of us though.

11. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Nice, yeah, we watch I'd say 90% of things together. In fact, I've even started a few things and stopped so she could catch up (Ozarks just recently for me, she did that with Harlots), we're watching The Sinner S2 (very highly recommended) and having a blast, make a couple of drinks, watch, talk.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

We diverge in some places of course. She was watching Dexter for a while, but that's just not anything I want to consume. That and paranormal stuff which she enjoys for some odd reason. :)

Unfortunately, there have been less shows over the last decade and some of those got cancelled too early. If I were to leave TV I wouldn't miss a lot of the currently more popular stuff.

I did find the Goldbergs though, but my wife does not watch with me. She was there in the 80s and as far as she is concerned it was the worst decade of her life so far. I enjoy it because I was 10 in 1980 and 20 in 1990 so the 80s were great for me. My daughter gravitates towards the 80s too so at least there is that.

As a latchkey kid though (Gen-X) the TV was always on so removing the background noise is not something I'm comfortable with. There are still things the streaming services can't provide such as old episodes of Gunsmoke and my morning local news.

But yeah, when we do manage to find a show it's usually a bitchfest about this person and that person and so on.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I still like TV on the big screen, many shows that interest me.

14. Gutwrench, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I didn’t watch television from 2002 to 2014 and didn’t miss it because that was my lifestyle. My lifestyle changed again and now I’m back using a tv in a limited scope and quite happy.

So, do as you please.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Btw, I don’t see big screens going away, but possibly getting bigger. :)

16. CarlySwinson macrumors newbie

CarlySwinson

What is a TV :p I use my laptop to watch all the cool stuff. Though i should take a leaf from your book though and take a break from all those TV series for a couple of months atleast.

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

There's a new 8K 85" TV coming out. Samsung has a 110" TV. Once I can start putting movie theater size screens in my house I'll probably be approaching satisfaction. My wife however, thinks the 55" in the front room is already too large, LOL.

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

It's been AND gone, never gonna look back.

The moment i called Foxtel "You bastards" was the day i decided to cut the cord. and FTA..

If ever told myself "I missed it" they'd be something seriously wrong with me.

19. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

If I lived on the coast I’d be out there walking and reading under an umbrella. Life is about how we choose to spend our disposable time. Who’s to say if tv is a vice? We often trade one vice for another anyway.

20. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I don't watch TV much anymore. But I spend too much time web surfing instead.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The bigger issue now is not the TV or it’s content but the bitterness that the internet is providing. I am in many ways more repulsed by what I read in social media than what I see on TV.

22. Sword86 macrumors regular

Boy....coming close. I just can’t take all the ads and I don’t see all too many of ‘em since I PVR just about all that I watch. The price of cable service is starting to make me ask, “why am I paying this money and seeing ads at all?”. The cable companies are starting to get what’s coming to them.
    I’d miss the live sports, but that’s changing too. Just getting less important to me in my old age. S

23. Mellofello808 macrumors regular

I have a huge TV with everything possible connected to it for entertainment. However I use it less and less. I consciously try to limit my tv watching to a few hours per week.

Not planning on getting rid of it any time soon because I do enjoy video games, football, and good shows. Definitely never gonna be a couch potato again though.

It is insane to me that the average American watches 4 hours of tv per day. My brain would melt.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, not giving up TV, for some (admittedly the minority) its a good thing. Now I don't watch a lot of tv, mostly sports and home improvement, but still I see no reason to give up something that I enjoy,

25. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I watch very little TV, but have lived for months at a time, both abroad and in other cities, without one.