Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJBro1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Is anyone running it on a macbook pro with 9600m geforce card? If so how does it run? What os are you using?

Tharian

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
You should have no problem. It ran on medium at 720 resolution (though without v-sync or whatever it's called) on a 9400m macbook. Looked great!

-d

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I, too, run it on an 8600M just fine. I use medium settings with 1280x800 resolution. Everything works just fine that way.

Spitfir3x

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
I have an 8600m as well i have the pc version and tried using crossover and parallels to run it but I got errors every time. Do you think it would work with bootcamp? Or should I just suck it up and get the mac version?

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I use my Bootcamp XP partition. You won't be able to run it any other way.

StopSign24

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Dragon Age on 13" Macbook Pro

I use Crossover Games to play Dragon Age on my 13" Macbook Pro unibody, and while I'm not entirely happy with the results (usually 15-25 FPS) it gets the job done. Thats at the lowest settings and the lowest resolution. I don't really understand how some people can play it at native resolution with the same video card and say that it's playable, then again, they probably use Bootcamp.

krimsen

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
17" uMBP, native resolution, XP bootcamp, don't know exact settings, but I always use at least 2x AA. Works like a charm, frames dropping to about 15-20 when it gets crowded. Good game, but it didn't last long.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
I use my Bootcamp XP partition. You won't be able to run it any other way.

well aaaaactually....

i play the windows version under bootcamp win7 64 bit and it runs very well

but i did install it on my parallels 5 install of im pretty sure again it was win7 because i wanted to be able to play with the toolset from osx

i tried to play it a bit on basically lowest settings for everything

no its not pretty but i could definitely play it.... bit of a waste of a nicelooking game but it is possible :p was suprised

BigWidowsPeak

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
I have the aluminum unibody Macbook, 9400m nvidia graphics chip, 2.0 ghz core 2 duo and 2GB of RAM. I downloaded the mac edition of the game from direct2drive since people with the same machine report it running well at medium settings. Unfortunately on any setting the game does not exceed what looks like 20FPS. Not sure if my memory is bottlenecking it to high hell or if my machine is just whacked. I hope there's some way of getting it playable. :/ Anyone have the mac version?

nabsterz

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Dao

How did u guys get it to work. I have a macbook pro 13" with bootcamped win7 32-bit and i can never get past the character creation screen. It always freezes there and i have to shut my laptop through the reset button. intel core 2 duo 2.26 ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia 9400

ninjamoby

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
512 mb 8600m gt, 2,5 ghz C2D mbp, I'm playing it under Windows 7 64 bit. Mid-high settings, 1440x900 or 1680x1050 on my external screen, runs great. :)

I have the same system as you and am averaging around 15 fps (20 max) on 1280x800 with lower settings.

Any tips about how to improve?

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Are you using the graphics drivers that came with bootcamp? If so, upgrade them from the nvidia site. That should improve the performance.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I have a Macbook Pro 2.8GHz (2009) with a GeForce 9600M GT Graphics Card. It runs OS X 10.6.5 - it runs pretty well, but slows down in the Temple area in Haven. I'm happy with it. I don't like to reboot in Boot Camp. It's much more convenient to run it in OS X.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
How did u guys get it to work. I have a macbook pro 13" with bootcamped win7 32-bit and i can never get past the character creation screen. It always freezes there and i have to shut my laptop through the reset button. intel core 2 duo 2.26 ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia 9400

Good question. I think I have your exact same Macbook Pro 13". Same amount of ram, and same video card. The only difference is that I'm using Windows XP and not Win7. So I wonder if your issue may be more of a Win 7 video driver issue. On XP, it just works, I let it set defaults for my settings and then bump up a couple of settings to medium. (Whatever doesn't slow things down). It's not screaming in speed, but it is definitely quite playable for this type of game.

You have to be a bit modest with your settings, but it still looks pretty nice, for what it's worth.

-Resolution at 800x600. (For the 9400, this is generally the resolution you want if you want to turn up some of these other settings without a detrimental impact in your framerate)
-Full Screen
-Use Vertical Sync (You might gain a bit of performance turning it off, but I tend to favor this in this game)
-GraphicDetail Level 1
-No Anti-aliasing
-Texture Pack 2 (Which means I do bump up the texture use a bit. With 4GB ram, you can spare it with little to no affect on framerate.)
-EnableFrameBufferEffects 1 (I turn this on. I believe this is the setting that enables stuff like that dreamy wavy look in the locale of your first test. At least for those going the wizard route. Without that, the place doesn't have that affect and looks clear and crisp, and just as real as the regular world. Oddly enough, this is one of the medium settings that you can get away with, in combination with the above settings.)
-Enable Shadows 1 (Simple shadows are fine to turn on. They are important dressing for the look of the game, and the default setting might short change you for what is really possible on your MBP.)
-AnisotropicFilteringLevel 0 (I leave this at 0. Not much of a sacrifice in look compared to turning on or off Frame Buffer Effects)

Take note, these are a little on the modest side, but I was going for the most I can do and still keep high enough performance so that there is room for more intense scenes and sequences without dropping the frame rate much further than what I allow. This setup generally keeps the framerate consistent throughout much of the game and not simply for low-content areas. Bumping up more of these, from my experience, may have left the low-content areas seemingly run just as well, but once a scene got busier, the framerate would chop.

If I was on the 9600, the first thing I would do would be to keep these settings and bump up the resolution to native and see how it runs. If it is flying (as expected), then I'd start turning up some of these effects a bit more until the drop in frames becomes easily noticed. It's way more important to maintain a framerate that doesn't drop below around 20 than to select eye-candy that fluctuates below that number when the scene gets busy. The last thing you want to do is have the game interfere with your control response as you'll be spinning the camera and making selections a lot. <-- (Why I favor V-sync here) Just the nature of the game. What you will likely notice is that some of these settings hardly make a dent in the framerate on a dedicated card, while maybe a few of them do make a big difference. So in a way, you can adjust a game that looks almost like high settings at first quick glance, but cheats a few things to keep the framerate up.

Last edited:

ninjamoby

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
Are you using the graphics drivers that came with bootcamp? If so, upgrade them from the nvidia site. That should improve the performance.

I updated the drivers and am still getting less than 20 FPS on medium settings and 1280x800 resolution.

Maybe there's a different update I need to try?

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2011
I have the aluminum unibody Macbook, 9400m nvidia graphics chip, 2.0 ghz core 2 duo and 2GB of RAM. I downloaded the mac edition of the game from direct2drive since people with the same machine report it running well at medium settings. Unfortunately on any setting the game does not exceed what looks like 20FPS. Not sure if my memory is bottlenecking it to high hell or if my machine is just whacked. I hope there's some way of getting it playable. :/ Anyone have the mac version?

I am using the same computer as you are but with 4gb upgraded RAM. I play on lowest settings and res and I stutter at around 15FPS for about four to five minutes, then I can reach up and touch with the tippy tippy ends of my fingers, a whopping 28FPS! WOW! Blarg, I figure it'll run better if I pay $100.00 for windows.

E.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.