iPhone XR Anybody return the XR to get an XS/Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renho, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Maybe a little early for this but was wondering how many have actually returned the XR for the XS and why, what was the main reason you didn’t want the so called cheaper phone??

2. menist macrumors 6502

menist

I did today. I like the size and battery life, but the one I had, has blue tint on all four corners, while on a white screen or white background. I'll be getting a XS.

3. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

So you didn’t want to just exchange and get another one?

4. menist macrumors 6502

menist

I had a good 2 and a half days with it, gut feeling says no.

5. est1738 macrumors regular

I did. I guess at first I didn’t realize how much I really used 3D Touch. But the omission and not enough haptic touch actions to completely replace it kept me from it.

There are other smaller reasons, however that was one of the big ones.

6. ImAnAgent Suspended

ImAnAgent

I waited until the XR came out before I bought this years iPhone. After seeing the XR, I decided to get the XS Max instead. I like the bigger battery plus 3D Touch. I'm just not sure how I feel about all the gestures and no home button.

7. hr10 macrumors regular

I have been using both X and Xr back and forth at home
    I do notice the screen is not as crisp but on the other hand the speaker on the Xr is noticeably better
    I might just keep my X for another year

8. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

I always use 3D Touch, pop and peak is huge for me. But i did hear Instagram and others are going to make there apps adapt to it so it works.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    You will get use to it in no time. Now after swiping for the last 2 years. The home button seems so primitive to me now. Home buttons are going away forever in every single phone out there in time. Might as well get use to it now.
    Well I think going from an X to XR is a downgrade. Your use to all the top tier tech.

9. ImAnAgent Suspended

ImAnAgent

I know I'll get used to it. It's just such a maybe change. I know some of the greatest have existed for the past few years, I just never used them on my 7+ or 8+. I am enjoying my phone. Today we'll be there first full day using it at home and my job. I have the Apple leather folio case on it.

10. jp1212 macrumors member

I'm loving the XR so far. However, I would estimate I do 80% of my work from my phone. The XR is much easier for me to use single handed coming from my 7+ (which I loved). However, I want to use the Max for a few days to see if it's really worth the extra expense and size for extra screen real estate. I may end up returning the XR, trying to Max and again returning the Max for the XR. The lack of decent XR cases is also annoying. If I didn't depend on my phone so much for work purposes I would 100% stick with the XR. There's really nothing I dislike about it. I'm just trying to convince myself I'm not missing out on the Max.

11. doboy macrumors 68020

I went the opposite way after having the Max for ~ 4 weeks.

12. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

What made you do that?

13. LordKuroda macrumors newbie

Would love to hear your input as well, as I am currently having the same dilemma, tho it is compelling to switch over from the Max to the XR with the extended battery life.

14. doboy macrumors 68020

Mainly because I didn't see additional $450+ tax value in the Max over the XR. Max was a great device and I never ran into connectivity issues, but didn't want to put up with a device that I felt was overpriced for what it was. Sure all Apple devices are overpriced to some degree, but Max and MacBooks with 256GB are especially overpriced in my mind.

Against Max:
    1. I only need 128 GB storage, but Max only offers 256 GB for extra $150 instead of $50 extra on XR for 128.
    2. I own an OLED TV and love that thing to death, but don't need it on a tiny screen.
    3. Having the tele lens is very nice to have, but I don't use my phone camera too often and having just wide lens is good enough for me.
    4. I currently use 12.9" iPad Pro and 10.5" iPad Pro at home so my phone is not my primary browsing device.

For Max:
    1. Loved 3D Touch on my iPhone 7+ and used it daily so will miss it, but I can adjust since my iPads don't have 3D Touch either.

So only reason to go with the Max was the 3D Touch for me. Screen is little larger on the Max, but again iPhone is not my primary browsing device. If I commuted to work on public transit maybe Max could've been better.

15. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

Ya you defiantly don’t need an XS.

Oh man did you see the new iPad Pro? Holy crap I want one and I don’t even need one. Those things are beasts!

16. doboy macrumors 68020

Just saw it. $799 starting for an iPad is too much in my mind, but they go on sale for $100-200 off during the holidays.

17. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

Way too much, but it’s suppose to take place of your computer. I wish I had a job where it was needed.

18. doboy macrumors 68020

Yeah maybe eventually, but not with current iOS implementation. Everything they announced today feels more overpriced than usual and I’ve been using Apple products for well over a decade now.

19. urkel macrumors 68030

I currently have an X and Max but am considering the XR.

Things I care about:

- Screen (OLED gives me headaches. I think. It may be the sensors too)
    - Weight (Not sure why, but Max feels so heavy/unbalanced. X and XR feel light as air)
    - Reeeaach Abilities (I have big hands but I have trouble with 6.5")
    - Portrait Mode (Im intrigued by the wide angle Pixel-style potraits ive seen.)

Things I dont care about
    - Price (Dont care. I am a well trained Apple fan)
    - Storage Tiers (128GB is the sweet spot. And for $50 more only?!? Heck yeah!)
    - Color (Dont care. I use a case. But that piano black looks slick)
    - Sub Par Screen (Its a phone. Not a home theater.)
    - Thicker Bezels (I dont get this. Cases cause "borders" so this isnt a big deal at all)

My biggest concern is the headaches issue. Hopefully its OLED and the XR will solve it. But if its the sensor then I dont know what to do next...

20. ATC macrumors 65816

Had the XR since Friday and I still cannot get used to its size/weight - coming from the 7, the weight increase and size impact on one-handed usability are very noticeable, and I'm 6'4" with hands to match. I find that I'm having to hold the XR in an awkward unbalanced way to reach many areas on the screen.

I just ordered a 256 XS which should be here next week. Will keep using the XR to see if I can get used to it, but I'll switch to the XS when it comes and decide after that on whether to keep the XR or XS. I do love the XR otherwise, it's a great phone and that battery life... and I hate that there isn't a 128GB option on the XS.

21. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

But that’s the theme now, With everything. The XR is over priced, the XS is over priced. A freaking styles (pencil) is $130. I mean wow.
    I have big hands and can’t reach the top either, that’s why I use reachability. Once you get use to actually using it, it’s fine.

But the headaches are a big thing, what did doc say?

22. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from the 6s to the XR, so I understand your dilemma with the size/weight, especially after adding a glass screen protector and case. Still, I wanted a larger screen and love zoom display on the XR. It's a moderate zoom, so it gives nicely-sized text to my eyes.

I can't say that price didn't enter the equation, because it did. I would love a Max, but I couldn't wrap my brain around paying over 50% more ($799 for 128GB XR to $1249 for 256GB Max) for basically OLED over LCD (I realize there are a couple of other goodies, but screen display is the difference that would really matter to me). I'm fine with the XR screen for a hand-held computer.

23. est1738 macrumors regular

As earlier I switched. But I am probably going to return the max, and keep the xr. I switched back because 3D Touch. But I just don’t feel like it’s worth $450. 128gb Xr to 256gb XsMax.

Also... I love the size of the max, but geez it’s a huge phone.

24. doboy macrumors 68020

Yeah, some things are overpriced and some are WAY overpriced.
    I think the biggest mistake Apple made (for their bottom line) for XR is including the same processor as the XS series :)

25. hr10 macrumors regular

Xr and Max are like Apple Watch aluminum and stainless. It would be awesome if Apple can offer sapphire glass on the Max