Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I ordered the Mac Mini M1 8gb from Amazon.(which was sold and shipped from Amazon.com itself, not from a 3rd party seller) It was the $599 price, so I couldn't resist. It was actually my 2nd one. I got the 1st one from Costco because I had a $75 gift card for upgrading my Costco membership last month.

Anyway.... Amazon shipped it the same day and I got it the next morning. It was delivered by Amazon's own delivery vans. I was shocked when I saw that it came in a large plastic mailer/bag, which had zero protection. I immediately knew something was wrong when I picked it up. The box did not feel straight... almost like a crushed cereal box.. and sadly, I was right.

The Apple Mac Mini box was crushed in 3 corners. Not just dented, but literally crushed in by at least 1.5 inches. I powered up the Mac Mini and it actually worked just fine. Now I'm wondering if I should ask Amazon to replace it.... will play with it a couple more days and see what happens.

Do the Amazon employees inside the Amazon warehouse somehow think that it was okay to put a computer, even if it's a small Mac Mini in just a plastic bag? Strangely, when I ordered a 24-pack of nori(seaweed snack), it came in the usual large Amazon cardboard box and had plenty of clear plastic airbags to protect them... <sigh>

Reactions: macsound1

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
I ordered the Mac Mini M1 8gb from Amazon.(which was sold and shipped from Amazon.com itself, not from a 3rd party seller) It was the $599 price, so I couldn't resist. It was actually my 2nd one. I got the 1st one from Costco because I had a $75 gift card for upgrading my Costco membership last month.

Anyway.... Amazon shipped it the same day and I got it the next morning. It was delivered by Amazon's own delivery vans. I was shocked when I saw that it came in a large plastic mailer/bag, which had zero protection. I immediately knew something was wrong when I picked it up. The box did not feel straight... almost like a crushed cereal box.. and sadly, I was right.

The Apple Mac Mini box was crushed in 3 corners. Not just dented, but literally crushed in by at least 1.5 inches. I powered up the Mac Mini and it actually worked just fine. Now I'm wondering if I should ask Amazon to replace it.... will play with it a couple more days and see what happens.

Do the Amazon employees inside the Amazon warehouse somehow think that it was okay to put a computer, even if it's a small Mac Mini in just a plastic bag? Strangely, when I ordered a 24-pack of nori(seaweed snack), it came in the usual large Amazon cardboard box and had plenty of clear plastic airbags to protect them... <sigh>

Mine arrived last night in a shipping box. I still need to open it.

Anytime I have had issues Amazon has made it right.

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I would definitely ask for a refund. I would also demand better packaging for your computer.

I've been a Prime member with Amazon for at least 15 years straight... whenever there was a shipping issue like this, they always claimed that they would escalate the issue to make sure that it wouldn't happen. nothing ever changed... (not that I was surprised) :)

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Hopefully you took photos of the packaging.

That's not really necessary with Amazon. They always took care of the issues.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to ask for a replacement. When I get home tonight, I'm going to pack it up and drop it off at Kohl's Amazon return counter.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Ouch. I am sure Amazon will make it right, but this should have never happened.

BTW, how did you get a M1 for $599. The only mini I see on Amazon is $669.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The box is crushed but nothing is wrong with the actual Mac? Do you keep the box for posterity or resale or something?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019

at checkout, it will take off $70, making it $599. (which matches Costco)

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004

Under the price it shows save $70 at check out.

It looks like they are no longer offering a savings when using Discover Cash Back.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Perhaps Bezos can drop our deliveries from outer space ;) Seriously, I've only had a couple of packages (sold and shipped by them) over the years that had goods that clearly needed to be in more than the thin bubble wrap envelopes. Luckily, they weren't damaged. But for computers for heaven's sake, they need good boxing with good internal padding!!!

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Perhaps Bezos can drop our deliveries from outer space ;) Seriously, I've only had a couple of packages (sold and shipped by them) over the years that had goods that clearly needed to be in more than the thin bubble wrap envelopes. Luckily, they weren't damaged. But for computers for heaven's sake, they need good boxing with good internal padding!!!

I don't object to delivery from space... but will Mr. Bezos pay to fill the crater in my yard?(or the hole in my roof) :)

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
You should take pictures. They may want to see proof.

like I mentioned, I've been a Prime member for over 15 years. Never heard of them asking for photo proof or police report for damaged or stolen packages...

I already requested a replacement via online chat. I asked the Amazon rep to ship it with giftwrap/bag so it will have a much better chance of being shipped in a cardboard box this time. Estimated delivery is tomorrow.. The one with the damaged box was just dropped off at Kohl's because I was too lazy to pack it in a cardboard box. (PSA: Kohl's gave me a $5-off-$5 coupon when they printed out the Amazon return receipt... although I ended up buying some small chocolates. :) )

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
like I mentioned, I've been a Prime member for over 15 years. Never heard of them asking for photo proof or police report for damaged or stolen packages.

I already requested a replacement and the one with the damaged box was just dropped off at Kohl's because I was too lazy to pack it in a cardboard box. (PSA: Kohl's gave me a $5-off-$5 coupon when they printed out the Amazon return receipt... although I ended up buying some small chocolates. :) )
It is always good to protect yourself even when you are a prime member. That was the point. You don't agree and that is fine.

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
It is always good to protect yourself even when you are a prime member. That was the point. You don't agree and that is fine.

No.. I'm always open-minded to all advice and suggestions. :)

If I did take a picture of the damaged box, how would it have helped me if Amazon claim that I damaged it myself? Although.. I do have a video of the Amazon guy dropping off the Mac at my front porch. I should have picked up the bag and opened it right there so the video could show me opening a bag with a damaged Mac box inside. :)

When my packages are stolen, I always call the local police and file an official report. (well, for items that are at least a couple of hundred dollars anyway) They usually send a bored detective out and make the report. Nothing ever happened... last year, I even had a clear video of the man who stole two pairs of Ray-ban sunglasses from my porch. He didn't even care... since he deliberately looked directly into my door camera and waved. The cop said they just didnt' have the resources to catch and prosecute every porch pirate. :(

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
No.. I'm always open-minded to all advice and suggestions. :)

If I did take a picture of the damaged box, how would it have helped me if Amazon claim that I damaged it myself? Although.. I do have a video of the Amazon guy dropping off the Mac at my front porch. I should have picked up the bag and opened it right there so the video could show me opening a bag with a damaged Mac box inside. :)

When my packages are stolen, I always call the local police and file an official report. (well, for items that are at least a couple of hundred dollars anyway) They usually send a bored detective out and make the report. Nothing ever happened... last year, I even had a clear video of the man who stole two pairs of Ray-ban sunglasses from my porch. He didn't even care... since he deliberately looked directly into my door camera and waved. The cop said they just didnt' have the resources to catch and prosecute every porch pirate. :(
Get mark rober's glitter bomb :)

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
The cop said they just didnt' have the resources to catch and prosecute every porch pirate. :(
Those are two separate entities that handle that. Are they both saying they're not worried about crime? I'm kind of curious if the district attorney (who is elected, at least in Texas) is ok with them not putting much effort in to catching the criminal.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
I got my Ryzen 5950x sent in a plastic mailer bag by amazon TBA delivery. Thank goodness nothing was crushed but you'd expect at least a box not a plastic bag! But get this I also ordered a bag of small velcro it's basically half the size of the 5950x box and it was sent in a big BOX!

tokenmacdude

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
What cmaier asked - why return it if it works as it should? Seriously, there appears to be nothing wrong with the Mac Mini itself, so why return a perfectly good product? It boggles the mind ... If you're that bothered by it, open it up and verify that everything is as it should be on the inside.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The box is crushed but nothing is wrong with the actual Mac? Do you keep the box for posterity or resale or something?
How do you know nothing is wrong with the Mac? Maybe the logic board got slightly dislodged. There is a reason Apple doesn’t just put the boxes in a plastic bag. And yes, I do keep the original box since it helps for resale.

I usually sell my old iPhones/iPads/Macs on Swappa or the Marketplace here. My view is that a used device is a new one to the person buying it. I take care of my devices and neatly repack them in the original boxes when I ship them to the buyers. There is a reason I have high positive feedback on every forum where I’ve sold.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I keep the boxes too for trade-ins. Although Apple doesn’t require the boxes, other trade-in vendors ask whether it’s included before quoting, and is often mentioned in used product descriptions. They’re good for safer shipping too. That said, it doesn’t sound like you’re saying it’s a bad idea to keep the boxes.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
How do you know nothing is wrong with the Mac? Maybe the logic board got slightly dislodged. There is a reason Apple doesn’t just put the boxes in a plastic bag. And yes, I do keep the original box since it helps for resale.

I usually sell my old iPhones/iPads/Macs on Swappa or the Marketplace here. My view is that a used device is a new one to the person buying it. I take care of my devices and neatly repack them in the original boxes when I ship them to the buyers. There is a reason I have high positive feedback on every forum where I’ve sold.
How do I know? I don’t. That’s what the question mark in my post means.

Reactions: Strepitus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.