Anybody like Alton Brown?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I am watching his show Good Eats right now. He is kinda off beat and a bit strange but thats why I really like his show. and the detail of explaining why things are in the cooking world is amazing and interesting.

From watching his show, and reading his book, I can do a lot more in the kitchen and understand the science at work.

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I love his show! It's one of my favourites on Food TV, i love how he tells you about food with scientific explanations. Pure genius and a great show.

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Yep. By far the best show on the Food Network.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I love love love alton brown!!

If I had cable or the Good Eats DVD box set I'd be watching him right now. :)

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I adore him (as many of you know).

He'll be so close... alas, I lack the funds. :(

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i love his shows, but i get the distinct impression that he's not very nice in real life. the way he would talk down to the contestants on the next food network star didn't leave me with a positive reflection of the guy. know-it-all smart ass. :)

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt make most of the other Food Channel shows look silly.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I have all of the good eats DVDs .... (and a book or 2) :D

9. GradientMac macrumors regular

GradientMac

I LOVE Alton Brown! I watch food TV all the time it's like my favourite channel :)

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I record all the episodes, and learn something new each time. He's a food geek, as much interested in the "why" as the "how". Less about recipes, and more about the chemistry underlying the process. That, and kitchen techniques have made me measurably better as a cook and more efficient in the kitchen. I want more Feasting on Asphalt! Certainly more than four episodes at a time...

11. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

I really enjoy watching his show, I love how he explains scientific things in a 'funny' way :D He is a god in the cooking world and uses Mac:cool: hehe

-Victor

12. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I think I am Good Eats bulimic.
    At times I will watch it whenever it is on and record to watch later. Other times I can't watch it at all.
    Never got into Asphalt.

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

His shows are pretty good. I like Bobby Flay too, he's got great personality.

14. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Even through I am a 16 year old dude, I do watch his show (a favorite of mine) and other cooking shows on the Food Network...

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

saw him in a grocery store one time while in atlanta. I think that's where he lives. He kept to himself. But it was still cool

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Never met the guy, so can't say if I like him or not- but I put his cooking shows up there with some of the most interesting ones to watch.
    I do love how he gets into the scientific/chemical reasons as to why some foods/temperatures etc... work better.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I love the way the show is filmed. So unique for a cooking show.

18. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I LOVE Good Eats, I watch it every chance I get, and always have a bunch of episodes on my DVR. I wish they would make some new ones though. I've literally seen every episode at least 3 times :)

And I agree with JohnNotBeatle We want more Feasting On Asphalt! Bring on Season 3.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my gf loves cooking, and this show. We must have about 2 dozen of them stored on our dvr right now! And she even takes notes while watching the show so she can remember what tips Alton gave!

20. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

If I remember correctly, he does use Macs a lot (or maybe thats just what the Food Network uses) so he could be a reader of Mac Rumors and maybe these forums? :confused:

21. fotografica macrumors 68040

Good Eats is a great show.I like how he explains things. He doesn't get too scientific,yet expains it well and keeps it fun. I like him the best of all the Food Network shows..Then again,Giada could demonstrate how to boil water and for some reason I would find it interesting [​IMG]

22. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

The show on boiling sugar was classic.

23. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

My wife is a food channel junky. She never cooks anymore, but whenever she's home, the TV has to be on the food channel.

Strange.

24. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

He taught me how to make a perfect french-fold omelette...an essential piece of kitchen knowledge :)

25. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Don't look at the UFO! LMAO :)

P.S. I can't stand Giada, she just gets on my nerves. But then again, Im Gay LOL :)